Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Review by Bob Lefsetz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I respectfully disagree. I've been reading Lefsetz for over ten years, and this latest posting is a real piece of work. It's pure Lefsetz. Always starts with a flashback to his youth, ties in long-held regrets from the music industry -- if only he could've become the music industry mogul he's long dreamed of being -- twists in some wise-man lessons for up-and-coming musicians looking to become superstars, throws in the obligatory Steve Jobs reference, and wraps it up with some nonsense about Musk being successful but "you" are not. WTF?

Normally if I read something like that I would be angry and wonder, who does this bozo think he is. But then, this is Lefsetz and one must understand who he's writing to when he says "you." I've come to the conclusion that Lefsetz's letters are like diary entries, and the "you" he is always talking to is himself. He's writing to himself. This is therapy.

You will say, that's unfair, that's not right, but have you been following Lefsetz since the 1990s? Ever met him? Had lunch with him? Read everything he's had to say for years and years? Bob used to be a must-read, but unfortunately those days are gone.

I respectfully disagree. I've been reading Lefsetz for over ten years, and this latest posting is a real piece of work. It's pure Lefsetz. Always starts with a flashback to his youth, ties in long-held regrets from the music industry -- if only he could've become the music industry mogul he's long dreamed of being -- twists in some wise-man lessons for up-and-coming musicians looking to become superstars, throws in the obligatory Steve Jobs reference, and wraps it up with some nonsense about Musk being successful but "you" are not. WTF?

Normally if I read something like that I would be angry and wonder, who does this bozo think he is. But then, this is Lefsetz and one must understand who he's writing to when he says "you." I've come to the conclusion that Lefsetz's letters are like diary entries, and the "you" he is always talking to is himself. He's writing to himself. This is therapy.

You will say, that's unfair, that's not right, but have you been following Lefsetz since the 1990s? Ever met him? Had lunch with him? Read everything he's had to say for years and years? Bob used to be a must-read, but unfortunately those days are gone.

I'd have to agree - his posts are increasingly formulaic and long winded without saying much. I check in every so often, but I used to follow him religiously (and I'm a professional touring/studio musician).

Thanks, Brainstorms. I hear what you are saying, but i feel everyone is hit and miss. Of course, youve been reading him long enough to know from where you speak, and I am likewise totally respectful of your POV. I have been reading him for 10+ years, as well, but have a little different opinion, though. (Never had lunch with him, though, so I give u credit that u know him better than I!)

I guess for me, whether he failed at being a music mogul or not is no more or less relevant than if a movie critic failed as a screenwriter. I just take his opinions at face value and evaluate from there. Sometimes I learn stuff, sometimes he's insightful, sometimes I get a new perspective, and sometimes I'm bored. But overall, I find it worthwhile to check out.

I find I most respond to when he's being passionate about something (such as this piece re: Tesla). We all get jaded, so when something can still break through that cloud -as Tesla did for him- I find I can feel his excitement.

Of course, I didn't think most people would know him. I just posted the link just to share another positive endorsement outside of investors, car reviewers, and us fan boys and girls.

As for the "you" comment about not being successful, I see how that could be oft-putting (sp?). But since it seems that 90% of the time he's writing to the wannabe musicians (of which I'm not one) - and maybe more specifically the ones that are emailing him for favors -i assume thats the "you" here. And then, of course, we can apply that universally. But I don't take it as insulting (although I get that one could), I just view it as him trying to yell at you like a tough teacher would. Of course that's just one mans opinion.