Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla requires 60A Disconnect switch w/charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a quote from a Tesla authorized installer today and he says Tesla requires a 60A disconnect switch within 5’ of the home charger? Is this true? The reason I ask is it added $425.00 to the quote (not including the charger) vs just going with just a 50A and a NEMA 14/50 plug.

New Gen 3 HPWC? Nothing about such a requirement in the documentation and both of mine were installed by a very “by the book” electrician.

The entire job to install two of the Gen 3’s, with the breaker panel being on opposite side of the house, was $850.

Sounds like a money grab, if he insists ask him to show you where Tesla requires that, all the docs are available on their website.

If you want to use this electrician simply tell him that you don't want the switch and that you have reviewed Tesla's documentation. I do not have a switch (gen 2 wall connector).

It's interesting how the norm for electricians has become a money grab. I suppose its the long term good economy.

Prior to one of the NEC updates a few years ago, a disconnect was required. They added an exemption for EV charging equipment. Depending on what version of the NEC your jurisdiction follows, this could be related.

HOWEVER... a 60A non-fusible disconnect costs $10 at most. It's what's used for every home air conditioner unit. Tell him to sharpen his pencil on that one. A lot.

I think what people are forgetting here is that these are circuits that will be used for multiple hours at a time, and in some cases as much as eight hours per use. That’s different then a dryer running a cycle for an hour to an hour and a half.

The more robust the better. Especially if you have more than one tesla in your household. As it is, I already get some small voltage sag just at 40a off our NEMA 14-50 with its own GFCI box.

Another thing he said was that you cannot buy a charger until you order the car and have a VIN#. That has to be a ludicrous statement. I said so you are telling me people can’t install a charger a head of time to be prepared for the arrival of their car.....that makes no sense.

This is not true, I ordered 6. Two Gen 2 white, while in transit black came back in stock. While black was in transit Gen 3 was released. I returned the Gen 2’s.

Another thing he said was that you cannot buy a charger until you order the car and have a VIN#. That has to be a ludicrous statement. I said so you are telling me people can’t install a charger a head of time to be prepared for the arrival of their car.....that makes no sense.
That is a lie. Find a different installer.

Pretty common on AC condenser units and they are hard wired just like the HPWC. I have never heard of or seen such a thing such a thing for an EV charger. Sounds to me like another $$$ making scheme involving a rebate but requiring "Certified" installers.

On the other hand it could be an issue intended for a service tech if the breaker box is not readily or easily available.

Pretty common on AC condenser units and they are hard wired just like the HPWC. I have never heard of or seen such a thing such a thing for an EV charger. Sounds to me like another $$$ making scheme involving a rebate but requiring "Certified" installers.

On the other hand it could be an issue intended for a service tech if the breaker box is not readily or easily available.

Breaker box is in the family room about 13’ from the garage.

370FEA26-0DFB-4949-BAD8-7D360488E900.jpeg

The NEC requires a local disconnect for >60amp circuits. It is precisely why Tesla started limiting charging to 48amps... 60 x 0.8 = 48 amps. Any higher than that, you must have local disconnect. You might be cheaper just to tell him to fuse it for 50amps and charge at 40amps.

• Disagree
Reactions: X-pilot
he specifically said it was a Tesla requirement. I am going to get a couple more estimates.

One thing to be aware of is that these guys have a fixed sense of what they want to make from the project and they just make up the itemized "cost of parts" to make you feel good. They are too ashamed to say upfront that they want $125-$200 per hour of labor and minimum 4 hours. Don't bother saying "I don't need the $10 switch" - he'll just move $415 to the labor rate.

If you a rich guy he will charge you $425 extra for the connector install, if not, he'll give you a break and save 1-2 hours labor (and in his mind get the job). Also, what that tells you is $425 is your approximate room for negotiations.

You've got your breaker box in a finished room, I don't think that that will come cheap.

I'm no expert, but does he need to remove the sheetrock and repaint? Does he need to dismount the TV and remount it, move furniture, etc? I suppose there is a way to do it by pulling on one of the existing wires and using it as a guide, but that is also not easy.

Update: wow, this guy is crazy. Read the post about the VIN. You're still going to be likely to have similar troubles with other electricians, but this guy appears delusional.

Last edited: