Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Road Trip - Save the date - November 5, 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
The Tesla Road Trip crew, in cooperation with Johnny Wen, are almost done finalizing plans for a fall event and we wanted to get a "Save the date" notice out ASAP so everyone car mark their calendars!

Saturday, November 5th, 2016 (with an option for breakfast, Sunday November 6th.)

We will start the day at Ducard Vineyards in Etlan, VA, which is ~50 miles south of the Strasburg Supercharger. Upon arrival we will celebrate with a glass of wine, and then split up into smaller groups for a ~30 minute tour of the vineyard. We will then have lunch, with additional wine tastings available. This will be a great time to relax and be social with our extended Tesla family.

Then we'll split up into two groups - one group will leave a bit earlier, and take a slower, but amazing drive via skyline drive through the Shenandoah National Park back north. Early November is a fantastic time to make this drive with the leaves changing colors. The second group will stay a bit longer at the vineyard, and then head north via a faster route to...

The Family Drive-In Thetre in Stephens City, VA, where we have arranged to have early access before the public so that we can park together and snag the best spots! This will give us additional time to socialize, grab food (and popcorn!) before we settle in to watch Doctor Strange (PG-13) on it's opening weekend. If you haven't taken your Tesla to a drive-in theater before, you're in for a treat! You can leave your car on - no emissions or loud noise!

After the movie, we'll say farewell to some as they head back home. For those that came from afar, there are a number of hotels nearby. In the morning, we'll meet up at Denny's at the Strasburg supercharger for breakfast before saying our goodbyes.

Details and a web page for sign-ups will be coming shortly. Everyone is welcome to come to any of the individial events or the whole shabang. All we ask is that you register and keep us up to date on your plans so we can provide the vineyard and the drive-in with accurate headcount estimates for planning purposes. We have negotiated some discounts, but everything will be pay-as-you-go.

It should be a fanatic time! Spread the word :)

Thanks,
Andrew, Johnny, and the Tesla Road Trip crew

Last edited:
This sounds like a great event. I added it to the calendar but then looked up how far it was from me in Philly, looks like a good drive, likely not doable in a day without a hotel for friday or saturday night. I'll keep an eye on it!

Good question, and I will find out. I do know Doctor Strange is playing on the larger screen. Typically the more family oritented movies are on the smaller screen, and there will be an opportunity for people to move to that screen if they wish.

For a fee... Policy #12. No switching screens- this is against the movie contracts. Should you want to see a movie on the other screen- you are certainly able to pay for it and then move to the other screen

They've got a 2 screen set-up. Current shows are:
Screen 1: Storks followed by Sully
Screen 2: Magnificent Seven followed by Don't Breathe
I guess it depends on what they're going to pair it with.

Yeah I don't know how they decide to pair up the movies because the one here is always unpredictable. They also show 3 movies per screen, but I can never store up enough energy to make it through the 3rd one! Lol.

For a fee... Policy #12. No switching screens- this is against the movie contracts. Should you want to see a movie on the other screen- you are certainly able to pay for it and then move to the other screen

My personal favorite is policy #9 :eek:
9. No profanity will be tolerated, customers that become obnoxious are subject to explosion.

Reactions: jonman
any updates with movie times and order of movies being shown? their website hasn't really changed for upcoming movies.

also, is it possible to black out lights for the drive-in? when i was a cop we had "black out" mode that killed all exterior/interior lights. i haven't quite figured out how to do this with the MX.

i didn't see this as a requirement in their rules but at a drive-in near me it's required to kill all DRL before you can even enter the grounds or must tape them up or put cardboard over them.