Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla requesting more money for registration after I have already taken delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up my used 2020 model 3 from Tesla in Portland, OR last week. I paid $198 to transfer my license plates (and discussed this during my pickup appointment with the person there, and gave them another copy of my previous registration for proof that I own the plates).

Everything was all good until today when I got an email from Tesla, and a payment link to hand them over $394.50 for "unpaid" registration fees. I asked the finance person emailing me what the fee was actually for since I already paid my registration fees, and they said that based on the MVPA I needed to pay the remaining amount. The MVPA they linked me showed a registration amount of $592.50, whereas the previous MVPA I have saved shows $198 which I already paid.

Has anyone else had this happen, and is this typical for Tesla?

What does your state charge for registration and titling?

I’m guessing it’s 100% legitimate.
$592 is how much it would be for me to get new plates entirely. I am really unsure what Tesla is trying to do since I explicitly selected plate transfer in the app during my pre-delivery tasks, and even made sure to mention this to the customer service during pickup.

$592 is how much it would be for me to get new plates entirely. I am really unsure what Tesla is trying to do since I explicitly selected plate transfer in the app during my pre-delivery tasks, and even made sure to mention this to the customer service during pickup.

So, did they actually transfer or get you new plates? Or are you still waiting to find out?

If you can catch and correct their mistake before they go to dmv, shouldn’t be a problem. If they already filed it, well, I’ve never met a flexible DMV. 😂😂

Good luck!!!

Sounds like they filed new plates for the OP. In any case, OP will need to find out what’s actually happening. These fees are typically legit, just a question of what is actually happening with the transaction (new or transfer).
Happens with legacy dealers all the time too

Exactly — entirely possible Tesla filed it wrong with the DMV, and now unfortunately once DMV processes it, those fees are legit.

Or, Tesla did it right with DMV, and they’re just assuming the usual DMV fee.

Or, the paperwork is sitting in a folder somewhere within Tesla waiting for the updated DMV fees to be paid. This is the best case because it’s easily correctable.