Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla requiring a charger be installed before delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WileyTheMan

Peanut Gallery Member
Apr 20, 2016
Los Gatos, CA
I did some searching here but couldn't find an answer to this. Someone told me that Tesla can/will refuse delivery of a vehicle if the customer doesn't provide proof of a car charger (not a typical 110v) installed at your residence. I thought this was a bogus comment, but I really don't know. Is there truth to this?

I did some searching here but couldn't find an answer to this. Someone told me that Tesla can/will refuse delivery of a vehicle if the customer doesn't provide proof of a car charger (not a typical 110v) installed at your residence. I thought this was a bogus comment, but I really don't know. Is there truth to this?

They didn't require one from me (2013 pick up) and they sell some of them worldwide to apartment owners who don't even have a parking spot. Just charge every few days.

Google is your friend, here's a quote:

"Tesla has tried to forestall the problem of buyers ending up with cars with no power. It said earlier this year it wouldn't deliver cars unless local charging stations were available, frustrating some early buyers."

Google is your friend, here's a quote:

"Tesla has tried to forestall the problem of buyers ending up with cars with no power. It said earlier this year it wouldn't deliver cars unless local charging stations were available, frustrating some early buyers."

This doesn't prove what the OP was told. This only says local charging somewhere should be available.

There were some stories of the opposite - a Tesla recommended electrician requiring a car to prove an HWPC was installed properly before finishing the project. That's also a bit silly since the HWPC can self-test without a car. My DS asked if we knew about charging hardware, but beyond that there was no discussion.

Absolutely false in North America, Europe, and as far as I know in Hong Kong.

Although as one of the non-garaged, I do look forward to the day (in my overly-regulated hood) that we will finally have reserved charging spaces (rumor has it with solar canopies, so they won't be fast, but they will be perfectly sufficient). There's nothing better than waking up with a full charge.

Reactions: callmesam