Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course. My point is that they’re going to have to keep the code for using USS for manual parking so they’ll probably keep it for HW3 vehicles as well.
I'm not sure you can reach that conclusion given people on HW2.5 or older kept the radar code, while HW3 had it removed (due to switching to Vision). This is pretty clear when people had their hardware upgraded.

I'm not sure you can reach that conclusion given people on HW2.5 or older kept the radar code, while HW3 had it removed (due to switching to Vision). This is pretty clear when people had their hardware upgraded.
I thought only people using FSD beta got radar disabled. That way they don’t have to mess around with supporting both configurations. But yeah when they go to single stack I’m sure everyone with HW3 will be vision only. Presumably that will happen when the vision only is actually better than radar+vision.
Just seems unlikely they’ll disable USS on cars that have it. People are going to be super annoyed if their regular parking space suddenly becomes an “edge case” and they scratch their bumper.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I thought only people using FSD beta got radar disabled. That way they don’t have to mess around with supporting both configurations. But yeah when they go to single stack I’m sure everyone with HW3 will be vision only. Presumably that will happen when the vision only is actually better than radar+vision.
Just seems unlikely they’ll disable USS on cars that have it. People are going to be super annoyed if their regular parking space suddenly becomes an “edge case” and they scratch their bumper.

The radar was disabled on my 2021 Model S a few updates ago. I am not in the FSDb group.

The reason I ask is because on my BMW I had my windshield replaced and faced similar issues. Turns out the rain sensor is very picky about the refractive quality of the windshield. The next windshield worked perfectly.

So I am thinking that it might be a similar issue. Maybe there is some sort of wax layer or something that is causing the camera to sense rain where none exists? Try cleaning that part of the windshield with Windex or Invisible Glass with a paper towel.
Before Tesla I had an Audi with rain sensors. Replaced the windshield 3 times (lots of trucks on my commute at the time) and every time I made sure they install the one designed for the sensor. So, yes, there is a difference.
As for the Tesla, I tried Windex, Ammonia, Alcohol, even RainX; paper towel, microfiber, regular towel. It is not the windshield. It is the way they use a camera instead of dedicated rain sensor. That is what scares me about Tesla Vision.

Before Tesla I had an Audi with rain sensors. Replaced the windshield 3 times (lots of trucks on my commute at the time) and every time I made sure they install the one designed for the sensor. So, yes, there is a difference.
As for the Tesla, I tried Windex, Ammonia, Alcohol, even RainX; paper towel, microfiber, regular towel. It is not the windshield. It is the way they use a camera instead of dedicated rain sensor. That is what scares me about Tesla Vision.
Well a lot of people don't have problems with dry wipes, but they seem to mostly have Model 3s. Could also be something inside the glass or on the lens. The angle of the sun where you live also may play a part (this also affects AP performance). And in general, preferences for wipe frequency vary widely, so some of it might simply be the sensitivity Tesla adjusted (which is not adjustable, while supposedly it was in other brands).

• Disagree
Reactions: momo3605
Reactions: jiehan
So it is a rainy day today and I made 4 trips in the rain for a total of 160 miles. Wipers worked so perfectly that I did not even realize that they were working. Speed was so perfect depending upon the rain amount. Unbelievable.

Well, one of the main challenges in production at scale is consistency (have you heard of Six Sigma?). If it is working perfectly for some and not working for the others then it is not working at scale.
Yes, it could be the sun angle, level of PM2.5 particles in the rain drops, time of day, moon phase, etc. Somehow, my previous cars with dedicated rain sensors did not have those issues.

Well, one of the main challenges in production at scale is consistency (have you heard of Six Sigma?). If it is working perfectly for some and not working for the others then it is not working at scale.
Yes, it could be the sun angle, level of PM2.5 particles in the rain drops, time of day, moon phase, etc. Somehow, my previous cars with dedicated rain sensors did not have those issues.
It's quite trivial to find examples in a few seconds of google of it also not working consistently for others in other brands, including instances of dry wipes (even though they presumably use traditional rain sensors):
Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers - AudiWorld Forums
Rain sensing wipers are worthless

Rain sensing wipers is just something that varies based on opinion, not everyone likes how the manufacturer has configured their particular one.

