Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing some battery packs with larger capacities 60/70->75kWh, 85->90kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems I got lucky :) or this is the new "norm" if you have an oddball pack size.

Just got confirmation from Tesla that I can pick up my car tomorrow and my app is reporting the 75kWh battery(and emailed receipt), they plugged it in and at the 50% mark the app is reporting 125mi, or 250mi rated at 100%.

I had to have my Classic MS60 replaced and offered to pay the difference to upgrade to anything bigger. Some I understand at one point went from 60-85 and as we know those with an 85 got 90’s. The SC said however that they can’t and tried to explain that the harness isn’t compatible.

I’d like to know if any has had any problems after a replacement or upgrade that would warrant them not willing to offer it anymore. I’d pay to get a 90 or even 100, even if it was software locked because it would theoretically last longer and charge faster, plus safe to charge 100%

BTW my remanufactured 60 has less than 58kWh capacity.

I had to have my Classic MS60 replaced and offered to pay the difference to upgrade to anything bigger. Some I understand at one point went from 60-85 and as we know those with an 85 got 90’s. The SC said however that they can’t and tried to explain that the harness isn’t compatible.

I’d like to know if any has had any problems after a replacement or upgrade that would warrant them not willing to offer it anymore. I’d pay to get a 90 or even 100, even if it was software locked because it would theoretically last longer and charge faster, plus safe to charge 100%

BTW my remanufactured 60 has less than 58kWh capacity.
@5StarAdvisor
Haven't seen a 60 go to a 85 or anyone going from a 350v pack to 400v pack. I did see recently this guy with a 2013 S60 had a 75 pack "Purchased a 2013 S60 or 75?"

Only problem I've had is the MCU charging screen is getting graphical glitches- Instead of "75Kw +15KW 298mi/hr" I'm getting crazy looking lines/black bars, but I get the same info fine in dash. Minor price to pay to get extra range I have no problem with at the moment.

When was your battery replaced with a refab pack and was the range any better? I've really only been noticing this putting of 75 packs in 60's/70's starting after Mid-End of 2018.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Companies generally won't allow that, as it incentivizes warranty fraud. It's their discretion to put in an upgraded component, not the customer's.

• Disagree
Reactions: 5StarAdvisor
I had the battery in my P85DL replaced by a new 85 kWh battery last summer. I had a loaner for more than 2 months while Tesla was searching for an appropriate replacement. At some point they also gave me the impression that it might end with a larger battery. But it didn't. It was my clear impression that they would have used whatever they had in stock with the same form factor.

@5StarAdvisor
Haven't seen a 60 go to a 85 or anyone going from a 350v pack to 400v pack. I did see recently this guy with a 2013 S60 had a 75 pack "Purchased a 2013 S60 or 75?"

Only problem I've had is the MCU charging screen is getting graphical glitches- Instead of "75Kw +15KW 298mi/hr" I'm getting crazy looking lines/black bars, but I get the same info fine in dash. Minor price to pay to get extra range I have no problem with at the moment.

When was your battery replaced with a refab pack.
@5StarAdvisor

When was your battery replaced with a refab pack and was the range any better? I've really only been noticing this putting of 75 packs in 60's/70's starting after Mid-End of 2018.

Owner: David Noland
Model 2013 Tesla Model S
Tesla SC: White Plains, New York
Price of 85kWh: $44,564 (as of time a article)
Price of 60kWh: $37,102 (as of time a article)
Net Difference: $7,457
Article Date: Dec 20, 2013
Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh

When my Battery was replaced it had less than originally.

I had the battery in my P85DL replaced by a new 85 kWh battery last summer. I had a loaner for more than 2 months while Tesla was searching for an appropriate replacement. At some point they also gave me the impression that it might end with a larger battery. But it didn't. It was my clear impression that they would have used whatever they had in stock with the same form factor.

This is only a trend I've noticed starting since about the end of last year. Since I created this post I've seen a ton more users reporting that they got 90's in their 85's. Believe it is related to sourcing packs issues.

Owner: David Noland
Model 2013 Tesla Model S
Tesla SC: White Plains, New York
Price of 85kWh: $44,564 (as of time a article)
Price of 60kWh: $37,102 (as of time a article)
Net Difference: $7,457
Article Date: Dec 20, 2013
Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh

When my Battery was replaced it had less than originally.

That battery upgrade from 350v to 400v is surprising and Interesting to know it's "theoretically" possible. But that swap seems like a fringe case and not something service centers actually do now, or even have a shred of interest to do.

Your replacement had less range that original pack had? that is really shocking since it's supposed to be equal or better range when replaced. What did they say when you brought this up?(I'm amusing you brought this up to them because I sure would have lol)

They sided and said that they would try to find a pack with a charging capacity at least similar to what mine originally had. It was earlier documented the maximum rated range in my old battery, so they agreed. Interesting Tesla lists their inventory of refurbished packs by original capacity.

My 85kw is also being replaced. Part of me wants a 90 and part of me doesn’t. If I could be sure it was a V3 90 I’d be thrilled. It’s supposed to be here Monday, so we will see.
my 85 battery just died on me!! no warning--- drained to Zero & now they're getting me a new battery from factory.

i asked if I'll be without my car for long....weird reply back from Tesla

Hello

We will replace the pack, with a working one from the factory, legally we cannot comment on more details then that.

I will continue the current warranty, NOT restart a new one.

Thank you, we will our best to get it done ASAP please keep in mind shipping delays

Thank you , we will update you as soon as we have more info

what did you end up with?
I ended up with a V3 90kw. They first replaced it with a non-ludicrous 85kw. After noticing I wasn’t getting the full 1500 amps they acknowledged the problem and fixed it. After a week or two they said they couldn’t source an 85kw ludicrous battery and they ended up replacing it with a 90kw battery. It is a V3 and from the part number I believe it is new and not a refurb, but I’m not certain about that.

My range is now 272 and I get 1600amps and produce 504kw.

Reactions: camthehombre
I ended up with a V3 90kw. They first replaced it with a non-ludicrous 85kw. After noticing I wasn’t getting the full 1500 amps they acknowledged the problem and fixed it. After a week or two they said they couldn’t source an 85kw ludicrous battery and they ended up replacing it with a 90kw battery. It is a V3 and from the part number I believe it is new and not a refurb, but I’m not certain about that.

My range is now 272 and I get 1600amps and produce 504kw.

thanks- i just had a regular 85.. so they should be able to locate a refreshed 85 i think
ETA for battery pack to arrive was Nov 6, but i sent a text to service manager today to see if battery pack was still on track to arrive .....no reply!

he told me last week that I have 24 hours to return the loaner or else i am charged $200/day. - he said car would probably be ready on 6th or 7th.

2 hour drive each way, so i kinda need a heads up to plan.

ohhhhh Tesla.. . you are getting busier every day. you need to slow down ✔

Has anyone ever attempted to trade in their car with a dead battery, rather than wait for a replacement? Mine is is, possibly, getting close so I'm thinking about this as a possible route. It would seem there could be an advantage to Tesla, they wouldn't have to hurry to repair it, they could sell the old one for parts, whatever they wanted.