Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You listened to what Karpathy said and believe (i.e. have faith) it will work but have no evidence beyond his words.

I use the word ’faith’ because it’s accurate.

I have less of an open mind based on the reasons I listed above. Like I said, if you care to refute those points, please do so.

I agree. Tesla disabling radar 3 months ago was the straw that broke the camels back for me in ever trusting them again.

You listened to what Karpathy said and believe (i.e. have faith) it will work but have no evidence beyond his words.

I use the word ’faith’ because it’s accurate.

I have less of an open mind based on the reasons I listed above. Like I said, if you care to refute those points, please do so.
what are you on about? You want to "win" speculative arguments on the internet?
You are the one attacking and mischaracterizing and misrepresenting my posts. Not the other way around.

I'll have a civil discourse, and discuss and have conjecture (from me, and others. Conjecture isn't a bad word).

The issue with FSD is depth vs. width. MB decided to go deep, i.e. higher autonomy (L3) in limited use cases. Others decided to go wide, i.e. more use cases but lower autonomy. Tesla wants both, which is admirable, but it means that they will be in beta mode longer than the rest, while removing valuable driver assistance features.

In reference to the aerospace, autonomy there is a much easier problem to solve because of lower complexity and stronger regulation (FAA requires every aircraft to have a transponder, for example). Even then, we have pilots because autonomy has not reached the depth (complexity) and width (variety of cases) of a human. That makes me very skeptical about robotaxis in the near future, except in very limited cases - well defined boundaries, no inclement weather, pre-defined trajectory, etc. Unfortunately, the promises of FSD muddy the water.

Reactions: sleepydoc
My car not only farts, but it also stinks when the AC is turned on😂. Only Tesla !!
Have service take a look at the drain plug under the car. Some have mentioned that the hole wasn't large enough, or was clogged with mud/debris and wasn't draining, causing the smell. Others indicated that the cabin filter was to blame, and that swapping the filter solved the smell.

Reactions: Boza and Electroman
Airplanes line up the runway with things like VORs. This only gives them a straight line to the VOR and then they have a cleared runway to land on.
We also have GPS, as well as ILS (Instrument Landing System) that gives us localizer (think runway alignment) and Glideslope (think of a gentle slope down to the runway touchdown zone) that allows us to land in very low ceiling and visibility conditions (dependent on the terrain around the airport, but that's waaaaay beyond the scope of this discussion).

There are also different categories of ILS approaches, but again... beyond the scope of this post.

And as for the cleared runway... you'd be surprised! I've landed in over a foot of the fluffy stuff before. Very icy runways are also common. Luckily, the ABS systems in airliners works very, very well. Having reverse thrust ain't bad, either. ;)

It is for how often the filters need to be changed and the evaporator cleaned. No other car in our household or any other car I’ve ever owned had this issue. I’ve had to change my filters twice in 2 years. Our Audi is at year 3 and still hasn’t had a smell. And our Mercedes went 6 years smell-free.
I always run the heater for the last 5 min after running the AC. Not ideal but helps.

I always run the heater for the last 5 min after running the AC. Not ideal but helps.
To get rid of condensation moisture in the system, thus preventing bacteria/fungus buildup? Never thought of this.

Either way, many cars have AC smell issues. (Skoda: after 3 years using the AC smelt like feint urine smell, Mercedes: also after just 2 years AC issues. etc)

Maybe it depends on the climate and usage?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yes, it helps with getting the condensation out. The cabin feels like a sauna for a few minutes but I open the windows.

There are anti mold/bacteria chemicals that one sprays in the inlet but I certainly do not want to inhale those.

For some reason all my VW and Audi cars had this, actually pleasant, spicy smell in the first few seconds when I start the blower. I think they used some antibacterial coating on the evaporator because I never had smelly issues with them.

My 2022 LR has never had the AC smell issue. Never. My wifes 2021 Y gets it regularly for the first...20 seconds or so after you get in.
A year or so ago I removed the cabin filter, sprayed a foam spray (I cant recall which one, but it was recommended on this forum) into the cabin filter area, followed all directions, etc. Replaced with a new cabin filter. That fixed the problem for about..2 weeks.

She now just lives with it

My 2022 LR has never had the AC smell issue. Never. My wifes 2021 Y gets it regularly for the first...20 seconds or so after you get in.
A year or so ago I removed the cabin filter, sprayed a foam spray (I cant recall which one, but it was recommended on this forum) into the cabin filter area, followed all directions, etc. Replaced with a new cabin filter. That fixed the problem for about..2 weeks.

She now just lives with it
That's interesting. Does your Y have the new larger HEPA filter in the frunk?