TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Responsive Dash(board) Web App

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Desai, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Desai

Desai Member

#1 Desai, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    I am in the process of creating a responsive dash(board) web app for Tesla owners. I won't be getting mine until Feb/Mar (P8460); however, I wanted to create this thread to get feedback from current and future Tesla owners of feature requests they would like to have on a single web app. I will start it off:

UPDATED with all the requests below (and on TM forums) as of 2013.01.07 @ 9:59 PM EST

1. Weather - Desai
    2. Charging station locator - Desai
    3. Insurance integration - Desai
    4. RSS feeds - Desai
    5. Custom widgets - Desai
    6. Service records - steveflaherty
    7. Personal 80A HPWC charging station locator - JayBoy
    8. Social network (personalization, backgrounds, colors, other Tesla owners, etc.) - tashbrook
    9. Novelty widgets - tashbrook
    10. Available (free) charging slots at a charging station - bjm
    11. Flight statuses (TripIt integration?) - paul_villasenor
    12. Sports ticket - JoshG
    13. Stock ticket - JoshG
    14. Twitter feed - JoshG
    15. Sticky notes - JoshG
    16. Clock - goaliemanshark
    17. Instruction manuals - DrTaras
    18. Day/night modes - Desai
    19. Wiki - Ben Goodwin
    20. Calendar sync - patrick.meier
    21. Synthetic engine rev sound - Steve Proteau
    Looking forward to the feedback!

I have created a signup/landing page for users who are interested: http://myteslaapp.com

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

That is a pretty cool idea... and something that is already being worked on. Weather, clock, and more in the browser

Then again, I do like the idea of competition so, please, proceed!

3. Desai

Desai Member

@Lyon: Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize someone beat me to the punch on this web app concept. Either way - like you said competition is always good.

4. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

in github or it didn't happen...

Does the browser in the car report location accurately for HTML5? (see HTML5 Demo: geolocation)
    I wonder if they've enabled the javascript engine to read car variables- state of charge comes to mind, but the actual list would be long.
    Lot of possibilities with just those 2 pieces of data.

5. Desai

Desai Member

@EchoDelta: this hasn't happened yet and it won't go into github (sorry). At the moment the Tesla's browser has the geolocate option disabled. I am hoping that it will be something that can quickly enable or exposed via their API/SDK (which I know is a long ways away).

6. timdorr

timdorr Model S P1698 / VIN 1657

Someone coded up a test page and the Model S browser does not prompt to share your location, nor does it share it without prompt. They apparently haven't coded up a UI for things like that yet. I'm thinking they're going to keep the web browser somewhat basic for now anyways, since that's a fairly complex bit of software and supporting everything WebKit can do requires a lot of work that is probably better spent elsewhere.

7. Desai

Desai Member

8. Pmacafee

Pmacafee Member

#8 Pmacafee, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    I think I just correctly guessed the fields for signing up, but you might lable them.
    Philip Macafee

9. Desai

Desai Member

@Pmacafee: They are inline labeled as Name and Email. Could you let me know what browser and version you are using?

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In IE9, it looks like this (at 50% zoom):
    MyTeslaApp.png

Using the dev toolbar, one finds that the first white box appears to be for Name and the second for Email.

11. Desai

Desai Member

@brianman: Thanks for the feedback. I have added backwards compatibility for placeholder (HTML5) tag for IE9 and less so the field labels render in the field. Could you confirm?

12. walla2

walla2 Member

13. Desai

Desai Member

Haha - Shameless indeed. J/K! I am looking forward to this undertaking of already 20 (and counting) features from user feedback. The bad part is I don't have my Model S until Feb/Mar.

@walla2: Do you already have yours?

14. walla2

walla2 Member

I got my Sig in December. Black with Black. Great minds think alike it would seem.

15. Desai

Desai Member

DEF jealous! Can't go wrong with black on black! Can't wait to get mine - waiting since 2006!

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Seems to work now.

17. Desai

Desai Member

Added a request for novelty widget to make synthetic engine rev sound based on a request from Steve Proteau (on TM)

18. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Very nice, thanks!

19. Desai

Desai Member

Thanks efusco! I am anxious to come up with a prototype for the private beta. Have my work cut out for with already 20+ features and counting!