Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replaced my corded mobile connector with the gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a period of time where both were available from shop.tesla.com, but I am not sure whether or not that is still the case. It would be another data point, though, if the service center is telling you the gen 1 is no longer available.

Gen 1 UMC is still listed in the shop just out of stock. I think they will probably remove it soon as I don't see why they will keep making them when all the new Tesla (S/X/3) came only with Gen 2.

Gen 1 UMC is still listed in the shop just out of stock. I think they will probably remove it soon as I don't see why they will keep making them when all the new Tesla (S/X/3) came only with Gen 2.
Because the new Tesla can still charge at the highest rate the Gen 1 adapter supports, which is higher than the Gen 2 adapter supports. I don't see why they would stop making it when the supply chain is already in place and they could have customers who live in remote locations who also drive enough to justify the higher charge rate. On a related note, they have a new wall connector that only does 48A max charge rate where the old one could do 80A, but there are still plenty of used Teslas on the road that have 72A and 80A on-board charging setups. Personally, I don't want to replace my 80A wall charger with a 48A wall charger if something goes wrong with it, and I don't want to replace my 40A UMC with a 32A UMC if something goes wrong with it, either. I actually go somewhere that is far away and has no chargers near it, and I've actually had to wait on the vehicle to charge there because I was limited to 40A, 32A would be 20% worse.

Because the new Tesla can still charge at the highest rate the Gen 1 adapter supports, which is higher than the Gen 2 adapter supports. I don't see why they would stop making it when the supply chain is already in place and they could have customers who live in remote locations who also drive enough to justify the higher charge rate. On a related note, they have a new wall connector that only does 48A max charge rate where the old one could do 80A, but there are still plenty of used Teslas on the road that have 72A and 80A on-board charging setups. Personally, I don't want to replace my 80A wall charger with a 48A wall charger if something goes wrong with it, and I don't want to replace my 40A UMC with a 32A UMC if something goes wrong with it, either. I actually go somewhere that is far away and has no chargers near it, and I've actually had to wait on the vehicle to charge there because I was limited to 40A, 32A would be 20% worse.

Same reason company always trim their product lines. Each product lines potentially need separate supplies, manuals, maintenance, spare parts, etc. and creates another configuration point. That is why they go for the lowest common denominator.

Hi all,

Under warranty my corded mobile connector was replaced with the gen 2. As we know the gen 2 only does 32 amps so charging is slower. Did they discontinue the corded which does 40 amps? I'm not happy. I much prefer the previous model for charging speed.

Thanks,

Greg
If your talking about the high power wall charger coming directly from AC panel, does the gen 2 not have dip switch for choosing amps

This is exactly my issue. 90 percent of the time no biggie. but sometimes I have a limited amount of time to charge. Also, for the Model 3, the first gen charger is really fast. I'm disappointed but I'm going to watch this and will request an exchange if it becomes availble. The guy at Tesla indicated there were lots of issues with the first gen unit and that is why it was discontinued. We'll see....

KingBozo: Nope....this is the adapter that comes with the car.