Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadside Assistance: what do they NOT cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla today and asked them to send me a copy of their Warranty for the Model S. Although Roadside assistance is part of their warranty, they show it as part of their service plans on their web site:

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

Regardless, this is a quote from Tesla's Model S New Vehicle Limited Warranty that was sent to me today:
=========
Roadside assistance (North America)
Tesla provides complimentary roadside assistance emergency services, including towing services
to the nearest Tesla Service Center or your home provided they are within 50 miles (80 km) of your
vehicle, for 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first, for vehicles covered by
this New Vehicle Limited Warranty at the time of the occurrence, subject to the exclusions and
limitations described in your Roadside Assistance documentation. You are responsible for any
roadside assistance emergency services for vehicles or repairs not covered by this New Vehicle
Limited Warranty, which will have a minimum charge of US$300 or CAD$300, as applicable
depending upon the location of the vehicle, and for any charges for transportation beyond the first
50 miles (80 km). Roadside assistance is not provided under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty but
is a service intended to minimize inconvenience when your Tesla vehicle is inoperable. Please refer
to your Roadside Assistance documentation for details.
=========

Does this mean that:

1) If the assistance was required for something other than a warranty item (like flat tire or you drained your battery), that you have to pay $300?
2) If your home and/or a Tesla service center is more than 50 miles from where you are, you have to pay some mystery amount to have them come get you, no matter what the reason for the breakdown?

-or- with #1, does it mean that its $300 if you called them, but your car was no longer under warranty? #2 is still an issue though.

With my current car, the roadside assistance is supposed to be: 1) you break down for any reason, 2) you press the 'help, come get me' button 2) they come get you wherever you are, 3) they take you to the nearest service center. If that service center is 400 miles from where I am and that happens to be in the middle of a swamp -- they gotta figure it out, not me.

Do I need to get AAA? When I read "24 hour roadside assistance" on their web site, I would have never though so. But after reading this interesting bit of information, I'm not so sure.

Bottom line, if there is something wrong with the car you are good. They (lawyers) have to put something in there to cover them from some serious tow bill. Example, your kid drives the car, can't figure it out at the mall. Calls Tesla service, tells them somethings wrong, they send a wrecker, tow it to SC, then come to find out your kid could figure out how to turn it on. Nothing wrong with the car--not Tesla's problem. However, are they going to charge you the first time--probably not. Should they in this circumstance--I vote yes.

Get AAA if you want--doesn't cost much. I have had it forever, even though every car I've purchased comes with roadside (mostly use it for discounts at hotels).

Question is--DID YOU PLACE AN ORDER YET??? Sounds like a lot of excuses, let's get to ordering. Didn't the test drive blow you away last Friday?

Question is--DID YOU PLACE AN ORDER YET??? Sounds like a lot of excuses, let's get to ordering. Didn't the test drive blow you away last Friday?

Oh man...the test drive that they took me out on on Friday that was their route was great. They didn't give me an hour like you though :( . That would have been really helpful.

I had another drive yesterday and I took it out on my own turf, backtracking, then taking the route that I had just taken to the Domain with my own car. Stop lights, stop signs, 70mph turnaround under the highway (always fun!), and parking. I was paying close attention to "how would I use this car every day" instead of "man does this car go fast!".

3 of the issues during that drive were: no stop/hold, no guide lines, and no top-view camera. The stop/hold issue was evident at every single stop stop stop stop. It was driving me crazy! They had creep turned on for my first drive and you can't change that after the car has been started; I thought the movement on that drive was the creep. Not so.

After some forum posts today, I found that the stop/hold and guide lines could be remedied with software updates (if they so chose). There are ways to accommodate the top-view. Since both mirrors tilt instead of just one, perhaps not as bad. So I feel better about those issues.

The last two issues are: fishtailing and body roll. My first drive was in the standard suspension. I just don't recall the first one having the body roll issue. Was I mesmerized by the 17" touchscreen and I didn't notice it?? I can't remember if the one that I drove this time was the same car or not. They have 3 white cars. I'm going to have to call my co-pilot and see if she remembers which car I drove. If she can't remember, I'm going to have to do it again. Unlike a lot of people, I like teeth-shattering solid suspensions. Comfort, schmumfort. If I could afford a P85+ to get it, I would, but I can't. I need an S85+

The fishtailing though -- going from Southbound Duval to Northbound MoPac frontage road. There was no one in front of me and no one on the frontage road, which means: take it really fast. I do it all the time. The front of the car was in the center middle lane and the back of the car was well, not. This is probably something that I'd eventually control -- I've driven 4wd cars for 10y now and I'm used to them staying where I put them. I drove rwd cars for 20y before that though, so I could do it again, but -- woa! Not intended!

So...long story long...I'm working on it. I'm definitely not an impulse car buyer. I have to put myself and sometimes the sales adviser through a lot of pain before I can feel good about the purchase. Otherwise I won't feel like I've won the shopping game! Its important for female types to win the shopping game you know.

Upside? At least I don't have to worry about negotiating. I hate that.

I was paying close attention to "how would I use this car every day" instead of "man does this car go fast!".

If I could afford a P85+ to get it, I would, but I can't. I need an S85+

\.

Ha, I hear you. But on the point of "how would I use this car every day" instead of "man does this car go fast!" -- those are the same thing in my book :biggrin:

Yes, the P85+ was simply amazing to me. I thought the steering and handling were great--that's coming from someone coming out of a 911 4S.

Well, keep asking questions. I think you will get there and the S85 will be in your garage sooner rather than later.

Don't get too worried about small items--every car has pluses and minuses.

Ha, I hear you. But on the point of "how would I use this car every day" instead of "man does this car go fast!" -- those are the same thing in my book :biggrin:

Yes, the P85+ was simply amazing to me. I thought the steering and handling were great--that's coming from someone coming out of a 911 4S.

Aha! I'm not bananas. Here is a pretty accurate description of the same thing that I felt: P85+ in the real world - Page 16

The car was all moving around when I wasn't expecting it to. Pitch and yaw and roll and whatever. Ya, what he said.

@texex91: They had a P85+ for you to drive? Should I try that one and end up spending $23000 more than I expected on the car? I couldn't have the car until next year if I do that. If I can make myself save up that $23000, then I know that I want it bad enough.

IMO, 50 miles is too short a distance anyway. For $90-100miles and $125-200miles, AAA coverage is a no-brainer.

Or it's $100 a trip if you get the service contract, right? Or is that different? I figured that would be a perk of getting the service contact? I'm still in my 30 day window and am trying to decide no service contract, service contract no ranger service, or service contract w/ ranger service....I live 4 hours from a service center soooo yeah.

Aha! I'm not bananas. Here is a pretty accurate description of the same thing that I felt: P85+ in the real world - Page 16

The car was all moving around when I wasn't expecting it to. Pitch and yaw and roll and whatever. Ya, what he said.

@texex91: They had a P85+ for you to drive? Should I try that one and end up spending $23000 more than I expected on the car? I couldn't have the car until next year if I do that. If I can make myself save up that $23000, then I know that I want it bad enough.

Yep I made sure it was P85+. Looked three times :)

As a matter of fact I think the guy said there was only one regular P85 the day I drove. All the rest P85+. It was amazing ride and again since I was coming out of a Porsche I had pretty high standards around suspension and handling. I was blown away, and that's why I changed to P85+. It's only money. What r u driving now?

I was always getting a P85 so it was only another $8700 more (plus and air). Other options I already had planned.

What r u driving now?

BMW X6 with adaptive drive. The build I'd get on a new X6 is in the price range of a well optioned S85 or a P85 stripper. A P85+ is at X6M price point. Although I'd drive an X6M if it were given to me, I'd never buy one on purpose. With the way I drive, I'd only get 10mpg in that puppy. (I get 14 from a 35i now :redface:)

Oh -- I scheduled another drive for tomorrow. She's taking me out in all three kinds (P85+, P85 w/air and P85 w/standard). It's late in the day though. Hopefully I can get enough speed up to do what I need to.

Actually, although they mention roadside assistance in the warranty documentation, it is not part of the warranty and covered by a separate document. Flat tires are specifically covered, but if you want coverage beyond 50 miles you'll need to get something else. Here it is (notice the part where it says "Roadside Assistance is not a warranty and is not provided under any Tesla warranty, but is a service intended to minimize inconvenience when your vehicle is inoperable."):

Coverage begins on the date the vehicle is delivered to the first retail purchaser, or put into use, leased, orregistered as a company car or demonstrator, whichever is earlier, in the 50 states of the United States, theDistrict of Columbia or the 13 provinces and territories of Canada (the “North America Region”) and extends for 4years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever occurs first. The vehicle must be covered by the New VehicleLimited Warranty and located in the North America Region at the time Roadside Assistance is requested.

