Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is pretty much how other manufacturers dealt with the USS shortage.
Yep, I've seen the "chip shortage package" which would show up on the build sheets of cars with a negative price. Not gonna happen with Tesla though. Tesla will string people along and then call it "a future aspirational goal" and never deliver, like they did with FSD.

Tesla will deliver something. My main question is if it will be any good...

If it's buggy unreliable software with 100 caveats than I might as well not have it.

They have proven occupancy. Question is how reliable they can get it to be. Time will tell.

If occupancy means being occupied with other stuff than actually making production ready autopilot work - yeah they have achieved occupancy. :)

Hi all, just wanted to post an update. I asked my local Tesla dealership (Belgium) when the Tesla Vision update for no-USS cars is to be expected.
Their reply (deepl translation):

"Unfortunately, we have no idea when to expect this update.
We hope together with our customers that this will happen soon but cannot make any promises in this regard."

So Tesla representatives/employees outside the AI Team generally have no clue and probably know less than we do.
I'm cross-posting this in the three main "no-USS threads".

Same applies for Norway - sales reps have no clue and (by what they say themselves) get no info either from the "higher" ups. And when media asks the execs - no info is given. That is the equivalent of no fecks given on customers. Their continued work on non-essential car features like farting and removal of essential features as USS without credible replacement in place just goes to show they care more about the bottom line than anything else. We are free to sell our cars any day and inform others of our experiences 👍

Tesla will deliver something. My main question is if it will be any good...

If it's buggy unreliable software with 100 caveats than I might as well not have it.

They have proven occupancy. Question is how reliable they can get it to be. Time will tell.
The main question is when actually - their out may be that 10 years from now they are still working on it. Once delivered however, if it doesn't work well, it could become a safety recall and Tesla would be forced to retrofit USS to all cars. Perhaps they forgot this is a feature with safety implications, so it's not as easy to just deliver crappy functionality and call it a day.

In this case I thought "what does General Assembly have to do with anything?"

When looking at Google, you get:
AcronymDefinition
GAGeorgia (US postal abbreviation)
GAGarage (real estate)
GAGo Ahead (used in chat)
GAGoals Against (sports scoring)
GAGeneral Assembly
GAGo Ahead
GAGo Away
GAGeneral Assistance
GAGeneral Accounting
GAGauge
GAGeneral Aviation
GAGeneral Admission
GAGo Around
GAGambia
GAGenetic Algorithm
GAGeneral Availability
GAGovernment Agency
GAGage
GAGabon (Internet country code)
GAGermantown Academy
GAGreat Adventure (theme park)
GAGenerally Available
GAGrey's Anatomy (TV show)
GAGreen Arrow (comics character)
GAGuardian Angel
GAGeoscience Australia
GAGary Allan (country music artist)
GAGirls Aloud (band)
GAGirls in Action (Southern Baptist Convention organization for young girls)
GAGamblers Anonymous
GAGoogle Analytics
GAGreen Acres (Visalia, CA middle school)
GAGraphics Adapter
GAGalaxy Angel (anime series)
GAGiorgio Armani (clothing brand)
GAGood Afternoon
GAGeneral Agent
GAGreat America (theme park)
GATabun (nerve agent)
GAGood Article (Wikimedia Foundation)
GAGlobal Assessment
GAGraduate Assistant
GAGeographical Association (UK)
GAGovernment Affairs
GAGallium
GAGeneral Agreement
GAGeneral Anesthesia
GAGillian Anderson
GAGlynn Academy (Brunswick, GA)
GAGestational Age
GAGeneral Authority (LDS Church)
GAGinger Ale
GAGrant Aid
GAGeneral Atomics
GAGrant Agency
GAGo Abroad (travel website)
GAGay Asian
GAGraduate Assistantship
GAGlutaraldehyde
GAGilbert Arenas (basketball player)
GAGrand Admiral
GAGame Arena (Australian gaming website)
GAGate Array
GAGlobal Address (computing)
GAGerman Army
GAGeneral Assignment (news reporting)
GAGeneral Average
GAGolf Australia (publication)
GAGas Analysis
GAGypsum Association (Evanston, Illinois)
GAGraduate Advisor (live-in advisors to undergraduates)
GAGraphics Array
GAGibberellic Acid (plant hormone)
GAGaming-Age (gaming website)
GAGeneral of The Army
GAGround Attack
GAGuano Apes (band)
GAGeneral Awareness
GAGalactic Alliance (Star Wars)
GAGlendale Arena (Arizona)
GAGund Arena (Cleveland)
GAGeneral Accident (British Insurance Company)
GAGreen Alliance (London, UK)
GAGeneral Arrangement (layout drawing as opposed to detail)
GAGrand Alliance (advanced television)
GAGranuloma Annulare (dermatology)
GAGeographic Atrophy (eye condition)
GAGuarantee Agency
GAGeneral Answer
GAGeneral Alarm
GAGeneral Auditor
GAGyro Assembly
GAGreening Australia (Australia)
GAGravity Assist (spacecraft trajectories)
GAGeneral Adjuster (insurance)
GAGlobal Atlas
GAGeologic Age
GAGlide Angle
GAGalvanizers Association (UK)
GAGeneral Alert
GAGround Antenna
GAGovernment Aided
GAGlobus Alliance (HP, IBM, et al)
GAGastric Analysis
GAGiga Annum (Latin: Billion Years)
GAGuichet Automatique
GAGeographical Address
GAGeneral Auxiliary
GAGraphicAudio
GAGhana Army
GAGovernment Allotment
GAGridiron Australia
GAGreen Armour (Quake)
GAGun-Assembled
GAGraphic Annunciator (fire alarm)
GAGraphics & Administration
GAGaleria E Arteve (National Art Gallery)
GAGrace Adventures (Michigan)
GAGoblinARMY (gaming)
GAGuest Advisor
GAGeekarea (website)
GAGenetic Anomalies, Inc.
GAGuy of Auvergne (DeMolay)
GAGaruda Indonesia Airline - Indonesia (IATA airline code)

