Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster 1.5 GPS/Head unit replacement

coolVariable

Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles
Let me know what you find. I have been toying with the idea of installing a Android radio - there are some 1DIN 7inch screen ones and it would be nice to have google maps/waze in the car itself.

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Miami
Pretty sure thats a 1.5 with a custom glovebox. The flip screen stereos require shortening the wiper control stalk or putting the wipers on every time you start the car. Theres slim pickings on single din size. I found a nice wireless magnetic charger that fits the drink holder and as I will never be able to be an uber driver I rarely use it unless I need to know how far it is to my destination in case I need to charge on the way

coolVariable

Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles
My Roadster actually has a flip screen radio right now (Kenwood KVT 614) that fits fine without moving the wiper stalk or anything.
I hate the radio though, since they did not wire the backup camera to the reverse lights (ie you need to manually turn on the camera) and the navigation sucks. It's a big screen with no purpose.
I would assume that most 1DIN radios with screens will be fine.

Sadly the state of "smart" car radios is abysmal. I checked XDA and there are some Android radios that sound promising but it is very disappointing overall.

Reactions: X.l.r.8

coolVariable

Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles
How long is your wiper stalk? Mine is 3.75 inches (9cm) long. Goes out as far as the steering wheel.

I wonder if mine was shortened when the radio was installed (lucky me as that makes it easier to find a replacement)

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC