Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadside and Tire availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I unfortunately got a flat tire late this past Saturday evening. I have the Tesla tire repair kit and was going to use that, but my luck as it is, the kit was defective on its very first use.

So I called Roadside, and the wheel loaner service had just closed 10 minutes prior, so they said it needed towed to the nearest service center. That was Saturday, and it's now Wednesday night and still no car. They said they tried for 3 days to get me a tire, and ultimately told me I should just find one myself and have it shipped to them.

4 nights without the car because of a simple flat is pretty crazy. Just wanted to vent a bit, and offer a warning to anyone in the Bay Area with a PUP Model Y that Tesla cannot get you a new rear tire. So maybe baby them.

• Helpful
Reactions: MY-user
I unfortunately got a flat tire late this past Saturday evening. I have the Tesla tire repair kit and was going to use that, but my luck as it is, the kit was defective on its very first use.

So I called Roadside, and the wheel loaner service had just closed 10 minutes prior, so they said it needed towed to the nearest service center. That was Saturday, and it's now Wednesday night and still no car. They said they tried for 3 days to get me a tire, and ultimately told me I should just find one myself and have it shipped to them.

4 nights without the car because of a simple flat is pretty crazy. Just wanted to vent a bit, and offer a warning to anyone in the Bay Area with a PUP Model Y that Tesla cannot get you a new rear tire. So maybe baby them.
Where is the puncture on the tire? If it's patchable find an old school shop not a major brand retailer and they can plug it with a patch and re-glue the foam. Search here many threads on it, for ex.

Also, you don't need or actually want the OEM tire, it's not that great. Alternatively, you could just get a set of new tires in a wider size and have those installed.

It's in the sidewall, so needs a new tire. The tires are supposedly between 8/32 and 9/32 in depth, and they're 9/32 brand new, so one new tire seems to make a fair bit more sense than 4 new ones.
You don't get 4 new tires. Since the tire setup is staggered you only need to match the fronts or rears, not both. I mean ideally you'd have all four matching brand/models but you can definitely change just the fronts or rears.

Is the puncture in the front or rear btw? If it is on the front, an ideal option in my mind is to get two 295/35/21 tires and put those on the rear and move the rears to the front. This would give you a lot more tire for impacts, comfort, grip etc.

I just checked Tesla app and couldn't find it. Are you referring to a third party kit?
It's not the part you quoted, but are you referring to the tire repair kit? No, it's a Tesla thing. Or was, it sounds like supply chain issues have hit it: Tesla discontinues Tire Repair Kit due to supply shortage, new updated version coming in "several months"
You don't get 4 new tires. Since the tire setup is staggered you only need to match the fronts or rears, not both. I mean ideally you'd have all four matching brand/models but you can definitely change just the fronts or rears.

Is the puncture in the front or rear btw? If it is on the front, an ideal option in my mind is to get two 295/35/21 tires and put those on the rear and move the rears to the front. This would give you a lot more tire for impacts, comfort, grip etc.

Ah, I see what you're saying. No, it's in the rear.

I'm not super impressed with the wheel/tire combo overall. I think once these are worn down a bit I might switch to the Model 3's Uberturbines (I really like this wheel style) with higher-profile tires. The ride on the 21"s is punishing.

Reactions: MY-user
It's not the part you quoted, but are you referring to the tire repair kit? No, it's a Tesla thing. Or was, it sounds like supply chain issues have hit it: Tesla discontinues Tire Repair Kit due to supply shortage, new updated version coming in "several months"

Ah, I see what you're saying. No, it's in the rear.

I'm not super impressed with the wheel/tire combo overall. I think once these are worn down a bit I might switch to the Model 3's Uberturbines (I really like this wheel style) with higher-profile tires. The ride on the 21"s is punishing.
Thank you for the info! Will watch for the tire repair kit on Tesla website.

Given all the uncertainty of EVERYTHING today and the fact we have 3 to 4 long road trips planned for this year, I plan on buying a Modern Spare for < $500 - 2020-2022 Tesla Model Y Spare Tire Kit Options

I will stow it behind the drivers seat. While I have a high tech plug and compressor kit, AAA and Tesla’s Road Side Assistance we are 70 years old and want every option available when traveling.