Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacement parts now 66% cheaper. Bumper Cover was $1200 now $320

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much it will be to replace the lcds inside the car post warranty!

Expect the main screen to be pricey, not because of the display, but because it is an integrated control module (think computer with a lot of responsibilities).

In the meantime, does anyone know the latest costs of the two front underbody panels (that seem to catch on everything)? Several months ago the SC was estimating $500+.

If that's the case, I might actually buy a new windshield during my next service visit. After 73k miles, my window is destroyed with nic's from road debris. it looks 'metallic' in the sun from the tens of thousands of little pits, lol. then maybe my ezpass will start working too...

I've been reading rumors that we may see a redesigned or significantly refreshed Model S during the X reveal. I wonder if the price reduction on existing parts might portend such a change? I'm just speculating.

I think this just has to do with economies of scale. In the past 2 years they have more than doubled the delivery rate of new vehicles (I'm not using production rate because production count is inconsistently reported). There are a lot of fixed costs involved in manufacturing an automobile (and replacement parts). As they make parts and vehicles faster the fixed cost portion of the part falls.

Some of these parts are made by 3rd party suppliers. Suppliers that have to go setup to produce the part, do a run of it and then probably produce something else for a while. If Tesla is needing more and more parts the overhead of setting up to do a run is decreased. They start offering the parts for less. Maybe they even get to the point where they don't tear down the production setup and it's up all the time.

When it comes to replacement parts even for parts they're no longer putting on new vehicles the more vehicles on the road the higher the demand for those parts.

This seems far more simple to me than the idea that Tesla's price decrease signals a new design.

I backed my Model S into one side of my open wrought iron gate yesterday and damaged my rear bumper with a gaping hole. I still can't believe I didn't notice the gate edge looming in my backup camera! Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should or shouldn't go to a Tesla-approved body shop vs my former go-to favorite and whether it is something expensive enough to require reporting to my insurance or reasonable enough to just cover myself? Is it the bumper or the bumper cover that was damaged? I don't know what the difference is. Any other advice for me?

I backed my Model S into one side of my open wrought iron gate yesterday and damaged my rear bumper with a gaping hole. I still can't believe I didn't notice the gate edge looming in my backup camera! Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should or shouldn't go to a Tesla-approved body shop vs my former go-to favorite and whether it is something expensive enough to require reporting to my insurance or reasonable enough to just cover myself? Is it the bumper or the bumper cover that was damaged? I don't know what the difference is. Any other advice for me?

Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. Must be frustrating. I had a minor fender bender two years ago and I was SHOCKED to see that it was a $20,000 repair bill. When I was getting it fixed, it was surprising that there was only ONE Tesla authorized repair shop in town (I live in San Diego). It took over 2 months to fix. Maybe now they have more parts and more authorized repair centers per city. But first thing is you might want to see how many Tesla approved body shops there are in your town.

I'd be shocked to hear about it making sense to cover it yourself as your deductible surely can't be as high as the repair bill will be. I was worried after that minor accident about any future damage. I also had to replace the windshield from a rock flying from highway and it was also quite a bit of money for a windshield.

Glad to hear prices are coming down on replacement parts. The repair shop that fixed my car (Amato's) was PACKED with Model S's that needed repairs. (This was back in 2014).

I'll also guess that volumes account for the price drop. Looking good for the Model 3, since I have been concerned about my future repair self-insurance liability. Now we just need more independent garage involvement for the Tesla owning rural folk who are hours away from a SC.

Last edited:
I bought a new windshield in 2013 and it cost $993.61 (including tax). I asked him for the new pricing and he sent me this picture. Apparently It's $520 or $540 depending on heated windshield wipers or not. I'm guessing those are the pre-tax numbers.

View attachment 86463

That's a sweet drop. Especially for those of us with windshield tint since, invisible or not, that ain't cheap to have redone after a windshield replacement.

Feeling better about my significantly micropitted windshield already...