Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Road Trip - Save the date - November 5, 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening all!

I know it's taken a while to get everything together, but our updated events page has all the details on the @TeslaRoadTrip Fall Event along with a link to our registration form!

If you plan on attending (or even pretty sure) please take the time to get all the details and register!

@TeslaRoadTrip Fall Vineyard & Drive-in Event!

Thanks all and we're all looking forward to seeing you at this great event!
Aaron

Is there a current list of attendees? I'm crazy enough to maybe just do this... 5.5 hour drive to do on Friday, my birthday coincidentally.

You should come! We can't post the list as that would be a violation of privacy, but evertyone should feel free to reply here to announce their intent if they so choose.

There is also a facebook "event" that you can use to indicate your plan to attend.

Can someone post the detailed path of the shanandoah trip? I'd like to do some energy planning, but it of course depends on exactly what the route is. I assume we're driving along skyline drive, but where do we pick it up and leave it? I assume we're not planning on driving all 105 miles of it.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I believe those that want to drive Skyline Drive will go north from Ducard Vineyards to Sperryville then head west on 211 to join Skyline Drive and then head north to Front Royal and then the Drive-in. Here is a google map of the route - 68.6 miles (1 hr 51 min) from Ducard to the Drive-in. That gives some people a little time to do a quick supercharge in Strasburg on their way to the Drive-in if they like...

See the attachment below....

Can someone post the detailed path of the shanandoah trip? I'd like to do some energy planning, but it of course depends on exactly what the route is. I assume we're driving along skyline drive, but where do we pick it up and leave it? I assume we're not planning on driving all 105 miles of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 8.45.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 8.45.08 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Here is a public map from the Woodbridge Supercharger at Potomac Mills Mall through day 1 to start of Day 2. Click on the pins to interact with each data point.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11boes4tMEhapOHSpu0cqD8nWtfs&usp=sharing

I plan to get breakfast and "fill up" at the Woodbridge supercharger Saturday morning if anyone wants to join us there and travel together to Ducard. I'll be pretty low on juice and will need to do a pretty significant charge to 100% at Woodbridge.

We are a tentative.....will spend Saturday night somewhere, maybe south around the Staunton SC? The theater is 200 miles from home, will be topping off around Fredericksburg on the way up most likely. Anyone from SE Virginia/Williamsburg/Richmond want to rally up together?

We will start the day at Ducard Vineyards in Etlan, VA, which is ~50 miles south of the Strasburg Supercharger. Upon arrival we will celebrate with a glass of wine, and then split up into smaller groups for a ~30 minute tour of the vineyard. We will then have lunch, with additional wine tastings available. This will be a great time to relax and be social with our extended Tesla family.

Then we'll split up into two groups - one group will leave a bit earlier, and take a slower, but amazing drive via skyline drive through the Shenandoah National Park back north. Early November is a fantastic time to make this drive with the leaves changing colors. The second group will stay a bit longer at the vineyard, and then head north via a faster route to...

Wait a minute...do I read this correctly? TMC is doing a group drive road trip that starts out by drinking alcoholic beverages, and then driving??? The car club drives I have participated in reserve the drinking for after the drive, for good reason. Or am I missing something here?

So, a few things:

1. Tesla Road Trip (TRT) is not Tesla Motors Club (TMC). We're certainly quite friendly with one another, but we're too different orgs.
2. We're having lunch at a vineyard. We're not going bar hopping. We're all adults, and I expect that everyone who is driving has the ability to monitor their own consumption, or bring a designated driver. TRT is not providing or selling alchol.

Reactions: MMC- and CatB
I was planning to bring my 10 year old. Is that not OK for lunch at the vineyard?
There was some discussion earlier of "family friendly" movies so I assumed kids would be welcome. Are kids welcome?

Pretty sure the adults he was referring to were the same ones that the post above him showed concern about driving after drinking. The phrase "we're all adults" being used in the colloquial fashion to imply that those in question possess the critical thinking skills and temperance to not decide to get obliterated on tasty tasty wine just prior to driving the twisties in formation with other pricey cars.

DuCard is family friendly :)

I for one am a designated driver. <Sarcasm>Regardless, last I heard it is not illegal to have a glass of wine and drive. </Sarcasm>

There is a legal threshold that constitutes drunk driving. I expect all of my fellow travelers to stay below it if they are driving. As the previous poster said, they are adults and are responsible for their own actions.

• Informative
Reactions: Half Dollar Bill
Just a note for first-timers planning to go to Skyline Drive.
It's a National Park so there is a $20/car admission fee.
If you have a 4th grader, you can download a free pass at:
Every Kid in a Park | Main
The most recent fall color report:
Shenandoah's Fall Color - Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Fingers crossed for good weather next weekend and don't forget that Sunday morning is daylight savings time so you get an extra hour of sleep Saturday night :)
Don't forget your smores fixins for the drive-in, if you're so inclined.