Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me know when BMW or Honda start promising that their existing products on the lot will do something in the future that they are incapable of when a customer takes delivery.

If my 15 months with FSDb are any indication, Tesla is a still a long, long way from delivering what they sold me in 2018. There is no way I would trust their software promises at this point without proof.
You completely missed my point.

You completely missed my point.
I must have.

My reaction to your comment is that if other companies need to aim for Tesla’s ADAS performance then they have nothing to worry about.

Tesla ADAS blows. Sorry. I’ve got 80k miles of it under my belt and it’s awful. A million promises half delivered. The free ACC included with a Toyota Corolla is smoother.

I must have.

My reaction to your comment is that if other companies need to aim for Tesla’s ADAS performance then they have nothing to worry about.

Tesla ADAS blows. Sorry. I’ve got 80k miles of it under my belt and it’s awful. A million promises half delivered. The free ACC included with a Toyota Corolla is smoother.
You said Teslas are sitting on lots, so my comment was on the free market and how this is the chance other mfgs need to finally attack their number 1 rival. Every article about other EVs has Tesla somewhere in it, usually claiming "Tesla killer" or "take down Tesla". The CEOs can't pass up this opportunity while Tesla is struggling and heading for irrelevance and inevitable bankruptcy.

Weird because every test done by 3rd parties comparing systems always ranks Tesla #1 in actual capabilities and performance.

(though they often then ding the total score for stuff like driver monitoring)

FWIW the last time I had a Toyota/Lexus rental with ACC it turned itself off anytime you dropped below like 25 or 35 mph. It was cringetacular garbage compared to Tesla.

At a quick glance apparently some, but not all, models from Toyota now have a less trash goes-to-0 version, but not all I guess? This is a problem Tesla had fixed in 2014 in all vehicles they sold.

Weird because every test done by 3rd parties comparing systems always ranks Tesla #1 in actual capabilities and performance.

(though they often then ding the total score for stuff like driver monitoring)

FWIW the last time I had a Toyota/Lexus rental with ACC it turned itself off anytime you dropped below like 25 or 35 mph. It was cringetacular garbage compared to Tesla.

At a quick glance apparently some, but not all, models from Toyota now have a less trash goes-to-0 version, but not all I guess? This is a problem Tesla had fixed in 2014 in all vehicles they sold.

This is no longer the case.

In any event my car slams on the brakes for merges that doesn’t exist in the same spots it’s been doing so for the last five years. It darts for the center of real or perceived merged lanes, it hits the brakes for freeway signage it thinks are traffic lights, and on and on and on. Tesla never completes one feature before moving on to ten others. As such I won’t believe in Tesla Vision USS until it’s extremely proven.

For ACC Tesla is at best unremarkable. There is no catching up to be done for other automakers in that regard. I was a very firm believer in Elon’s prognostications for many years but reality just hasn’t produced anything useful beyond basic autopilot.

Wait just a moment while I call smart summon over to get me after FSD swings by the robotic supercharger real quick and I’ll be out of your hair. I’m going to read a book while my car navigates from Los Angeles to New York.

You said Teslas are sitting on lots, so my comment was on the free market and how this is the chance other mfgs need to finally attack their number 1 rival. Every article about other EVs has Tesla somewhere in it, usually claiming "Tesla killer" or "take down Tesla". The CEOs can't pass up this opportunity while Tesla is struggling and heading for irrelevance and inevitable bankruptcy.

Wow that was quite an extrapolation. Teslas are piling up in inventory and deleting an expected feature without a replacement isn’t helping. I have no opinion about and made no mention of Tesla killers, taking down Tesla, bankruptcy, or the like.

Tesla has clearly entered a new phase of their business. Cars in inventory less than two weeks into a new quarter is a new thing for the company.

I am under the impression that Tesla is increasing production something like 30% in the next year. For the first time inventory is sitting around and deleting USS without a viable replacement can’t be helping. As a current and potentially future Tesla customer I wouldn’t even consider a car without USS based upon Elon’s promises of a software solution.

I am not an early adopter. That is why I waited almost 10 years to get a Tesla. For me the car is a tool; I need it to work reliably and I am not interested in testing such product. Frankly, I would swap the entire FSD, with all its irrelevant features (like forced auto wipers) for decent auto high beams, working ACC, auto wipers, good UX… basic driver assistance features. I just want a reliable car that I can drive myself and enjoy it.

