Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want to let Tesla install a solar setup with Powerwalls for my house. Their prices are way below any other company. I've been reading for weeks, including on this website, until I'm cross-eyed. For those of you who went with Tesla, how did you ignore the plentiful negative reviews?

Here's just one example, there are others. Tesla / SolarCity solar reviews, complaints, address & solar panels cost

Thanks for all comments.

I ignore it by saving thousands of dollars.

Those sites are marketing for 3p installers, since Tesla doesn't use 3p advertisers they aren't showing up. Selection bias - people looking to leave a review elsewhere tend to be those with negative things to say.

Thanks for your response. What is "3p"?

What part of Texas are you in? Did your install go through well? Did you not have any problem communicating with Tesla before, during, and after the installation?

I really want to let Tesla install a solar setup with Powerwalls for my house. Their prices are way below any other company. I've been reading for weeks, including on this website, until I'm cross-eyed. For those of you who went with Tesla, how did you ignore the plentiful negative reviews?

Here's just one example, there are others. Tesla / SolarCity solar reviews, complaints, address & solar panels cost

Thanks for all comments.

SolarReviews.com isn't a review website, it's a lead generation website (an analysis)

Also, according to you in another thread, Tesla doesnt service your area at all, so you dont need to worry about considering them:

I'm totally new at all of this, just trying to learn. I have no EV's and no solar and no powerwalls. Tesla does not service my area, I'm attempting to find someone reliable to install some solar and a couple of PW's for emergency backup, since I lose power often. I'd like to get this done this year to take advantage of the 26% tax credit.

I've found this thread interesting and informative. From what I've learned, I would agree that there's no way that one or two PW's would suffice to charge an EV at any high rate and still leave enough power for the house. However, I would be very interested if a Tesla EV could possibly be used as a backup energy source to power the house. Wouldn't a Tesla EV be equivalent to several PW's? When it was depleted, make a trip to a Supercharger and you're ready to go again? Is this even possible, or practical? Does the hardware exists to do this?

Sorry if this is a sidetrack, but I saw the OP say that he didn't include a charging port to be supported by the PW and thought it related.

SolarReviews.com isn't a review website, it's a lead generation website (an analysis)

Also, according to you in another thread, Tesla doesnt service your area at all, so you dont need to worry about considering them:

No, they don't service my area at this time. I expect that they might in the near future, though. The way they're growing all aspects of their brand, it wouldn't surprise me if they contacted me before the end of the year. i'm not in a particular hurry, if i can save $20K+ by waiting.

Thanks very much for that link. Some really good posts on there. The OP also researched Yelp later and found similar results, if I'm interpreting his posts correctly.

I totally understand how reviews can be stacked and manipulated. I'm not emotionally attached to SolarReviews. Please direct me to an unbiased review website.

I consider this TMC website as more objective and fair minded than most. There are many brilliant people here, some of who are in the solar industry, and I've learned much in the short time I've been a member. To be fair, I've read a good number of posts here about how difficult it was to reach and communicate with Tesla. I guess I created this thread to see how many people considered that difficulty as an important factor in their decision.

Thanks again for your response.

Unfortunately I am unable to direct you to an unbiased review site, as I dont believe such a thing exists. Yes, tesla can be more difficult to communicate with, especially if you expect hand holding or anything customized. The closer you are to having something in their "cookie cutter" approach, the easier it is to deal with them.

Conversely, the more "custom" you want it, the harder it will be to deal with tesla. You also need to be willing to do your own research and figure out what you want, and if what they offer fits with what you want. If it does, you can save a lot of money. If it doesnt, you can either try to force tesla to do what you want, or go with a more full service (and more expensive) third party installer.

A competent third party will provide all the communication you want, and all the handholding, and charge accordingly.

Thats pretty much the decision you make. Either save money (sometimes a LOT of money) and manage your process yourself (with some help from tesla) or, spend more, and get complete full service.

Thats it, really. Its just like any other home project.

• Informative
Reactions: heysteveh
Biased, curated, or fake reviews are one problem (and evidently very difficult to prove. I intend to revisit that SolarReview analysis in a bit to see if any of the reviews I harvested earlier have gone missing since then)...

But I think a lot of bad reviews are written by folks that need a lot more hand-holding as a customer than you or I do. Local installers are able to meet their needs, but for the vast majority of people Tesla's customer service is sufficient.

