TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla reports second-quarter

Discussion in 'News' started by NigelM, Aug 3, 2011.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#1 NigelM, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

3. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Some interesting tidbits:

190 Roadsters sold last quarter (more than 2 per day) for revenue of $27million, which equates to an ASP of over $142K per Roadster.
    That represents a gross margin of 22% - Tesla has figured out how to make money on Roadsters.

Tesla expects gross margins on the Model S to be 25%.

These are exceptional gross margins, and I think reflect that Tesla is also the dealer, so they get that markup as well.

One of the 15 Model S Alphas has logged more than 150K miles (equivalent).
    50 Betas will be produced. Unveiling to the public in "a few months."

5300 Model S reservations as of the end of June 2011 - Looks like TMC's tracking is spot on!

Model X deliveries scheduled to start late 2013 - less than 18 months after Model S deliveries start.

RAV4 drivetrains to commence shipping to Toyota in early 2012.

Musk himself has invested $41 million.

4. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

this is great news. the model s is too small for my traveling lifestyle so have been hoping for the model x. Hopefully it will fulfill my expectations......... we'll see.

5. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Did I understand Elon's opening statement in the Q&A section correctly, that aside from the $100 million deal with Toyota, they are in discussions for a deal an order of magnitude larger than that?

6. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

That's certainly the story picked up on the various auto blogs (autoblog green, TTAC, etc)

7. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Tesla Motors CEO Discusses Q2 2011 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

8. JimmWilks

JimmWilks Member

When talking about a deal "in order of 90 or larger than that" I assume he means a $190 million deal? This is typical Elon-speak.

9. JimmWilks

JimmWilks Member

#9 JimmWilks, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    I'd forgotten about their "safest car" target, frankly I thought it was a bit of a pipe dream. I will be amazed if Tesla can bring this car to market being so astonishingly good at pretty much everything and still make money on it, but it looks like they're on track. It's Tesla making and reaching these sorts of targets for themselves that is so astonishing and inspiring given their start-up status.

Edit: Continuing reading, TM are planning a big event on the 1st of October for Model S reservation holders. Sounds like some big presentations about the car, particularly regarding what's considered when making a car safe, and some Beta test drives for automotive press and test rides for reservation holders. Very exciting!

10. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

$190million or $9billion - I'd guess the former, and hope for the latter ;-)

Its only a prospect, anyway. Nothing committed.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I love how people like James Carlini in the comments on the Seeking Alpha post compare it to the Volt as proof electric cars won't succeed. If you're going to compare it to anything, I would think the Leaf would be a better comparison but even then, it's in a different market.

12. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Excited about the October 1st event! Thought this quote was intersting...

"But we want to come out with a new product every year. And so there will be Model S mostly next year, Model X the year thereafter, another vehicle a year after that and another vehicle a year after that."

I wonder what other vehicles they have up their sleeve...

- mnx

13. JimmWilks

JimmWilks Member

A van and a cabriolet (roadster 3.0?) have been suggested quite speculatively by Tesla before as sharing the Model S platform, and I'd imagine for cost and time saving reasons they'd like to use the platform to it's fullest extent before moving onto a new platform (Bluestar at last?). I did think this was very interesting though, certainly keep the forum busy!

14. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I've been given the understanding that 10 Betas have been completed already and that October will begin the test drives for reservation holders only. No public test drives will take place due to the limited number of dealers and cars.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

sign me up!

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

My sources say 12 cars are in the works.

With 19 stores, it makes me go hmmmm...

17. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

It makes me feel sorry for all those foreign stores. :tongue: At least they'll be able to buy a Roadster longer than we can.

18. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#18 Norbert, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  19. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'd take that to mean "on the order of 90+ million".

A very upbeat press release without a lot of the usual artificially "happiness double speak" I've come to expect from most companies. I'm really hoping to get my Model S by the end of next summer.

20. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

Agreed re the transcripts. TTAC says that a 'tesla official' confirmed the 'order of magnitude larger' bit later on.