Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have them, but I don't see how it would. The camera is well out of firing range of the rear tires.

Then how is it constantly getting caked with dirt/mud/snow?

Tires kick up stuff into the rear airstream which swirls it around coating the rear of the car.
Flaps should reduce stuff and, by extension, coating.

Tires kick up stuff into the rear airstream which swirls it around coating the rear of the car.
Flaps should reduce stuff and, by extension, coating.
I have had lots of cars with rear mudflaps (subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, Pickup trucks). They all get plastered with snow and dirt in back. It's not just the tires but snow coming over the top, under the car, around the sides. It's airflow.

I would love to know if rear mudflaps have an effect on our cars in particular, but I have great doubts it will come close to eliminating it.

Reactions: sleepydoc and Boza
I have had lots of cars with rear mudflaps (subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, Pickup trucks). They all get plastered with snow and dirt in back. It's not just the tires but snow coming over the top, under the car, around the sides. It's airflow.

I would love to know if rear mudflaps have an effect on our cars in particular, but I have great doubts it will come close to eliminating it.
Indeed, it would not eliminate it, and given optics, elimination is what is needed. It seems it would reduce it though (not that that helps a bunch).
Either a sprayer, air diverter, or active secondary lens may be needed for continuous cleanliness.

Reactions: Boza and DrGriz
Indeed, it would not eliminate it, and given optics, elimination is what is needed. It seems it would reduce it though (not that that helps a bunch).
Either a sprayer, air diverter, or active secondary lens may be needed for continuous cleanliness.
We once asked a mechanical engineer/rocket scientist how to prevent that snow buildup on the back of our Forester. He came up with: hitting it with a ball peen hammer, to create golf ball effect, smashing out the window, and driving backward, among other things. I am pretty sure that if there were an easy way, like some sort of spoiler, it would be incorporated into the design of at least some of these cars.

We once asked a mechanical engineer/rocket scientist how to prevent that snow buildup on the back of our Forester. He came up with: hitting it with a ball peen hammer, to create golf ball effect, smashing out the window, and driving backward, among other things. I am pretty sure that if there were an easy way, like some sort of spoiler, it would be incorporated into the design of at least some of these cars.
The backup camera in our 2016 Sonata hardly ever got covered in rain water, whereas the Model S camera gets covered in a few minutes. I suspect the aerodynamics of the Sonata prevented water build up, or blew it off. So it is possible to reduce the impact.

It might not help with snow, but I remember someone did make a makeshift plastic canopy/hood that did help solve the most common issue, which is the rear camera being obscured in heavy rain from the rain water dripping onto it. I'm thinking of doing one myself.

Edit here's one being sold on eBay:
I would probably wait until one is available on Amazon and with reviews to buy a readymade one.

There are probably some clever aerodynamic tricks that might be possible too (using the natural airflow to blast the water off the camera). As mentioned however up thread, I find when getting back down to parking lot speeds (as opposed to highway speeds), it does seem to clear itself out.

Other brands use solutions like wipers, heated camera, or having the camera retract (only helpful if camera is parking dedicated).

Last edited:
The backup camera in our 2016 Sonata hardly ever got covered in rain water, whereas the Model S camera gets covered in a few minutes. I suspect the aerodynamics of the Sonata prevented water build up, or blew it off. So it is possible to reduce the impact.
Yes, I think it is the aerodynamics of the car that does this more than anything. I suspect that what makes a Tesla efficient may also encourage the plastering of the rear.

Reactions: Boza and Mark II
There are probably some cleaver aerodynamic tricks that might be possible too (using the natural airflow to blast the water off the camera). As mentioned however up thread, I find when getting back down to parking lot speeds (as opposed to highway speeds), it does seem to clear itself out.

Other brands use solutions like wipers, heated camera, or having the camera retract (only helpful if camera is parking dedicated).
Abstract Ocean makes a lens cover for the 3/Y that they say helps with the rain collection on the lens: Superhydrophobic Camera Cover for Model 3 & Y

1671042218545.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It might not help with snow, but I remember someone did make a makeshift plastic canopy/hood that did help solve the most common issue, which is the rear camera being obscured in heavy rain from the rain water dripping onto it. I'm thinking of doing one myself.

Edit here's one being sold on eBay:
I would probably wait until one is available on Amazon and with reviews to buy a readymade one.

There are probably some clever aerodynamic tricks that might be possible too (using the natural airflow to blast the water off the camera). As mentioned however up thread, I find when getting back down to parking lot speeds (as opposed to highway speeds), it does seem to clear itself out.

This is super easy to 3D print - I may try it.
I think Tesla rear camera is heated. It is warm every time I touch it. That may be just from the electronics but seems enough to keep it clean of (most) snow.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
What about a good coat of Rain-X on the rear camera lens? Perhaps that will make the surface slick enough to let moisture / mud / snow slide off the lens without sticking as badly.
People have tried that and said it doesn't work. If anything it might make things worse (at least for rain) given it may leave a film of water that makes the whole thing blurry. Unlike the windshield there is no air moving to blow out the water droplets. That's why people did the makeshift rain shield (which seems to work ok).

Note also there are two types of RainX, one for glass and one for plastic. Not sure what type the rear camera lens is.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and Dewg
ultimately, the problem is aerodynamics, specifically the airflow in the immediate vicinity of the camera. We know that Tesla (and most automakers) pay a lot of attention to aerodynamics but I'd guess that not much attention is paid to the airflow around the rear camera. It's very possible that a relatively minor change such as a baffle would alter the airflow enough to reduce water build up, but I doubt you could do it without actually testing the designs.

Reactions: DrGriz
ultimately, the problem is aerodynamics, specifically the airflow in the immediate vicinity of the camera. We know that Tesla (and most automakers) pay a lot of attention to aerodynamics but I'd guess that not much attention is paid to the airflow around the rear camera. It's very possible that a relatively minor change such as a baffle would alter the airflow enough to reduce water build up, but I doubt you could do it without actually testing the designs.
I recall that my old Chevy Bolt had a rear camera, but it had a rear wiper, and when you used wiper fluid, it had a small nozzle just above the rear camera to wash away dirt.

People have tried that and said it doesn't work. If anything it might make things worse (at least for rain) given it may leave a film of water that makes the whole thing blurry. Unlike the windshield there is no air moving to blow out the water droplets. That's why people did the makeshift rain shield (which seems to work ok).

Note also there are two types of RainX, one for glass and one for plastic. Not sure what type the rear camera lens is.
In general, RainX works by adding a thin, hydrophobic layer (I believe it's a silicone compound) to the surface of the glass, causing water to bead up and run off easier. The risk of doing that is the film itself can actually obscure the optics.