When posting unclear acronyms, you can be asked about it.

Reactions: kavyboy and ohmman
We were discussing occupancy, which is a software term, hence “GA”. I should have spelled it…
I don't think Tesla subscribes to the Beta to GA software model. All their software is perma-Beta, the "continuous integration" model, also known as "keep testing small incremental changes it on your customers".

It has been a source of frustration to me that the cloak of 'perpetual beta' status makes it all but impossible to hold Tesla accountable. Sooner or later I hope this will get tested and resolved. It totally smacks of Snake Oil.

OTA updates, used judiciously, should be a valuable tool to deliver real value to customers and manufacturers alike. The way things are going with Tesla and if OTA updating is abused, I can see (eventually) regulators seeking to insert external controls in order that OTA updating does not circumvent normal commercial practice and regulation.

The idea that a solution to any issue is imminent (may be) yet reality known only to Tesla negates or at least confounds most common consumer protection.

It has been a source of frustration to me that the cloak of 'perpetual beta' status makes it all but impossible to hold Tesla accountable. Sooner or later I hope this will get tested and resolved. It totally smacks of Snake Oil.
I look at that a bit differently than you do. If FSD never escapes its beta status, then the product is not finished. You're correct that this delay could go on forever, but at some point a court is going to hear an argument and decide either for or against Tesla.

clear that most people on this thread are here to wallow in their self-righteous rage

I agree that it feels like that. But given that a growing list of several outstanding issues keep failing to get real resolution, what else can owners do?

Take b-pillar cam windows. They have been problematic since day 1 given specific (common enough) climatic conditions. I had SC look multiple times at 'fixing' the problem, but eventually gave up and opted to wait a while then, in the absence of a solution, formally require them to fix it. The move towards further reliance on camera vision makes this even more important, just to allow my car's spec to not go backwards.

at some point a court is going to hear an argument and decide either for or against Tesla.

That was really my point too. But think of how many owners may be deemed retrospectively to have been shafted when they no longer own the compromised car. My Ms Raven is a great car (not just EV) comfort-wise for long trips. But as it nears the end of end-to-end warranty I feel genuinely unsure if I should keep it or not. If Tesla honour their obligations to make stuff work as it should reasonably be expected to, I'd keep it. It is the uncertainty - especially regarding having a lagacy vehicle potentially forced into a vision only spec that it was not originally designed with. On top of that, Tesla could well leave me high and dry with an unsupported hybrid that can't ever deliver acceptable FSD performance.

Remember Tesla's approach to a failed board in 85 batteries. They came up with a software 'fix' that once installed took thousands of miles of driving to take effect.... that is if it even was going to provide a solution of sorts. Either way it kicked the warranty can down the road and may be saved Tesla a few battery replacements. In any case, an effected battery would be left with a failed internal part, but regarded as fixed (or at least potentially fixed) by Tesla.

@Mullermn, what's your suggestion? Just put it all down to experience? We all knew what we were buying? If that's the case, you might as well ditch most consumer protection law on the basis that everything is just part of life long learning!

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer, but if such a class action suit succeeds, should it not matter if one no longer owns the vehicle?

Morally, it shouldn't make any difference. In the US I get class settlement letters every now and then as I'm sure many do. 'If you owned xxx' or 'If you used yyy service' between certain dates you may be entitled to compensation.

In the UK at least this is in my experience far far less common. We have had some high profile and very common cases for financial insurance products and miss-selling that consumers have been able to claim compensation for. But for products like cars no longer owned.... especially if financed / leased..... I don't think compensation is likely. Even if you still own the goods, class actions are not common. In the US I gather its usually the lawyers who do best from them.