Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is unclear still if this is a) a slot at the end of the 2008s or already produced cars that someone has backed out of.

The title is "Teslas available for Immediate Delivery" posted by someone from Tesla.

With how many cars have been delivered to date, we are not at the end of 2008 production.

If myself and over one thousand other people are still waiting with substantial deposits down on the car should not these cars available for immediate delivery go to one of us rather than somebody not even on the list, albeit for an increased price, from the Lamborghini site?

That post was not about the same cars as the e-mail. The people with money down on a car are getting robbed. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I am not really upset by it. They told me at the time of my deposit (and it has been reiterated multiple times since) that if a slot becomes available, they reserve the right to sell that slot to someone else who is a high profile client.

I think that is what happened with Matt Damon, and some other high profile folks. I think they have also auctioned off slots in the past for charity when people have bowed out.

Even with that policy they have already moved my spot up from #524 to #471. If they are truly selling existing cars that someone backed out of, then they would probably let me take that car home too if I ponied up the additional $30k they are selling them for over my current price . If I just keep my current deposit in as is, I don't think my slot is going to go farther away than my current #471 because of this, it just may not move up any more.

If they built 100 cars specifically to sell off immediately at the stores, effectively pushing me from 471 to 571, I might be a little upset, but I don't think that is what is happening. I think they are selling already built cars (at an amazing premium) from someone in front of me who backed out too late to cancel his order. Since that original person was ahead of me anyway, I don't see it as harming me any.

So according to how much you have already moved up, around 10% of people are backing out?
I would think if it came to the point where my car was arriving I would sell my spot or the car on ebay instead of handing that twenty or thirty thousand dollar profit to them, as would most people.

Further the cars that are still being delivered now are cars that were paid for in full over 2 years ago, or at the very least had very large deposits down. These slots aren't guys that cannnot afford to take delivery.

They are on the ropes financially and have to sell cars at full price to new people rather than delivering them to the people that paid for them years ago. That is what is really going on and it stinks.

Like a rental car company, they know how to "take" the reservation, they just don't know how to "keep" the reservation.

If they are going to go on the guise that these are just extra cars from people backing out, which I don't believe for a second that is the case, then they should of made that very clear and left no questions or doubts. I don't think that many people that have already paid for them are backing out of the hottest car in the world. And if they are, Tesla should be calling up the hundreds and hundreds of people that have been waiting in line for years now first, not posting "cars for immediate delivery with no waiting" ads on luxury car forums. Lamborghinis have to be some of the most polluting cars in the world. Seems anti Tesla. Why not offer them on green blogs if they are going to cut us out of the deal? Is the car about saving the world or just grabbing the most cash possible at whatever cost? Unfortunately they are looking more and more like a "car company" every day.

I would think if it came to the point where my car was arriving I would sell my spot or the car on ebay instead of handing that twenty or thirty thousand dollar profit to them, as would most people.
This is not allowed as per the contract signed with Tesla upon putting down a deposit.
Further the cars that are still being delivered now are cars that were paid for in full over 2 years ago, or at the very least had very large deposits down. These slots aren't guys that cannnot afford to take delivery.
Well, past the Signature 100 (which we are now through) it is no longer the case that the cars have been pre-paid. Considering the very long lead time between when a car begins manufacture, and arrives there can certainly be cars that start production and get canceled before it arrives. If you had seen the value of my stock portfolio 2 years ago vs its value today you would not immediately assume that everyone who is getting a Tesla today "aren't guys that cannot afford to take delivery"

They are on the ropes financially and have to sell cars at full price to new people rather than delivering them to the people that paid for them years ago. That is what is really going on and it stinks.

I do not believe this. Is this your opinion, or do you have any insider knowledge on this? The company claims with its current financing it can get to profitability by late Spring. The cars at the end of the 2008 run will sell for just as much as in the middle. The company gains nothing by creating new slots in the middle and selling now that they would not get by just selling a couple of months from now.

They have been very clear for months that they are selling the extra slots at the end of 2008 for a hefty premium. If there are a handful of pre-built cars they want taken off their hands for that same premium in the mean time, I don't see it as hurting anyone. My production slot has not moved in any direction but up.