They should keep working on FSDb and let those people who are early adopters use it and improve it. For the rest of us, there should be just a good EV. This mix of good, proven technology (drivetrain, Superchargers) with beta development (FSD, Tesla Vision) erodes the mass customer confidence.

And EM should just shut up. He is becoming a liability…

I have to admit it would be nice to have working auto wipers and high beams like regular cars have. I think it's a matter of principal with Tesla to do everything using vision though. They won't install a 1 dollar rain sensor even though it would totally fix the problem. Not sure if that's stubbornness or pride, but it makes it hard to drive in the rain.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday
I have to admit it would be nice to have working auto wipers and high beams like regular cars have. I think it's a matter of principal with Tesla to do everything using vision though. They won't install a 1 dollar rain sensor even though it would totally fix the problem. Not sure if that's stubbornness or pride, but it makes it hard to drive in the rain.
It might not be a rain sensor that's causing your problem. Could be something else with the cameras. I've never had a dry wipe in the 2 years I've owned the car, and with the recent crazy rain in California, my wipers have been rock solid. No crazy over-wiping on a light mist, or failing to wipe with heavier rain.

The only environment I cannot duplicate is pitch darkness while raining, as there is almost always street lights around me.

Reactions: Yelobird and enemji
It might not be a rain sensor that's causing your problem. Could be something else with the cameras. I've never had a dry wipe in the 2 years I've owned the car, and with the recent crazy rain in California, my wipers have been rock solid. No crazy over-wiping on a light mist, or failing to wipe with heavier rain.
I've had poor auto wipers with my 2020 Model X and 2022 Model Y, to the point of being unusable. On my Y, I just use the push button to wipe as needed, and if it's heavy enough, select from the speed settings presented. My wife drives the X mostly and she complains constantly about it. My 2014 Model S had the best wipers, followed by my 2016 Model X. Seems like they've gotten worse (for me) each time I buy a new Tesla.

Build quality is better, though..

Reactions: Boza
I've had poor auto wipers with my 2020 Model X and 2022 Model Y, to the point of being unusable. On my Y, I just use the push button to wipe as needed, and if it's heavy enough, select from the speed settings presented. My wife drives the X mostly and she complains constantly about it. My 2014 Model S had the best wipers, followed by my 2016 Model X. Seems like they've gotten worse (for me) each time I buy a new Tesla.

Do you also have poor Driver Assist performance, such as excessive phantom braking?

It might not be a rain sensor that's causing your problem. Could be something else with the cameras. I've never had a dry wipe in the 2 years I've owned the car, and with the recent crazy rain in California, my wipers have been rock solid.
My problem is the opposite. It is raining and the wipers don't turn on reliably. Usually this happens with light rain. The whole windshield can be covered with water and I can barely see a thing, but the Tesla auto wipers say "Looks fine to me! No need to wipe :)". So I have to keep pressing the button manually.

Reactions: Ipcress
My problem is the opposite. It is raining and the wipers don't turn on reliably. Usually this happens with light rain. The whole windshield can be covered with water and I can barely see a thing, but the Tesla auto wipers say "Looks fine to me! No need to wipe :)". So I have to keep pressing the button manually.
Same question for you. Do you have poor Driver Assist performance, such as excessive phantom braking?

The "AI" wiper system sure seems like it needs good lighting to work decently at all. It is fair on my 2017 X ... but only during good daylight or when there are really well light streetlights. Without that lot of manual. A poor design choice/change by most accounts.

Mine behaves this way when there is no contrast for the cameras to use. Grey sky against a misty windshield and I get no action from the wipers. As soon as I approach something with contrast (a dark concrete overpass for example) the system realizes it’s occluded and starts the wipers.

This is where a $1 IR sensor behind the glass wins. Doesn’t matter if it’s pitch black, misty on grey, etc, it’s just looking for refracted IR due to moisture on the glass. It’s a technology that’s been working reliably for decades. I had a 2008 Mazda that had better auto wipers than my Tesla.

Just like with radar and ultrasonics someone at Tesla dictated the removal of the IR in late 2016 and directed the engineers to fabricate a magic replacement in order to save a buck.