Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla requiring cars to update to new firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Saw this on twitter:

EQoHOf2XsAADht3

All presumptive based on a few posts I've seen floating around but they are (apparently) shutting down the VPN that was previously used to connect to Tesla and are now using TLS over Websockets for security.

It's a wise move, technically, and should make things a bit more snappy for owners, but unfortunately it does sound like it would require everybody to get an update.

Instead of having a VPN that just goes to one location, presumably to a datacenter at the mothership. Using Websockets potentially allows them to, in modern cloud computing style, geographically locate services for performance and redundancy.

Being a nerd, you would think I would love the always connected nature of a Tesla, but being an experienced nerd, I know it's not in our best interest. At the same time, I also know that Tesla will have to leave some of us behind when they update services, they aren't required to forever hold on to infrastrucutre to accommodate vehicles with older software that refuse or can't be updated.

I don't think Tesla is evil, just the opposite. However, having a master switch they can flip is a bit scary.

Last edited:
All presumptive based on a few posts I've seen floating around but they are (apparently) shutting down the VPN that was previously used to connect to Tesla and are now using TLS over Websockets for security.

It's a wise move, technically, and should make things a bit more snappy for owners, but unfortunately it does sound like it would require everybody to get an update.

Instead of having a VPN that just goes to one location, presumably to a datacenter at the mothership. Using Websockets potentially allows them to, in modern cloud computing style, geographically locate services for performance and redundancy.

Being a nerd, you would think I would love the always connected nature of a Tesla, but being an experienced nerd, I know it's not in our best interest. At the same time, I also know that Tesla will have to leave some of us behind when they update services, they aren't required to forever hold on to infrastrucutre to accommodate vehicles with older software that refuse or can't be updated.

I don't think Tesla is evil, just the opposite. However, having a master switch they can flip is a bit scary.
Well said. For all of the shortcomings that aggravate me about Tesla, this isn't one of them.

Fellow non-butt hurt MCU1 owner chiming in:

This new Tesla firmware warning was reported on the "butt hurt" (LOL) threads for MCU1 MMC and charge gate.

There were a few posts claiming a conspiracy on Tesla's part to neuter (or was it spay) their cars with newer firmware that removed features and turned their cars into worthless "disposable" slag heaps on wheels.

One owner who has a disconnected door handle (which presumably prevents firmware updates from proceeding) advised the group that a new firmware update proceeded despite these draconian precautions against their will. Lawsuit surely underway.

/s I'm out.

Being recent to the Tesla community I guess I don't understand the resistance here. On the surface, this seems little different to me than Microsoft phasing out support of older Windows versions.

It's exactly like that. However imagine that you bought your version of Windows for tens of thousands of dollars.

That summarises a lot of the posts.

Welcome to TMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive