Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Replaces Half Dozen Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hockeythug

Jun 3, 2013
Minnesota
Sources familiar with those changes confirmed to Electrek that they had to make over a half dozen of them. In most cases, the vehicles are still performing normally, but Tesla wants to replace a now “prototype” part with a production one or it has improved on a production part through the deployment of the Model 3 manufacturing lines.

Tesla replaces Model 3 headlights, battery, seats, and more while going through ‘production hell’

So much for that supplier vetting process.

Where does it say failed?

The headlights were replaced with an “upgraded version”, while the first version of the tail lights were susceptible to condensation – something that was visible in some Model 3 production candidates spotted in the wild earlier this year.

Tesla was nice enough to upgrade the headlights to ones that don't leak.

• Funny
Reactions: R.S and xav-
Glad to see their strategy of selling to employees first and figuring out the problems is working well.
Agreed. They can either do it this way and try to iterate quickly or do it the old fashioned way and take years testing alphas, betas, etc. trying to get everything just perfect. Pick your poison. There's no free lunch.

I can confirm.

Can a moderator please tell me why this was changed? Why was no note included saying a moderator changed it? This is very unethical.
I've had at least one of my posts in another thread (investor-related, IIRC) quietly moderator deleted w/no notice. As far as I could tell, it wasn't moved into another thread either (e.g. snippiness or anywhere else).

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Why was no note included saying a moderator changed it?

See post 11. rabar10 said he changed it to remove the word "failed".

Why? Probably because the article you linked (quoted in your first post) said:

In most cases, the vehicles are still performing normally, but Tesla wants to replace a now “prototype” part with a production one or it has improved on a production part through the deployment of the Model 3 manufacturing lines.

Still performing normally, replacing prototype parts or improvements doesn't sound like failing parts.

I've had at least one of my posts in another thread (investor-related, IIRC) quietly moderator deleted w/no notice. As far as I could tell, it wasn't moved into another thread either (e.g. snippiness or anywhere else).

I wanna know why the moderators think they are newspaper editors now and can edit posts on a car forum because they purely personally dissagree with it. Nothing was against forum rules.

Last edited: