Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Requires at least 60 days paid insurance to take delivery??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery date is June 4th. The Tesla rep on the phone was going through my account and noticed my insurance policy valid from July 25, 2020 - July 25, 2021. I pay my insurance bill yearly. My Model Y is already on the policy. He tells me I can't take delivery with this insurance because it expires before 60 days from my delivery date. I talk to my insurance company and they say they can't change my expiration date because it is what it is. Did this Tesla rep just not know what he was talking about? Would be pretty dumb if I have to change insurance providers (and probably pay more) just to get an expiration date that goes past 60 days. Anyone else go through this before?

I’ll have to ask and find out if I can do that.
I really can't imagine they would say "No we don't want to take your money now." LOL. You may even be able to download the next year proof of insurance before you pay. I know my insurance put the proof of insurance (for next term) online a couple of months before the due date. You should check to see if the document is there online already.

Tesla uses US Bank. I have purchased many cars in my lifetime and have only had to show proof of insurance. Never at least 2 months worth. I think your rep is wrong. I would ask to speak with his/her supervisor.

Tesla uses US Bank. I have purchased many cars in my lifetime and have only had to show proof of insurance. Never at least 2 months worth. I think your rep is wrong. I would ask to speak with his/her supervisor.
Mathematically speaking, if they are requiring all their customers to have non-expiring auto insurance in the next 2 month of picking up their cars, 1/6 of their customers will have to pay their insurance early. Maybe that rep has a side job of selling 2 months of temporary insurance!

So apparently this is a Texas thing. But they were able to make it work out, only my temporary plates expire in 1 month instead of 2. If I don't receive my registration within a month I just have to contact Tesla to get another temporary plate.

The reason they want 60 days is so they can request temp tags for 2 months. If it only shows 30 days they’ll have to do a second request if your tags haven’t come in by the 30 day mark. It’s some Tesla wants to have but isn’t a requirement.

My delivery date is June 4th. The Tesla rep on the phone was going through my account and noticed my insurance policy valid from July 25, 2020 - July 25, 2021. I pay my insurance bill yearly. My Model Y is already on the policy. He tells me I can't take delivery with this insurance because it expires before 60 days from my delivery date. I talk to my insurance company and they say they can't change my expiration date because it is what it is. Did this Tesla rep just not know what he was talking about? Would be pretty dumb if I have to change insurance providers (and probably pay more) just to get an expiration date that goes past 60 days. Anyone else go through this before?
Well that’s the dumbest thing ever. You have the insurance, period.

What ended up happening in this situation?

So what happened? I am about to pick up my car in a month and my insurance current term also expired in January 2022. It won’t be 60 days shown😩
Since you are in FL this applies to you - I've bought two cars in the past 6 weeks.

Purchased VW ID.4 on a whim (signed and drove off in an hour) and they told me I needed insurance for the new vehicle within 7 days (any current insurance is fine) and then I picked up a demo MYLR last week with the same insurance. I had an open quote with GEICO and simply activated it when I returned home with my MYLR.

You should be fine.