TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla requiring a charger be installed before delivery?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by WileyTheMan, May 26, 2016.

1. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

I did some searching here but couldn't find an answer to this. Someone told me that Tesla can/will refuse delivery of a vehicle if the customer doesn't provide proof of a car charger (not a typical 110v) installed at your residence. I thought this was a bogus comment, but I really don't know. Is there truth to this?

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Not true, several people charge off site from their home and this would alienate apartment dwellers as well as other sites where level 2 charging is not feasible.

Who told you this? Best to follow-up with the person and try to gain further insight as they most likely misunderstood.

• Informative x 3
  3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

They didn't require one from me (2013 pick up) and they sell some of them worldwide to apartment owners who don't even have a parking spot. Just charge every few days.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

5. Phoenixhawk101

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Make believe.

7. DougH

DougH Active Member

Not true at all. When I bough my first Tesla many moons ago I did not have a charger at home, I relied on public charging and supercharger. It was awful.

8. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I was told this only as a requirement to have a long term test drive that I needed a proper charger. Purchasing the car doesn't apply like that.

9. Vitold

Vitold Member

Yes...in China.

10. Festerfeet

Festerfeet Member

No, not true.

11. deonb

deonb Active Member

12. Vitold

Vitold Member

Google is your friend, here's a quote:

"Tesla has tried to forestall the problem of buyers ending up with cars with no power. It said earlier this year it wouldn't deliver cars unless local charging stations were available, frustrating some early buyers."

13. msnow

msnow Active Member

This doesn't prove what the OP was told. This only says local charging somewhere should be available.

14. brec

brec Member

--"It said" that two years ago about China.

• Informative x 2
  15. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Great information, thank you all! It was a passing comment my father-in-law got from a Tesla sales person, but the man is 80 years old so he might not have fully understood what the young whipper-snapper was trying to convey. :)

16. scole04

scole04 Member

Adding another complication to an already complex process......ahh no.

17. sigmo32

sigmo32 Member

There were some stories of the opposite - a Tesla recommended electrician requiring a car to prove an HWPC was installed properly before finishing the project. That's also a bit silly since the HWPC can self-test without a car. My DS asked if we knew about charging hardware, but beyond that there was no discussion.

18. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Bought mine a year ago, charged at 110V for a few months before deciding that 240V would be easier (my commute was short, I could've gotten away with 110V, bu tit was just easier to use 240V).

19. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Absolutely false in North America, Europe, and as far as I know in Hong Kong.

Although as one of the non-garaged, I do look forward to the day (in my overly-regulated hood) that we will finally have reserved charging spaces (rumor has it with solar canopies, so they won't be fast, but they will be perfectly sufficient). There's nothing better than waking up with a full charge.

• Like x 1
  20. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member