Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(and I doubt anyone will want to spend their own money on it out of pocket to start one for something that seems relatively minor, and is worth as most a few hundred dollars).
How do you determine that it's worth at most a few hundred dollars if you have no way to add that functionality at all? You can add some aftermarket solution, but it's not the same, it won't be integrated with the rest of the car.
Also if you damage your car because of the lack of sensors (like I did), your losses are much higher than that.

How do you determine that it's worth at most a few hundred dollars if you have no way to add that functionality at all? You can add some aftermarket solution, but it's not the same, it won't be integrated with the rest of the car.
Also if you damage your car because of the lack of sensors (like I did), your losses are much higher than that.
Parking assist options cost at most a few hundred. Trying to come up with some completely contrived situation where the automaker might be liable for other damages beyond that isn't likely to fly (at least I have never seen it successful in other lawsuits).

Parking assist options cost at most a few hundred. Trying to come up with some completely contrived situation where the automaker might be liable for other damages beyond that isn't likely to fly (at least I have never seen it successful in other lawsuits).
IIRC $115 saved by removing the Model 3/Y USS. given a million cars Tesla plans to make this year, that's 115 million dollars just this year alone (which they can invest in software I guess), hence they are sticking with it. $100M per year can buy a few good engineers.

IIRC $115 saved by removing the Model 3/Y USS. given a million cars Tesla plans to make this year, that's 115 million dollars just this year alone (which they can invest in software I guess), hence they are sticking with it. $100M per year can buy a few good engineers.
They could have achieved the same by just increasing the price with $115, instead of removing a feature without lowering the price.

They could have achieved the same by just increasing the price with $115, instead of removing a feature without lowering the price.
Not if there weren't enough sensors/chips available as they continue to increase production. Sure, they could have made it a ~$500 option and then enough people would probably passed on it to deal with the supply issues, and the cost would be enough to cover having to deal with the extra number of configurations. But it seems they really thought they would have the vision solution deployed by now.

Not if there weren't enough sensors/chips available as they continue to increase production. Sure, they could have made it a ~$500 option and then enough people would probably passed on it to deal with the supply issues, and the cost would be enough to cover having to deal with the extra number of configurations. But it seems they really thought they would have the vision solution deployed by now.
Agreed. Considering that, instead they should have lowered the price by $115 at the same time the sensors were removed, as really it was just a money grab to deliver less for the same price, without having a functional alternative (which still doesn't exist months later, and with the current camera positions will never work as good as the sensors).

Agreed. Considering that, instead they should have lowered the price by $115 at the same time the sensors were removed, as really it was just a money grab to deliver less for the same price, without having a functional alternative (which still doesn't exist months later, and with the current camera positions will never work as good as the sensors).
Lowering the price wouldn't have really changed anything and is counter to the fact the car was in hot demand. For people that the USS really mattered, they wouldn't have bought the car even with that $115 discount. For those that it didn't, they bought the car anyways.

Last edited:
You’re confusing cost and value
I'm talking about retail price/value to consumer, not the cost to Tesla (which as others pointed out is estimated to be even less, only around $115). Ford had a $325 credit for removing the park assist in the MachE. BMW has it in a $800 parking package (that includes surround view cameras). It's just not something that has anywhere near the value as other features.

Reactions: preilly44
Not exactly, they just sent an email with the same wording as in Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support Other Europe. They didn't mention free cancellation or delaying the delivery. Also note that it was "For a short period of time" and "In the near future". What exactly is a short period of time? 1 month, 2 months? The vehicle was delivered in November.
The specific wording in the pre delivery notice was

“We are continuing the transition to Tesla Vision, our camera-based Autopilot system. As part of this transition, some features may be limited at delivery, and will be rolled out in the weeks ahead via over-the-air updates”.​

Did not identify the missing features. Now 16 weeks since Delivery and no indication of when it will be updated with vision.

In a million weeks after delivery still qualifies as "in the weeks ahead". You must be new to Tesla if you don't know that they are VERY SLEAZY in their literal interpretations of what they say. When they say "motor horsepower", they actually mean "that motor, in some different car, connected to a better battery and a better cooling system, would be able to reach this horsepower for some short amount of time". They also use tricks like redefining that things mean after the fact, for example how they neutered Full Self Driving - it used to include Level 5, the car will drive itself for the Tesla Ride Sharing Network and make you money, now it comprises of mostly of features that used to be a part of Enhanced Auto Pilot. They wiped the old description from their site completely, as they did blind spot monitoring sold when AP1 came out (no AP1 car has anything that would qualify as BSM, the parking sensors are unreliable while driving therefore do not qualify). When some people who bought their Full Self Driving in 2016 went to court to sue. as they didn't get the autonomous driving car they were sold 6 or 7 years later, Tesla lawyers called FSD "a failed future aspirational goal, rather than a commitment to deliver anything".

Welcome to Tesla! Whatever they say, interpret it as literal and minimalistic (in terms of Tesla obligations to deliver), then take it a step further and think how they deliver even less and get away with it, simply because it won't be worth for people to take it to court.

5 years from now, people will go to court over the missing USS features, Tesla will claim another "failed future aspirational goal".

Well here it is and it's definitely not a replacement for the sensors. I'm going to bet that people are going to run into a lot more objects that are obscured by the nose as the car approaches. We did a few cursory tests and as soon as objects disappeared below the nose it's guesses to distance were way off. I tapped a plastic container that was not in the camera view and the car thought I had 20" left. Not impressed at all. The side lines seem to be accurate and I haven't tested the rear yet but I'm guessing based on placement it's probably way more accurate than the front.
20230323_225444.jpg