All drivers with the authorization of the owner of a Tesla vehicle that is covered by the New Vehicle LimitedWarranty. These services are transferable with the resale of the vehicle for the time remaining on the coverageperiod, provided Tesla has been notified and provided sufficient proof of the change of ownership. If the vehiclewas not purchased directly from Tesla (for example, purchased as a used vehicle), it is the responsibility of thenew owner to notify and provide Tesla sufficient proof of the change of ownership.

For a flat tire, transportation services are free of charge to the nearest Tesla Service Center, local tire repairfacility, or to your home provided these locations are within 50 miles (80 km) of the vehicle location. You areresponsible for transportation costs beyond this distance or from such locations to any additional location.

For vehicle malfunctions, transportation services are free-of-charge to the nearest Tesla Service Center, or toyour home, provided these locations are within 50 miles (80 km) of the vehicle location. You are responsible fortransportation costs beyond this distance or from such locations to any additional location. It is your responsibilityto provide vehicle transporters with the instructions provided on your Roadside Assistance card, and to ensurethat your vehicle is transported appropriately using a flatbed trailer. No transportation services will be provided forunattended vehicles and a licensed driver must accompany the vehicle at the time of service.

Roadside Assistance is not a warranty and is not provided under any Tesla warranty, but is a service intended tominimize inconvenience when your vehicle is inoperable. Roadside Assistance may not be provided in certaincircumstances, including but not limited to restricted roadways, inaccessible locations (including parking garagesand off-road locations) and hazardous conditions (including due to acts of God or environmental conditions), andis limited to one service call per incident. Tesla reserves the right to limit services and reimbursement to an owneror driver when, in its sole discretion, claims become excessive in frequency or type of occurrence. Tesla alsoreserves the right to revise or discontinue specific Roadside Assistance services at any time without notice orrefund. Tesla’s liability is expressly limited to the cost of the listed benefits. Benefits exclude any costs related toalternate roadside assistance arranged by you, services outside the North America Region, or transportation,repairs, parts replacement, etc. which are incurred as a result of accident/collision, vehicle abuse or negligence,racing, vandalism or any other exclusions or limitations described in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Thesecharges are your responsibility and carry a minimum charge of US$300 or CAD$300 per incident, as applicabledepending upon the location of the vehicle. Also excluded are services for snow tires, installing and removingsnow chains, and any fines, fees, damages or taxes associated with impound or other towing as a result of actualor alleged violation of any laws or regulations. Prices and services described above are latest available at the timeof publication and are subject to change without notice.

Any implied and express warranties and conditions arising under applicable state or provincial laws or federalstatute or otherwise in law or in equity are disclaimed to the fullest extent allowable by law, or limited in duration tothe coverage period. Tesla may subcontract to an independent service provider the provision of RoadsideAssistance and disclaims liability for any acts or omissions of any such providers. Tesla hereby disclaims any andall indirect, incidental, special and consequential damages arising out of or relating to Roadside Assistance,including, but not limited to, loss of vehicle value, time, income, personal or commercial property, or use,inconvenience or aggravation, emotional distress, commercial loss (including lost profits or earnings), bus fares,vehicle rental, gasoline or lodging expenses, damage to tow vehicle, and incidental charges such as telephonecalls, facsimile transmissions, and mailing expenses. The exclusions and limitations in the preceding sentencesshall apply whether your claim is in contract, tort (including negligence and gross negligence), breach of warrantyor condition, misrepresentation (whether negligent or otherwise) or otherwise at law or in equity, even if Tesla isadvised of the possibility of such damages or such damages are reasonably foreseeable.

I also cancelled my AAA membership after 40 years. Since we are both retired, we almost never use both our cars at the same time and we are almost never more than 50 miles from the Fremont Service center. My wife likes to drive the Tesla more than the Lexus, so I think the terms of the towing agreement are OK. In any case, what negatively affected me about AAA was that after 40 years of membership, where we used their emergency road service maybe 10 times total, we had a problem with the battery of the Lexus and needed to call AAA twice in the period of three months (turned out to be a defective replacement battery that Lexus replaced for free). However, the two service calls triggered a not so nice letter from AAA warning us that we only had three calls allowed during a year and our membership was at otherwise at risk. So I wasn't inclined to renew after that.