Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster 1.5/3.0 for Sale $87,499

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Own the original model that started the EV revolution, upgraded with the latest battery technology. The Roadster is an all-electric sports car produced by, California based Tesla Motors, the Tesla Roadster is innovative, efficient, and seductively beautiful; and few things, can boast all three! Perhaps more importantly, the winner of Time Magazine’s 2008 Best Transportation Invention, Popular Mechanics 2006 Breakthrough Award, du Pont Registry’s 2009 Best Green Exotic, and Forbes Magazine’s “Best new car that lived up to the hype”, the Tesla Roadster paved the way to environmentally friendly performance in modern cars. The Roadster has phenomenal acceleration rocketing you to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. (At the dragstrip one evening this Roadster easily bested three Corvettes, a Shelby Mustang, and BMW M5). As one expects of an automobile designed by Lotus, steering is tight and responsive, and the driver feels at one with both the car and the road. The car has about 48,000 miles and has been garage kept with no accidents, in good shape and serviced by Tesla. The body is carbon fiber with heated leather seats. The coolant and brake fluid was changed last year as were the TPMS sensors.

Factory options:
· Carbon fiber hard top (in addition to soft top) $5000
· Premium sound system & navigation $3000
· 240v & 120v Charging cables (standard)
· Forged Alloy wheels
· Soft top with storage bag

Nearly $40,000 of additional options added over last 8 years:
· 3.0 Battery upgrade giving 345 miles of range and a slight performance boost $29,000
Battery & Power Electronics Module (PEM) warrantied until July 2020
· Sound Reduction Package Stage 1 $3000
· Sound Reduction Package Stage 2 (note even then the Roadster is not a quiet car) $1000
· High Power Wall Connector (for charging up to 70 amps) $1950
· 48 amp portable charger $750
· J-1772 adapter (CAN JR) for charging at more than 16,000 public charging stations $650
· Model S adapter (CAN SR) for charging at over 2,700 Tesla destination AC chargers $650
· Hitch – Used for bicycle rack (or to tow gas cars who have run out of gas J) $350
· Tesla Carbon Top Storage bag $250
· Boot Bag for nearly double the storage on road trips $200
· Xeon 35 W headlight upgrade (DDM) $150
· OVMS to track/charge your Roadster (will require GPRS SIMM card) $120
· Black vinyl protection below the doors can be removed if desired. $100
· Additional pre-filter for PEM and motor to help keep them clean and cool

NOTE: Nothing is for sale separately

This first-generation Roadster has some nice features as they decontented later models such as:
· Carbon fiber center console and trunk well.
· Military grade quick connections on PEM
· Adjustable lumbar supports in seats
· Slightly thinner seats for about 1” more headroom
· VDS display by door (charging settings) is easily reached without having to climb in the car
· Full performance power is the default driving mode
· Storage shelf that is much larger than 2.x glove box
· Reliable TPMS
Service_Screen.JPG Range_Graph.JPG 3.0_Rebadging.JPG Longest_Trip_on_a_Charge.JPG Longest_Trip_on_a_Charge.JPG Service_Screen.JPG Range_Graph.JPG 3.0_Rebadging.JPG Longest_Trip_on_a_Charge.JPG Service_Screen.JPG Range_Graph.JPG 3.0_Rebadging.JPG Longest_Trip_on_a_Charge.JPG
Standard equipment
· Air Conditioning
· Power Windows
· Remote Keyless Entry (two keys)
· Dual Front Impact Airbags
· Low Tire Pressure Warning
· Speed Control
· Removable Targa top
· Integrated Garage Door Transmitter
· Heated leather seats

Battery – While the battery was still solid after 9 years, I upgraded to the 3.0 battery to ensure long life as the battery is the one-part, owners cannot service. I get 345 miles on a range charge and 235 on a standard charge. The CAC is 210. I included a graph on the battery, my standard charge level over nearly 7 years.

While the car is a blast to drive and I truly enjoy it, I just retired so a practical car is now of more importance than an exciting car. I never owned a performance car and I bought it for the “economy”, assuming it would be a garage queen. But I cannot keep myself from driving it.

Issues – Over the last 7 ½ years I’ve owned the Roadster I had only two issues which have been fully resolved. The high-voltage controller went out and was replaced and we had an issue with the accelerator pedal circuit and the pedal and wiring were replaced. Not bad for a first-generation car. I have had the PEM cleaned, battery coolant replaced, and the brake fluid replaced, per the maintenance schedule and the TPMS sensors and trunk support struts, were replaced last year.

I live in NE Tennessee (Kingsport) and am willing to transport the car up to 300 miles (deposit required), but farther you will need to decide upon transport, and I will work with you. I prefer a cashier’s check but will entertain other options

Attachments

• Resurfaced_headlights (1).JPG
    Resurfaced_headlights (1).JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 276
  • Roadster_255 (14).jpg
    Roadster_255 (14).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 279
  • Roadster_255 (4).jpg
    Roadster_255 (4).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
  • Roadster_255 (2).jpg
    Roadster_255 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
  • Roadster_255 (13).jpg
    Roadster_255 (13).jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 279
  • Roadster_255 (6).jpg
    Roadster_255 (6).jpg
    486 KB · Views: 275
Year? Non-sport?
The first photo shown by the OP shows this is #255 which means it was likely built in March 2009.

My understanding is that Tesla delivered the first Sport model in July 2009. So this car being offered for sale would not be the Sport version.

It’s a beautiful car and very desirable with the 3.0 battery, in my opinion. :)

Reactions: dhrivnak
Year? Non-sport?
It is a 2008 (1.5) but delivered in March 2009. As all 1.5 this is a non Sport. That said I had the opportunity to race a Sport version 4 times at a drag strip. Surpingly I won 2 races and he won 2. In no case was a car ever more than a car length ahead. I also had an open top and a passenger for each race while the Sport was always solo with the top on.

And with the 3.0 battery the car is faster than stock as 1/4 mile dropped from 13.1 to 13.0 and ending speed has gone from 101 to 107

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest