Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla requires 60A Disconnect switch w/charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens when the charging cord is no longer needed, will people still call it the charger? WiTricity's wireless charging option will be available for Tesla vehicles in select locations in the US starting in late 2022. We can expect wireless charging to be widely available by 2023.

WiTricity Wireless Vehicle Charging
I work as a process control engineer in the paper industry. We use inductive heating to distort a calendering roll to control the thickness of the sheet of paper we're making. These heaters are 94% efficient. It is not uncommon to have 150 6kw heaters across a 30ft width. We are very interested in power efficiency. If there was another product that was 96% eff, we'd be all over it. All the major players (ABB, Valmet, Honeywell) all plateau at 94%.

All of that said... The inductive heaters transfer energy to a steel "dummy load". If we wanted to recover that energy back into electricity, in theory the best we could do is another 94% efficiency. So 0.94 x 0.94 is 88%. As slick as wireless charging sounds, why on earth would you take the largest energy using device in your home and make it cost 12% more to run?

There is a guy west of Seattle who is working on an automatic connecting method for EVs. He's already done a magnetically attached charge connector for his Nissan Leaf and his wife can nail the +/- 2" left right tolerance to get it to connect every single time. He uses the same thing on his M3, but it requires some surgery you don't want to do... so he's working on something that uses the charge port that is better than the tesla snake.

All in all... if you ask my wife how long it takes to charge her car, she'll say 15 seconds. Plug it in, pet the dog and walk inside.

Reactions: SMC-tx and mswlogo
People will do whatever is easiest. An EV is the four wheel equivalent of the cell phone. My cell phone charges wirelessly and also can be charged using a plug. I rarely use the plug to charge my cell phone.
For me I guess it depends on loss, battery degradation and charge rate. I don't mind charging my phone because I throw it out every couple years so don't mind that it negatively affects the battery or charging loss. My electric is bad enough at .17c/Kw with no off peak savings I wouldn't like any loss in efficiency. Now when they start doing those charging roads everywhere that would be great. :)

Reactions: ucmndd
EV adoption will advance once consumers have the option of wireless charging for their electric vehicle at home and at public charging locations. If you arrive at your destination burdened with things that needs to be carried and small children not having to plug in to charge is a win.

EV adoption will advance once consumers have the option of wireless charging for their electric vehicle at home and at public charging locations. If you arrive at your destination burdened with things that needs to be carried and small children not having to plug in to charge is a win.
I don't know, I think it's more a question of just being able to pull up to the charger, plug in and go, like the SC network. Versus having to pull up, open an app or mess around with a screen on the charge unit (maybe in the rain), wait for it to authorize, then plug in and see if it starts. Then maybe have to start over at another station. Sure, wireless charging would be nice but I don't see that being a 'thing' in enough places to really make a difference for years.

Reactions: ucmndd and Rocky_H
If your locality has adopted the 2017 revision of the National Electrical Code (NEC) all new installations of a charging circuit with receptacle (any type) that will be used to charge a plug-in vehicle or an EV must be protected via a GFCI. For higher amperage circuits such as the NEMA 14-50 the only available option is a GFCI circuit breaker which can cost over $100.
Not quite accurate. The GFCI requirement was added to the *2020* edition (which only a handful of states have adopted so far). The 2017 code only requires GFCI for single phase circuits under 150V and under 50A (so this 240V 14-50 on a 50A breaker would not require GFCI under the 2017 code, but would under 2020)

See 625.54

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not quite accurate. The GFCI requirement was added to the *2020* edition (which only a handful of states have adopted so far). The 2017 code only requires GFCI for single phase circuits under 150V and under 50A (so this 240V 14-50 on a 50A breaker would not require GFCI under the 2017 code, but would under 2020)

See 625.54
You've misread/misinterpreted 625.54 in 2017. It says under 150V to ground, which any typical 240V service in the US meets (it is 120V to ground). Yes, a 14-50 needs GFCI unless you've done something very unusual.

See 625.54
The code says 150v to ground.... since the USA is split phase, that means 240v circuits.

The code says 150v to ground.... since the USA is split phase, that means 240v circuits.
I stand corrected. The 2017 code was not very clear (in part I suspect why they changed it);

625.54 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. All single-phase receptacles installed tor the connection of electric vehicle charging that are rated 150 volts to ground or less, and 50 amperes or less shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Last edited:
I am so happy that I learned how to screw wire into a switch or outlet, and how to drill holes in wall studs. I do all of my simple electrical work, which means I bought my own 220 volt outlet, ran 30' of 6/3 with ground, and connected it to a 50 amp circuit breaker. When I needed to, I cut a path through the sheetrock, and patched that when I was done. I did my whole job for zero cost of labor and a few dollars for wire and an outlet, plus a new circuit breaker. Now I see that electricians are out to gouge us. Well, not me, because I stand behind them every minute and watch what they do, and ask questions as they go. Every job I do I learn more, and it translates into money in my pocket.

Being an electrician begs to gouge just from the nature of their work and the stupidity of their customers. Same as any other profession. So do your homework and ask intelligent questions and offer to help.

Its was $1500 to install a 100A sub-panel in my garage on the other side of the house, 60A breaker, Tesla charger, using copper wire, drilling through the pad to get to the lower level, and run conduit the entire way.

Three man crew was here all day… and they worked for it.

I had already bought the charger.

I am so happy that I learned how to screw wire into a switch or outlet, and how to drill holes in wall studs. I do all of my simple electrical work, which means I bought my own 220 volt outlet, ran 30' of 6/3 with ground, and connected it to a 50 amp circuit breaker. When I needed to, I cut a path through the sheetrock, and patched that when I was done. I did my whole job for zero cost of labor and a few dollars for wire and an outlet, plus a new circuit breaker. Now I see that electricians are out to gouge us. Well, not me, because I stand behind them every minute and watch what they do, and ask questions as they go. Every job I do I learn more, and it translates into money in my pocket.

Being an electrician begs to gouge just from the nature of their work and the stupidity of their customers. Same as any other profession. So do your homework and ask intelligent questions and offer to help.
Ah, so you'd run a business and do licensed, insured electrical work for people and charge significantly less money?