Well, past the Signature 100 (which we are now through) it is no longer the case that the cars have been pre-paid.

Where has this been stated? They just delivered the 100th car (Signature # 81). With the 27 Founders series cars I would think they have a bit to go on the Signature 100s. There are post in the owners forum indicating that cars in the 70s are being delivered in the coming week.

I don't remember the exact time line, when did the down payment requirement drop to 75K? Was it immediately after the Signature 100? I know it was quite a while later that it dropped to 50K.

...Why not offer them on green blogs if they are going to cut us out of the deal? Is the car about saving the world or just grabbing the most cash possible at whatever cost?...

A fair number of Tesla customers fall into one of two buckets:

1. The eco-green customer who had their EV1 taken away, now drives a RAV4EV (or maybe Prius) and wants something to replace that missing EV1. (Basically the "Who Killed the Electric Car" customer). These customers tend to be more sensitive to price. These customers will probably try to keep their Tesla forever.
  2. The trendy sexy sports car of the moment customer. These customers may already have Lamborghinis, Ferraris or other high end exotics. They want a Tesla more for the wow factor than the fact that it is pure electric. (Basically the "Gumball Rally" customer). These customers tend to not care so much about price. These customers may also get rid of the Tesla when something new and more trendy comes along in a few years.

If they are going to go on the guise that these are just extra cars from people backing out, which I don't believe for a second that is the case, then they should of made that very clear and left no questions or doubts. I don't think that many people that have already paid for them are backing out of the hottest car in the world. And if they are, Tesla should be calling up the hundreds and hundreds of people that have been waiting in line for years now first, not posting "cars for immediate delivery with no waiting" ads on luxury car forums. Lamborghinis have to be some of the most polluting cars in the world. Seems anti Tesla. Why not offer them on green blogs if they are going to cut us out of the deal? Is the car about saving the world or just grabbing the most cash possible at whatever cost? Unfortunately they are looking more and more like a "car company" every day.

That's a lot of speculation. Really right now it's not even that clear who the heck that person who posted the original post is (anyone know for sure?). And really without getting in contact with her, it's really hard to know what cars she was referring to. I looked at the Lotus forums and a good part of it was speculation (and also other unrelated things).

FLXX: Have you looked into this post about Teslas being available now? It seems like it is right up your alley, and those of us here on the forum would like to know more about it. Let us know if you ask what the story is.

Maybe someone should contact her (maybe you, FLXX?) then we can solve this case rather than guessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe someone should contact her (maybe you, FLXX?) then we can solve this case rather than guessing.

Steps would be, make the 5k deposit, ask for an open 08 slot for 125k. These will be the last produced 08 cars, so delivery might be around Summer 09. If somebody backs out of a car that has already been produced, this car would be offered to current depositors (like me if I would hammer in the 125k). So the chance in getting a car earlier is very very small and I don´t want to wait till Summer 09. I´m sure with 600 cars produced there will be some pre-owned market.

But I have to say that owners seem to love their Roadsters. From the actually 100x delivered cars...I didn´t hear from any potential seller so far. Watch out and send me a PM if you see anything.

FLXX: So if you have the spare cash, (assuming Tesla still does the 100% refundable deposit thing) your best bet might be to put a deposit down on a car you would receive in the Summer, and pull your deposit if you can find a used one before that. If you can't, you will at least be in line to get the very next new one (Summer at the latest, and possibly much sooner if you get lucky!)

Bob Smith, et al: This would also mean that Tesla is not pushing the car numbers out from existing depositors as was previously speculated. If you have a production number, it will not be pushed out due to Tesla trying to make more money off of your queue number. The best that can happen is that you move up the list. The worst, you are not any worse off than before.

That's a lot of speculation. Really right now it's not even that clear who the heck that person who posted the original post is (anyone know for sure?). And really without getting in contact with her, it's really hard to know what cars she was referring to. I looked at the Lotus forums and a good part of it was speculation (and also other unrelated things).

It was posted by Sorinne from Tesla (aka AgentTripleXXX). I don't know if it's related but she's actually no longer employed by Tesla...

104760d1228865954-happy-birthday-agenttriplex-xxx.jpg