Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Replacing Gen 1 UMC with Gen 2 UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a call from the Austin Service Center a few minutes ago saying they were going to bring me a Gen 2 charger (32A). I asked him what was going to happen to my Gen 1 UMC (40A). He said that they were going to return it to Tesla and I told him that I would not allow that to happen.

Has anyone else gotten a call from Tesla to replace your good working Gen 1 UMC charger?

Did they use the word "recall"?
No they did not say it was a recall. They just said that they were going to bring a Gen 2 UMC to my house and take the Gen 1 back. I checked the Tesla website and the Gen 2 IMC only comes with a 14-50 and a 5-15 adapter. I have all of the adapters for the Gen 1 UMC so there is no way I would take the Gen 2 without all of the adapters for it. It seems a stupid idea to go from a 40A charger to a 32A UMC charger.

3 of my Gen 1 UMC adapters were recalled do to some overheating issues and they were replaced.

No they did not say it was a recall. They just said that they were going to bring a Gen 2 UMC to my house and take the Gen 1 back. I checked the Tesla website and the Gen 2 IMC only comes with a 14-50 and a 5-15 adapter. I have all of the adapters for the Gen 1 UMC so there is no way I would take the Gen 2 without all of the adapters for it. It seems a stupid idea to go from a 40A charger to a 32A UMC charger.

3 of my Gen 1 UMC adapters were recalled do to some overheating issues and they were replaced.
If they swap out your UMC, I would think they would be willing to swap out the adapters too. I will certainly be making that request if they call me to swap out UMCs since we have 5-20 and 6-50 adapters. We previously had 10-50 and 14-30 adapters as well but never used them so we sold them.

We currently use our UMCs at 30 amps and will be installing the black WCs from the referral program later this year. While it is a bit disappointing that Gen 2 can only do 32 amps instead of 40 amps, it won't affect me 99% of the time.

I had a Tesla Mobile Service visit last Friday to replace recalled Takata airbag. As an additional item for this visit I requested replacement for my 40A UMC because it would sporadically fail to establish proper connection to the charging port and consequentially charge at a reduced (30A) rate. Tesla Mobile Service mechanic replaced my old 40A UMC with the brand new 40A UMC.

Reactions: sundaymorning
My Gen1 looks beat after 60,000 miles, so I'd be fine w/a free replacement. I can also only charge at 35 amps anyway because my rural house volts fluctuates too much for the car to hold 40. (YES, I've been over this, it's the power company).
I have a Tesla wall charger with a 100A breaker (80A to the car). I had a S85D with the 2nd charger so I could charge at 80A. My 2016 S90D only can charge at 72A, which did not make me happy but I paid for the additional charging capacity. I use my wall charger at home and Superchargers or UMC when I am on trips. I very seldom use my Gen 1 UMC so it looks brand new.

If you cannot charge at 40A most of the time, swapping for a Gen 2 UMC would be a good idea for you.

Reactions: boaterva
If there's any general replacement of the Gen 1's (someday?), this is really an issue for people that purchased several/a lot of the adapters. Tesla will be under no 'obligation' to replace those with the new pigtails for the Gen 2, but they definitely should have a policy.

Myself, I bought mostly 14-50 adapters and extension cords (to use with dryer outlets, trailer park TT-30, etc.) so this wouldn't be a problem if this happened wholesale down the road, but you do have to do the manual limit when charging. Pros and cons to doing it both ways....

They both come with the same adapters, remember... all the others are optional! You get the 'normal plug' and the 14-50. (Well, you get the 1772... if you want to count that as an UMC adapter!)

If there's any general replacement of the Gen 1's (someday?), this is really an issue for people that purchased several/a lot of the adapters. Tesla will be under no 'obligation' to replace those with the new pigtails for the Gen 2, but they definitely should have a policy.

Myself, I bought mostly 14-50 adapters and extension cords (to use with dryer outlets, trailer park TT-30, etc.) so this wouldn't be a problem if this happened wholesale down the road, but you do have to do the manual limit when charging. Pros and cons to doing it both ways....
I also made the 14-50 female receptacle to the various male plugs in case the Tesla Gen 1 power cord would not reach the receptacles. I also carry a 50 foot 40 amp extension cord and I have used it often to plug into dryer receptacles at friends houses when traveling where there are no Superchargers close (2015 and 2016). There are now a lot more Superchargers so it is not as big an issue.

Reactions: boaterva
Are you sure it was Tesla calling? :)
It seems odd. They did replace the UMCs at some point about three years ago with a slightly updated one. I didn't mind that of course. I would not give up my UMC for the new Gen2 one because I have mine connected to a 14-50 and I'm charging at 40 Ampere. I don't want to be limited to 32.

My Gen 1 charger was just replaced last week with a brand new Gen 1 charger because I kept getting red rings on known good plugs.

I'd be pretty unhappy with 32 amps. as our 50 amp 14-50s at work are limited to 3 hour time slots and it's barely enough at 40 amps.

Are you sure it was Tesla calling? :)
It seems odd. They did replace the UMCs at some point about three years ago with a slightly updated one. I didn't mind that of course. I would not give up my UMC for the new Gen2 one because I have mine connected to a 14-50 and I'm charging at 40 Ampere. I don't want to be limited to 32.
Yes it was definitely Tesla calling. I have their number in my iPhone contacts their named showed up in caller ID.

I agree, there is no way they are going to give me a 32 amp charger and take my Gen 1.

Thinking of buying a Gen 1 Charger from a 3rd party for the 40amps vs 32 amps.
No longer available from Tesla Store or supplied with S or X.
Does anyone have a reason they are swapping out?
Don’t want to get stuck with a defective product.

You can find them on ebay for around $400. Might be worth getting one now. Since Tesla doesn't make them any more the demand for those will go up.