Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'd think that the amount of splash on a windshield is pretty uniform, but just a few days ago, we were having light wet snow here, and for whatever reason, the mess was accumulating on the bottom half of the windshield, while the top was pretty clean. Had to press the stalk button to clear my view.
so you would think, that in such case, Tesla being "technology company" and not a car manufacturer, betting quite strongly on tesla vision and other AI "magic", would be able to determine that if driver is pressing wiper stalk few times while auto wiper is knitting yet another scarf, then maybe, just maybe, means that wiper operation is inadequate and maybe, just in this case, the wipers should be enabled?

who knows, maybe that would be a bit better priority that the fart noise and santa sleigh on the screen or crappy games

so you would think, that in such case, Tesla being "technology company" and not a car manufacturer, betting quite strongly on tesla vision and other AI "magic", would be able to determine that if driver is pressing wiper stalk few times while auto wiper is knitting yet another scarf, then maybe, just maybe, means that wiper operation is inadequate and maybe, just in this case, the wipers should be enabled?

who knows, maybe that would be a bit better priority that the fart noise and santa sleigh on the screen or crappy games

Funny you mentioned that. When auto wipers was first released, that's exactly what Tesla said: that it would use driver interventions of the wipers to improve the AI. Not really sure if they ever followed through and for how long. But there's a big flaw with this approach: if the wipers go on when it shouldn't, there's no way for the driver to provide an interventional feedback to tell it not to wipe.

sorry, OT. carry on.

If only there was a way to see some sort of high detail without vision...
1673993622784.png

• Informative
Reactions: Baumisch
Funny you mentioned that. When auto wipers was first released, that's exactly what Tesla said: that it would use driver interventions of the wipers to improve the AI. Not really sure if they ever followed through and for how long. But there's a big flaw with this approach: if the wipers go on when it shouldn't, there's no way for the driver to provide an interventional feedback to tell it not to wipe.

sorry, OT. carry on.
That may be why they didn't do it. I would much rather it not wipe than to wipe unnecessarily. If it doesn't wipe it's a simple matter of pressing the button to do a manual wipe. If it keeps wiping when it's not necessary, I see no simple way of stopping that.

The really simple way to address wiper preferences is just to add a sensitivity or bias setting. Plenty of cars have this.

I haven't had the time to browse through the 75 pages of this thread. Can someone who has been following summarize: Has the vision based replacement been released yet for the Model Y, given they've been shipping cars without ultrasonic sensors for one quarter already? Or is this just another brain fart of Elons which will take years to replace the functionality, like removing rain sensor and promising camera based one "in the near future"? Or is this like the FSD fiasco, meaning "near future" is in Elon time, so could mean some time after we colonize Mars? Asking as I just helped a relative purchase one, and they are asking me if I just helped them order a car which doesn't even come with parking sensor functionality.

I haven't had the time to browse through the 75 pages of this thread. Can someone who has been following summarize: Has the vision based replacement been released yet for the Model Y, given they've been shipping cars without ultrasonic sensors for one quarter already? Or is this just another brain fart of Elons which will take years to replace the functionality, like removing rain sensor and promising camera based one "in the near future"? Or is this like the FSD fiasco, meaning "near future" is in Elon time, so could mean some time after we colonize Mars? Asking as I just helped a relative purchase one, and they are asking me if I just helped them ordered a car without basic parking sensor functionality.
Another brain fart, fsd fiasco, and yes, you helped relatives to buy a car without basic functionality for a premium price

Reactions: CWT3LR and Mike7564

sorry, OT. carry on.
Perhaps that is what the interior camera is for - detect pissed off drivers when wipers go on when they should not. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
That would be a hovercraft. Elon did not event that, he's not releasing that.

He has no problem pedaling things he didn't invent - he'll just give it a wacky new name to make people think he did. Hyper-hover-car sounds OK.

No steering wheel - no problem! We are already ready! Until FSD works we just need to use our connected phones with their inbuilt accelerometers to drive like we're playing Nintendo Wii. Kids and fanboys will love it.

Reactions: Mike7564
You should read the 75 pages. Given your question, it will feel like an AA group session … :)
Not worth my time. Stopped buying Teslas in 2018 so it doesn't affect either of my current two (both have ultrasonic sensors). As it stands now, I have no plans to buy more, for one I cannot live with stalkless steering, but also would want parking sensors and learned over the years that if it's not available on delivery day, good chance it will never be available for that car - you might get an excuse from Tesla, like "it was only a forward looking aspiration goal" not "a promise of any specific functionality".

Reactions: kavyboy and CWT3LR