Consider the following post for help on Reddit: Selling a house with Tesla Panela Problems : teslamotors

OP: "I've tried everything! Tesla won't get back to me! What options do I have? Do I just stop paying??"
Top comment: "Have you tried calling them?"
OP: "Oh. No. Just called them and they solved my problem in an hour."

Now if that guy hadn't gone on Reddit, I guarantee you he would have left a one star review someone complaining about their horrible customer service.

Unfortunately I am unable to direct you to an unbiased review site, as I dont believe such a thing exists. Yes, tesla can be more difficult to communicate with, especially if you expect hand holding or anything customized. The closer you are to having something in their "cookie cutter" approach, the easier it is to deal with them.

Conversely, the more "custom" you want it, the harder it will be to deal with tesla. You also need to be willing to do your own research and figure out what you want, and if what they offer fits with what you want. If it does, you can save a lot of money. If it doesnt, you can either try to force tesla to do what you want, or go with a more full service (and more expensive) third party installer.

A competent third party will provide all the communication you want, and all the handholding, and charge accordingly.

Thats pretty much the decision you make. Either save money (sometimes a LOT of money) and manage your process yourself (with some help from tesla) or, spend more, and get complete full service.

I'm very much into the cookie cutter packages they offer, don't expect to do any customizing. Particularly don't need "handholding", just get out here and get it done. Since you used the term twice, I can only assume that you intended it in a denigrating manner. However, since their website doesn't cover much, I think it's only natural for people to have questions about the Tesla method. Even very solar-knowledgeable customers would have questions about the whole process.

I don't think that attractive pricing and basic communications have to be mutually exclusive.

For some reason, you seem to feel the need to be defensive about Tesla. For that reason, I'll drop the subject and try to glean the information elsewhere. Thanks for taking time to respond.

I'm very much into the cookie cutter packages they offer, don't expect to do any customizing. Particularly don't need "handholding", just get out here and get it done. Since you used the term twice, I can only assume that you intended it in a denigrating manner. However, since their website doesn't cover much, I think it's only natural for people to have questions about the Tesla method. Even very solar-knowledgeable customers would have questions about the whole process.

I don't think that attractive pricing and basic communications have to be mutually exclusive.

For some reason, you seem to feel the need to be defensive about Tesla. For that reason, I'll drop the subject and try to glean the information elsewhere. Thanks for taking time to respond.

Its very hard to read intent online, but no, I didnt mean it in a denigrating manner. I ment it how I said it. If you have a standard install, tesla works very well. I am not defending tesla at all, not sure where you got that.. in fact, the fact that I said "cookie cutter" twice would be seen by most as a slap AGAINST tesla, since I am basically saying "they handle basic installs well, if you want something more than that look elsewhere".

What "basic communication" is to you on your project depends on the individual. When / if they service your area, you can put down the $100 refundable deposit and find out if they work for you.

If you feel some defensiveness, its around that "solarreviews" website that a few people post here in this section and say "I read all these bad reviews, whats up with that? discuss"

(and re reading my previous post, It appears to me I said "cookie cutter" once and "custom" once... so )

If you feel some defensiveness, its around that "solarreviews" website that a few people post here in this section and say "I read all these bad reviews, whats up with that? discuss"

In my personal case, I keep seeing folks in reviews saying they can never reach Tesla. And I've never not been able to reach them; I think the longest I've ever been on hold was 15 minutes. It's that basic disconnect between review and reality that makes me question the authenticity.

It's possible that the bad reviews are authentic and Tesla has recently hired more staff to answer their phone lines, but that's good, right? Customers from here on out will have a much better experience, and the bad customer service reviews from before are no longer as relevant.

And the recent up-tick in positive reviews on Yelp seems to support this possibility. The fact that there isn't an equivalent up-tick in SolarReviews is the odd part.

In my personal case, I keep seeing folks in reviews saying they can never reach Tesla. And I've never not been able to reach them; I think the longest I've ever been on hold was 15 minutes. It's that basic disconnect between review and reality that makes me question the authenticity.

It's possible that the bad reviews are authentic and Tesla has recently hired more staff to answer their phone lines, but that's good, right? Customers from here on out will have a much better experience, and the bad customer service reviews from before are no longer as relevant.

And the recent up-tick in positive reviews on Yelp seems to support this possibility. The fact that there isn't an equivalent up-tick in SolarReviews is the odd part.

I think the biggest challenge is so much of all of this is not un-biased samples and is anecdotal. To counter your experience, for example, I have had two occasions where I tried to call the Tesla-supplied number for solar roof support, only to have nobody answer, eventually be transferred automatically to solar roof sales, and then hung up on because nobody was available. Overall, I would say the support has been better than some of the sites would suggest, but I felt it trended down over time. (In both cases, the individual I was corresponding with over email indicated he was out of the office and to use that number for support. When he was in, he was generally pretty good at responding, though sometimes when the answer wasn't simple, it seemed nothing happened until I pushed a few times.)

Overall, I am still a very happy customer, but I would consider their customer service (seemingly overwhelmed at times) and project management (seemingly lacking) to be their biggest weaknesses. Just about everybody I came into contact with at Tesla seemed to be really knowledgeable in their area of responsibility - but it was sometimes a challenge figuring out the right person to address the particular issue.

I saw all the reviews as well, but still decided to go with Tesla. The biggest issue seemed to be excessive times to do warranty repairs. However, all other installers were $6K+, so I am willing to put up with some potential downtime. It would take a lot of downtime to equate to $6K. Also, I used to be an electrician, so I potentially could address some issues myself (I know there would be a warranty issue if I do).

The second issue seems to be sloppy installs. With my electrical background, bad conduit runs drive me crazy. Thankfully, I work from home so I can discuss with the installers what their plan is. If it ends up looking like crap, I'll rerun it myself.

I also talked to my roofer and he offered to do a free inspection after Tesla completes their work to ensure nothing wonky has been done. He has a 20 year warranty on the new roof, so he wants to make sure he isn't having to deal with any issues someone else creates.

Last edited:
Reactions: willow_hiller

The lack of unbiased review sites is an issue. The whole solar industry has had a lot of people in it just for the money. I hate to use the words 'snake oil salesperson', but it sometimes feels this way. From 'review' sites that are paid commissions to direct you to the 'best choice', to people from competing companies posting 'reviews' of competitors. Everyone is trying to put their hands on your credit card. So, I really appreciate the people on this site giving you their honest opinions, positive or negative.

The lack of unbiased review sites is an issue. The whole solar industry has had a lot of people in it just for the money. I hate to use the words 'snake oil salesperson', but it sometimes feels this way. From 'review' sites that are paid commissions to direct you to the 'best choice', to people from competing companies posting 'reviews' of competitors. Everyone is trying to put their hands on your credit card. So, I really appreciate the people on this site giving you their honest opinions, positive or negative.

Sounds like there's a need in the market. I think ideally the perfect review website would:

1. Be supported by donations only
2. Verify authenticity of users (require linking of a Google account? require a photograph of the finished solar install [or some other verifiable proof of a started/cancelled process]? require minimum number of words per review? restrict reviews coming from a single IP address?)

Any other thoughts on how to fix this problem? I'm tempted to make this a weekend project and see where it goes.

Sounds like there's a need in the market. I think ideally the perfect review website would:

1. Be supported by donations only
2. Verify authenticity of users (require linking of a Google account? require a photograph of the finished solar install [or some other verifiable proof of a started/cancelled process]? require minimum number of words per review? restrict reviews coming from a single IP address?)

Any other thoughts on how to fix this problem? I'm tempted to make this a weekend project and see where it goes.

I just use my own "BS meter" when reading reviews, for anything I am looking for reviews on. I am not sure how you could fix it for any sort of review site, because if you make the requirements to post a review too onerous (requiring google account, requiring photos, requiring an invoice of a completed project, requiring a minimum number of words" many people would just say "I dont have time for this" and only the really "passionate" people would jump through all those hoops to post a review.

Then, what you end up with, is your site having skewed the data unintentionally... only people who feel very strongly would go through the hassle, and, in general, when people feel "very strongly" and want to "tell people online" its not because "everything went great!"

The other people who would jump through the hoops to post a review are those with a financial stake to do so, so you would be back where you started from, with only upset people and people trying to game the system posting reviews to such a site.
(the above is obviously all just my personal opinion)

For reviews on amazon, there is an app called "fakespot" that I believe has some machine learning etc to try to detect fake reviews but I am not sure exactly how they go about it.

So, like I said, for me, I just gather my own information, and understand that for some things, most reviews I will find will likely be negative because of the nature of the product. Ever tried to look for reviews on something like a washing machine for example? In general, people who are passionate enough to go post somewhere about a washing machine are doing so because they are unhappy with the one they bought, or the one they have. Or, the manufacturer is offering some bonus for submitting a review so you get "its great, I love it, I have had it 3 days and it washes awesome!" Every once in a while you get someone who actually put some time into it and those are the ones I pay attention to the most. Same deal here.