People keep talking about radar…but again, no one ever used* the radar, so don’t see it as analogous or relevant to this discussion.

* note “use” here is tightly defined, defined to be used like USS.

All HW3 vehicles are running on Tesla Vision now
Yep, I guess 85mph is the new 90mph.

Last edited:
People keep talking about radar…but again, no one ever used the radar, so don’t see it as analogous or relevant to this discussion.
The person I was responding to was confused and thought the disabling of radar only applied to FSD Beta cars and was using that as an example of why disabling of USS will not happen with HW3, I and many others are just clarifying that is not the case (instead all HW3 cars that are updated has radar disabled), so that example can't be used to say that.

You are making a different point about USS being more independent than radar, but that was not the point being discussed in that thread.

The person I was responding to was confused and thought the disabling of radar only applied to FSD Beta cars and was using that as an example of why disabling of USS will not happen with HW3, I and many others are just clarifying that is not the case (instead all HW3 cars that are updated has radar disabled), so that example can't be used to say that. Ppl

You are making a different point about USS being more independent than radar, but that was not the point being discussed in that thread.
Not really. I was responding to the discussion prior to that introduction, just took your post as the latest in that discussion (at the time I drafted the post). As far as I can tell, you brought up the radar as some sort of argument for why USS would also be removed. And then the discussion got kind of lost (but again, in my opinion what happened with radar is sort of irrelevant, since no one used radar - if no one is using it, it’s easy to remove it!).

It's quite trivial to find examples in a few seconds of google of it also not working consistently for others in other brands, including instances of dry wipes (even though they presumably use traditional rain sensors):
Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers - AudiWorld Forums
Rain sensing wipers are worthless

Rain sensing wipers is just something that varies based on opinion, not everyone likes how the manufacturer has configured their particular one.
I think giving us an option to adjust sensitivity would go a long way in solving the issue. Instead, they gave us Sonic the Hedgehog and disabled the radar. Go figure!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Not really. I was responding to the discussion prior to that introduction, just took your post as the latest in that discussion (at the time I drafted the post). As far as I can tell, you brought up the radar as some sort of argument for why USS would also be removed. And then the discussion got kind of lost (but again, in my opinion what happened with radar is sort of irrelevant, since no one used radar - if no one is using it, it’s easy to remove it!).
The chain of the comments before mine, he was implying that HW1 and HW2 cars can't switch to Vision (forcing Tesla to keep older non-Vision code) and thus existing HW3 won't switch either (and that this example would apply to USS). The later clarifications proved that exactly was what he was implying (because he thought Vision only applied to FSD Beta cars).

I'm laying out radar specifically because the disabling of that is the clearest sign of switching to Vision (even on highway), you can ignore the radar part if you want, but the point still remains that Tesla switched existing HW3 cars over to Vision even though HW1/2 cars can't support it (and there are compromises like the lower top speed in AP). That is not a barrier to switching off USS. Basically if Tesla feels they want to simplify their code base, they may eventually disable USS too once they figure out a Occupancy Network version (which they have to for the cars that don't have USS), even though they presumably can keep both running at the same time.

Last edited:
Yeah this is the part I really don’t understand.

It’s just code, with no branches.

(I mean, I probably oversimplify a bit, but no worse than their normal code maintenance.)

But again, obviously different than radar.
They had to maintain two sets previously: HW3 with radar vs HW3 without radar (AKA Vision). They decided to just move all HW3 to Vision instead of maintaining the split, even though they didn't reach single stack yet (for highway vs city). I can see them wanting to do the same with USS, basically once the ON version is good enough, they may move all HW3 to the same code and just drop USS completely from all HW3. Presumably it'll be for similar reasons, their engineers will have an easier time going forward, especially if they have UI design changes in the future.

Last edited: