Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to believe that with the massive amount of user data tesla possesses, they have examined vast numbers of scenarios with the sensors and without and never would have made the change if they didn’t see the vision-only system would work as well. I have to assume the same about the decision to remove the radar. They don’t have to try it and see how the car responds, they have all the data necessary to simulate old/new.

When the clock turns from yellow to black the software will install itself, without intervention from you. It may take months (even years) but it will eventually happen.
The clock being black only means it is scheduled (you or someone in your family probably accidentally pressed the button to schedule it instead of closing the window, or someone else did that on the app), you can always cancel the schedule by opening the dialog box, not entering a time and closing it again (which turns it back to yellow). The car would keep nagging you to schedule again every time you start the car, but you can always close that box.
Not having the firmware does not necessarily void the warranty (in some cases it may do that). However, the first thing they will ask you to do if you have a warranty claim is to upgrade. Also, as part of the warranty service they will make sure you are at the latest release. Check the purchase agreement language.
People already did, there is no such language in the US purchase agreement. I checked mine, and it's the same thing, the only language on updates is below, there is nothing about voiding the warranty for not installing updates:
Obsolete Hardware and Future Firmware Updates. The Vehicle will regularly receive over-the-air software updates that add new features and enhance existing ones over Wi-Fi. Future software updates may not be provided for your Vehicle, or may not include all existing or new features or functionality, due to your Vehicle’s age, configuration, data storage capacity or parts, after the expiration of your Warranty. We are not liable for any parts or labor or any other cost needed to update or retrofit the Vehicle so that it may receive these updates, or any Vehicle issues occurring after the installation of any software updates due to obsolete, malfunctioning (except as covered by your Warranty) or damaged hardware.
It can't be there because it's not legal in the USA to void the warranty on the car due to an update not being installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I have to believe that with the massive amount of user data tesla possesses, they have examined vast numbers of scenarios with the sensors and without and never would have made the change if they didn’t see the vision-only system would work as well. I have to assume the same about the decision to remove the radar. They don’t have to try it and see how the car responds, they have all the data necessary to simulate old/new.

Except the non-radar cars do NOT work "as well" in that you can't set the speed as high, or the follow distance as close.

Even though it's been almost a year and a half since the switch and they claimed at the time features would eventually be equal- still not.

It's entirely possible the vision system is better in OTHER ways- but not, at least, those two.

Further, if your "as well" were true for the ultrasonic removal they wouldn't be announcing some features will be initially disabled on cars without those sensors, would they?

Interesting. In the first link you provided there is from @jjrandorin a snip from the voided warranty section of the warranty at the time (earlier this year) pertaining to not downloading software updates voiding. That verbiage is not in my warranty as it stands this morning.
1667050350327.png

I'll keep looking at those links!

It would be slick if simulations were the end all but Karpathy admitted current simulations were no substitute for endless streams of real road data. That might also suggest road data has an expiration date.

Why has it taken 6 years to get auto wipers working, auto highbeams are dangerous and the matrix remains inactive after 2 years...

Yes, like they did with passenger side lumbar. Had NOTHING to do with supply chain issues…

Reactions: Zilla91
auto wipers
It's designed for the AP camera visibility, not driver's. Similar to a passenger asking driver for a cycle.

auto highbeams are dangerous
I thought the issue was that they went to low beam too often?

matrix remains inactive after 2 years
Looks like you're across the pond, but in the US, Federal law was only updated to allow them 8 months ago Adaptive LED Headlights Finally Get NHTSA Approval In The US:
Expect more attention to this feature now, though it is coupled to your highbeam complaint (more complicated version).

It's designed for the AP camera visibility, not driver's. Similar to a passenger asking driver for a cycle.

Looks like you're across the pond, but in the US, Federal law was only updated to allow them 8 months ago Adaptive LED Headlights Finally Get NHTSA Approval In The US:
Expect more attention to this feature now, though it is coupled to your highbeam complaint (more complicated version).
Yes, the advice I give anyone who asks if they ought to buy a Tesla is " ot in the UK." There are so many deficiencies for UK or other countries that drive on the correct side of the road that it is not a car I can recommend.

Reactions: goRt

That works of autopilot is fully developed before deployment, musky does things back to front
High beams come on too soon, stay on too long, don't come onz in fact aren't fit for purpose.
As a UK resident I bought a UK spec car, musky needs to come forward with a development schedule and resource and stop distracting with robots, brain attachments and social media purchases

Reactions: Boza and MrBadger
My auto wipers wipe too early in some light/rain mist
I would say much the opposite. Well, especially if the mist is coming from other vehicles spinning it up off wet pavement. The density of droplets on the windshield is higher at the bottom and less at the top. The cameras are looking out the top. I'm looking out the middle. My vision is more impaired by the mist than the camera's is. So it doesn't see enough to begin wiping, and I hit the button.

I have given up trying to find a pattern for the auto wipers. Sometimes they swipe on a perfect sunny day. Other times they go nuts with a couple of drops on the windshield. There are cases that they work relatively well. It is totally random.
In any case, it is so annoying that forced me to stop using AP. Thank you for the “upgrade”!

Reactions: dramsey
The problem with this reasonable-sounding assertion is that Tesla has previously replaced sensors with vision and it doesn’t work as well. I’m talking about the rain sensing wipers, which aren’t anywhere near as good, especially at night, as the previous system that used a standard rain sensor.

Hi,
We just received our 2023 M3P in Abu Dhabi.
It is a Shanghai built car with a 2023 VIN number - the door plate shows it was made 09/22.
It has USS fitted - that was a surprise!
Car was ordered on 20th April and it was also supplied with a charger (in a nice black storage case) as well as a big blue charging cable (that is under the trunk floor)
Not sure if the side repeater cameras are the new or older type
Cheers
Steve
1C0A11B0-68B7-40F4-9406-0742F049FA86.jpeg

Hahahaha. Tesla examined their cost base and decided to remove sensors. That’s as far as they usually get. Replacement functionality in way down their priorities

Reactions: Boza