In the case of Tesla specifically, I have enough personal experience with them that for me, I know basically where they are. They are driving costs down by eliminating as much human 1:1 customer service they can, and basically going after what would be termed "low hanging fruit". The market is big enough that Tesla feels they can serve the niche of people who "just want solar" and have what would be "fairly simple" to implement, for less than other companies.

They try to fit most things into the defined buckets they have (not much or any choice on solar panel brand, etc). Most people at tesla try to help you, but sometimes things that should not take that long take forever... (like the people who have posted it took 2-3 months for tesla to fix a non working system).

Still, There is no malice with tesla, no one is actively trying to defraud anyone. If one can be patient, and work through their communication struggles sometimes, and get an understanding of what they would like (or conversely just be happy with what tesla offers for the most part), one can save a LOT of money currently. The installers do a good job from most reports that I see, and they (in general) really seem to care. Of course, humans being humans, there are exceptions, but in general, it seems to me that issues with tesla stem from people there being overworked, and having too much on their plate, vs Out and out Malice.

I can handle that, but would be lying if I said I dont put value on great customer service. On a project worth 10s of thousands of dollars though, how much is that worth? That depends on the individual.

To answer the OPs question specifically "how do I ignore those reviews on solarreviews.com" for me its because that site had zero credibility even before @willow_hiller did his analysis. What I "felt" looking at it, was what @willow_hiller showed with data. In general however, tesla has earned some of its scorn due to lack of communication, but as I said, I firmly believe its not malice, but overwork, and the occasional (very human) lazy person.

As for me, it took a bit of education to realize that adding solar and powewalls is much, much, closer to addiing a bathroom to your house then it is to buying a car.

With the added history of other solar companies selling systms as if they were cars. Having remodeled a house or three, I have never had, nor could I have afforded, hiring a designer that did all the work, and made all th design decisions and cost decision while I was away on a six month sabbatical or something. So I had, to a greater or lesser degree, learn how to be my own general contractor.

My solar project is exactly the same as every other significant house remodel. In a way, its wose than a bathroom because in a bathroom at the end of the day all toilets and sinks function the same way. You may need to understand plumbing to understand the cost and design of your bathroom, but there is no comparison to the amount of basic knowledge you need to intelligently make a decision on a solar and backup system.

With solar panels or a solar roof, if you don't understand the effects of roof pitch, shading, direction and where you live, you don't understand what you are buying. Its as if a toilet would not flush if you put it in one corner of the bathroom.

The good news is that its a smart financial move regardless. The bad news is in order to maximize the utility of whatever system you decide to get, you need to understand quite a bit of electronics.

I would not, frankly, trust any contractor, or any solar installer, who basically told me "don't worry about it, we'll take care of that."

Yet, contractors have reviews, But I don't know that solar is popular enough to generate enough info. These boads, although focused on Tesla, far exceed most review sites.

I do not have Tesla panels but do have 5 Powerwalls. My experience is that Tesla responds to calls within a few minutes, they monitor the Powerwalls performance, and their app is very good. I previously had batteries from a competing manufacturer, and they have since gone out of business, so from the standpoint of who is going to be around to service your equipment, I think it's safe to say that Tesla has the advantage.

Also, because of some unique properties of my roof and HOA, I went with a third party installer. I am very happy with them, but they are slow to respond when issues develop, so I think that's kind of the nature of the industry. It's not like calling your AC repair company and they show up the next day. There's just not enough density (yet) to have that kind of performance. My solar company is about 80 miles away. There are other small solar companies that are closer, but none that were willing to work with my unique requirements. It's an industry that is still in its infancy, and every installation is unique enough that it's very hard to develop a cooky cutter approach.

• Helpful
I have been going back and forth with Tesla for a few months, as mine is not a cookie cutter situation. I don’t mind that so much, as I know I am saving a lot of money, and I don’t need the system installed immediately. That said, communication was pretty poor, as each time I called I spoke with someone new, and had to go through a lot of explaining to get the rep up to speed. After a few rounds of this, my enthusiasm was starting to wane. So I was relieved to get an email yesterday from a rep, letting me know that she would be the sole point of contact moving forward. I replied, shared a cou-Le of concerns, and was pleased to get a response today, addressing my concerns in a meaningful way. I hope this means that Tesla has changed their process so that all new customers will have a dedicated rep to guide them through the process. Looking forward to getting my install under way.