Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Road Trip to "Big Daddy" Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala, Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the pioneers of drag racing is a guy by the name of "Big Daddy" Don Garlits (for those who want more info go to Don Garlits Ocala, FL Museum/Swamp Rat AA/FD). He has a fantastic auto museum in Ocala Florida, and Tesla just opened up a supercharger nearby! And...oh yeah....Don is the driver of an electric dragster trying to reach the 200 mph speed in a 1/4 mile (Don Garlits Ocala, FL Museum/Swamp Rat AA/FD)!!

I am thinking a trip down there in January or February or March will shake off the winter blues and also give some of us a chance to take a real long distance trip in our Teslas! I am interested in getting a group of folks to go to the museum and get a private tour by the LEGEND himself. His availability for private tours ($400 for a group of up to 10 people...$40 a person if we have 10 people), but he only does tours on a weekday - the weekends are for family & friends. The private tours take you into areas the general public cannot see, and Don will "light up" one of the cars for us (hopefully one of his "old" Top Fuel nitromethane powered cars!!)!!

Plenty of superchargers on I-95 to get us there and back...from Fairfax VA (where I live) I calculate 14.5 hours with 20 minute (average...some more and some less) stops at Glen Allen VA, Rocky Mount NC, Lumberton NC, Sante SC, and Savannah GA. There are plenty of hotels in and near Ocala, so that should not be an issue.

So with all of the above in mind, let's get the conversation started! Jim "JT" Thompson

Last edited: