Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadside Assistance in Australia: limitations?

I asked the following of Tesla but I haven't had a reply:

"We are about to embark on our first long trip since lock down and will be touring in Victoria up to 300km from Tesla service centres.
The Roadside Assistance page states:

"Breakdowns
A warrantable breakdown of the car that renders it un-drivable.
Coverage: Transportation services to the nearest Service Center are provided."

"Flat Tire
Damage to the wheel or tire that causes flat or unsafe driving conditions.
Coverage: Flat tire services are provided for up to 80 km."

Is there any km limit to nearest Service Centre for a breakdown?

What is meant by “are provided up to 80km" in flat tyre paragraph? Is that how far a tow is free?

In the past, for new cars we have relied on the manufacturer's roadside assistance in the warranty period, where their policy is more explicitly defined, for example VW Australia, and covers our requirements.

Is the Tesla plan adequate in Australia?

raynewman

Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I asked the following of Tesla but I haven't had a reply:

"We are about to embark on our first long trip since lock down and will be touring in Victoria up to 300km from Tesla service centres.
The Roadside Assistance page states:

"Breakdowns
A warrantable breakdown of the car that renders it un-drivable.
Coverage: Transportation services to the nearest Service Center are provided."

"Flat Tire

Is there any km limit to nearest Service Centre for a breakdown?

What is meant by “are provided up to 80km" in flat tyre paragraph? Is that how far a tow is free?

In the past, for new cars we have relied on the manufacturer's roadside assistance in the warranty period, where their policy is more explicitly defined, for example VW Australia, and covers our requirements.

Is the Tesla plan adequate in Australia?
I've never needed roadside assist or tyre exchange.
Had the S for nearly 7 years and 137k km; had the 3 for over a year and 23k km.
Had plenty of slow leaks (6 in one tyre once) but haven't had a flat tyre in over 20 years.

Reactions: AussieOwner

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
"Flat Tire

I don’t know, but my guess is this means Tesla will provide a flat tyre service up to 80km from the nearest Service Centre. You’d still need to pay for it, they don’t say it’s free or included. Further than 80km, I suspect you’re on your own, or you need to use other roadside assistance.

Had plenty of slow leaks (6 in one tyre once) but haven't had a flat tyre in over 20 years.

I got a serious puncture in my Model 3 only 3 weeks ago, in suburban Sydney 🤷‍♂️:

Outside of the city think about NRMA or equivalent, especially if you or other family members would not be able to deal with the situation on their own.
When we go off into the wild we have a full size spare plus the kit to change a wheel. Uses a bit of space but there is room in the X. It means you can be back on the road relatively quickly and not be sitting there on the roadside. With sidewall damage tyre goo or plugs aren't much use.

I have a small puncture repair kit in my M3, It sits in that little nook in the boot behind the charging point. So far I have only used repair kits twice on my motorcycle and never on a car. I have done 35k on my M3, so the tires are still original and have been very good.
The car did develop a squeaky left upper control arm 6 weeks ago. I got scheduled for service and they diagnosed the issue and said they ordered the part. So far they have been postponing replacing it a week at a time for a month now as the part has not arrived. So having a SC near does not guarantee they can get the parts needed :(

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC