Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replacing inexpensive, available sensors that just work and require relatively little programming logic with no ultrasonic sensors and tons of additional software complexity to use vision —that’s absolutely the wrong move. Not to mention the blind spots not covered by the cameras. Cheaper cars and even Tesla cars sold more than 5 years ago have USS! If that's not enough, as of January 2023, Tesla would be adding radar back. ?!? Taking delivery of a new Tesla model 3/Y in December 2022 with no sensors would be a very bad move. I am almost certain I will have to cancel my order. Very very disappointing. Paying through the nose for a Tesla, I just cannot overlook this. And I do not believe them that a similar or better solution will come any time soon, there will be no parity to USS. What a horrible move by Tesla.

Replacing inexpensive, available sensors that just work and require relatively little programming logic with no ultrasonic sensors and tons of additional software complexity to use vision —that’s absolutely the wrong move. Not to mention the blind spots not covered by the cameras. Cheaper cars and even Tesla cars sold more than 5 years ago have USS! If that's not enough, as of January 2023, Tesla would be adding radar back. ?!? Taking delivery of a new Tesla model 3/Y in December 2022 with no sensors would be a very bad move. I am almost certain I will have to cancel my order. Very very disappointing. Paying through the nose for a Tesla, I just cannot overlook this. And I do not believe them that a similar or better solution will come any time soon, there will be no parity to USS. What a horrible move by Tesla.
Allegedly the total costs of USS was less than $200 per vehicle.

I’m positive most customers would have accepted those as a $200 additional “option” vs the lie about how much better vision only would do same job.

Vision only is doing auto wipers and high beam flashing. Look how great those are working out

I don't want to get involved in this debate, except to correct a few statements I've seen. Ultrasonic sensors on Tesla cars are used for parking assistance only. They are not used for AP/FSD decision making. They are not used in safety systems, such as AEB. They are not used in security systems, such as Sentry Mode.

Stop trying to shore up your viewpoint in this debate and sway opinions in your favor with false statements.
In order for a car to be FSD it has to be able to park

In order for a car to be FSD it has to be able to park
Agreed, but that comment was regarding the incorrect statements that USS was involved in important/critical/serious safety/security systems. They aren't. I don't want newcomers to be unduly frightened that their car is now less safe/secure because of the lack of USS. It isn't.

Sorry to see you go so soon.

Just imagine how people who bought the car with radars feel when those radars were disabled.

I felt like it was a pleasure to drive under an underpass without experiencing phantom braking.
I have much more erratic behavior after the radar was disabled, especially in heavy traffic or inclement conditions. Otherwise, phantom braking still happens but in different circumstances. Overall, it is net negative.

The radar being disabled (as opposed to not installed which is different) didn’t remove any function as it happened once TV was deemed capable. It’s a different argument again as to whether the performance is better or worse, but that’s an argument after every update.

USS aren’t being disabled on cars with them, therefore no issue for those people at the moment. If TV replaces the function and Tesla decide to turn them off in the future and you subsequently have a bump as a result, you have a possible argument. Time to get lots of footage of them working to establish what you have now, just in case.

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng
The radar being disabled (as opposed to not installed which is different) didn’t remove any function as it happened once TV was deemed capable. It’s a different argument again as to whether the performance is better or worse, but that’s an argument after every update.

USS aren’t being disabled on cars with them, therefore no issue for those people at the moment. If TV replaces the function and Tesla decide to turn them off in the future and you subsequently have a bump as a result, you have a possible argument. Time to get lots of footage of them working to establish what you have now, just in case.
Max AP speed still isn't at feature parity.

The auto high beam doesn't work. Auto wipers doesn't work.
Nothing like activating autopilot on a well-lit freeway , and the high beams flashes on, disturbing other drivers, while the wipers rub across the spotless windshield causing horrible noise and potential scratching.
I have to quickly disable the high beams and start squirting washer fluid . It seems like it stops during wery well lit tunnels etc, but starts wiping as fast as the light is a bit dimmer. Maybe it tries to punish me for disabling high beams?

The auto high beam doesn't work. Auto wipers doesn't work.
Nothing like activating autopilot on a well-lit freeway , and the high beams flashes on, disturbing other drivers, while the wipers rub across the spotless windshield causing horrible noise and potential scratching.
I have to quickly disable the high beams and start squirting washer fluid . It seems like it stops during wery well lit tunnels etc, but starts wiping as fast as the light is a bit dimmer. Maybe it tries to punish me for disabling high beams?
Imagine how badly the same Vision will be at estimating parking distances

Reactions: emmz0r and Boza
Imagine how badly the same Vision will be at estimating parking distances

I think it will be a lot of "camera visibility reduced, parking distance estimation disabled".
The backing camera can't be trusted, it's almost always occluded with dirt, especially in winter, so you're left with the repeater cameras.
Also parking front first would be a challenge.

The sentiments about how Tesla removing features before the replacement functionality is available is crappy customer service, questions about whether it's legal to do this to orders-in-progress and observations about how inconvenient the semi-dodgy wipers/lights etc are to an owner right now, today, are all valid (if MASSIVELY overblown on this whine-fest thread).

Stripping it back to the 'why don't Tesla care?' question, though, I'd say sit down and watch the FSD part of the AI day presentation (Starts 0:58:00. If you understand everything they're talking about you're doing far better than me, but there's a thread of layman-friendly discussion throughout.). Now, imagine you're speaking to that team working on solving the problems that they're working on and imagine telling them they have their priorities all wrong and you need your wipers sorted, ASAP.

Or imagine that you're in charge of Telsa's operations and you have the following options (assuming that the underlying problem is that USS are in short supply across the industry and can't be obtained):
1) Suspend delivery of all vehicles until you can deliver them as specc'd
2) Deliver cars without and prepare for an expensive retrofit program, using your very low capacity service network (vs ICE vehicles that all visit service centres routinely)
3) Recognise that you were dropping this hardware anyway, so drop it a bit early.
(Note that 2 and 3 are the same result to the customer. You can't have USS if they're physically not available, so you'd have had to have had a car without them in a retrofit scenario.)

You'd be insane not to take option 3, with the offer for anyone who doesn't like it to cancel or defer, which is exactly what they did.

PS. Based on what's in that presentation I'd say the TV based parking system does have every chance of being massively superior to USS. I look forward (with moderate confidence) to having a car that doesn't panic at the sight of light foliage and puddles. Whether I'll get it any time soon is another matter.