Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla roadster 2009 12v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one tesla roadster 2009 model and I'm wondering where to find the 12v battery? I've been reading at google that the battery is situated on the right side fender of the car, but I can't find it.
I have checked the left side too, but can not find it there either.
Is there anybody who can help me ? Thank you
Sincerely
Jeajo

The 1.5 Roadster has no 12v battery. It uses the first two bricks (I think it's two) in the main pack for that function. The 12v battery as a separate item was introduced with 2.0.

Just curious... Why are you looking for it? (Is there an issue?)

I have one tesla roadster 2009 model and I'm wondering where to find the 12v battery? I've been reading at google that the battery is situated on the right side fender of the car, but I can't find it.
I have checked the left side too, but can not find it there either.
Is there anybody who can help me ? Thank you
Sincerely
Jeajo
What are the last 3 digits of your Roadster VIN? I own #425 which was built in May 2009 so it is a 1.5 version and does not have a separate 12V battery, it is as @gregd described in his post. If your VIN is #500 or later you have a 12V battery as @glight2000 described in his post.

If the car has a gear stick and VDS (little display) on the left side pillar - you have a 1.x car and no 12V battery.
If the car has little push buttons for changing gears, and VDS in the centre (under radio) - you have a 2.x car and 12V battery is in right front wheel arch (need to remove wheel and cover to get to it).

Reactions: wiztecy
The op is from Norway and only 2.x models were sold overseas. It could be a gray market import, but without knowing, the last four digits of the vin won't really help. Foreign cars started the sequence number over. We'd need the entire vin to know which market it is.

The 1.5 Roadster has no 12v battery. It uses the first two bricks (I think it's two) in the main pack for that function. The 12v battery as a separate item was introduced with 2.0.

Just curious... Why are you looking for it? (Is there an issue?)
I know this is a small nit but I can't help myself... It's the first two sheets, not bricks. Each sheet has 9 bricks. Each brick has 69 cells for a total of 6,831 cells (11 sheets).

There are some 1.5s in Norway. I don't know how they got there. Didn't the 2.0 Roadsters start with model year 2010? I thought there weren't any 2009 model year Roadsters. No? I thought he cars made in that year were either 2008 v1.5 or 2010 v2.0.

There are some 1.5s in Norway. I don't know how they got there. Didn't the 2.0 Roadsters start with model year 2010? I thought there weren't any 2009 model year Roadsters. No? I thought he cars made in that year were either 2008 v1.5 or 2010 v2.0
Henry, I think you are correct. It is rather confusing to me about how Tesla referred to the early Roadster "model years". I do recall reading many sources that state that there was never a "2009 Model Year" Roadster. We do know that Tesla built 1.5 cars in the first half of 2009 and 2.0 cars in the secon half, right?

I know this is a small nit but I can't help myself... It's the first two sheets, not bricks. Each sheet has 9 bricks. Each brick has 69 cells for a total of 6,831 cells (11 sheets).
Ack! Of course. "Brick" didn't look right, but the gray matter couldn't come up with "Sheet". Thanks for the correction (can't edit the post now).

There are some 1.5s in Norway. I don't know how they got there. Didn't the 2.0 Roadsters start with model year 2010? I thought there weren't any 2009 model year Roadsters. No? I thought he cars made in that year were either 2008 v1.5 or 2010 v2.0.

I'm confused how two sheets could add up to 12 volts. As I understand it, the 69 cells are in parallel, so 3.7 volts nominal for a brick. A sheet made up of 9 bricks in series adds up to 9 x 3.7 = 33.3 volts. So two sheets would be 66.6 volts, right? I think it adds up because 11 sheets adds up to 366.3 volts nominal (11 x 33.3), which sounds about right.

By the way, sounds like a great idea to get the 12 volts directly from the pack and makes me wonder why Tesla went to a separate 12 volt battery for 2.0 and 2.5 roadsters. Maybe it was somehow less expensive to separate it? My converted porsche 914 has a separate 12 volt battery and so needs a DC to DC converter to charge it from the Lifepo4 pack. I would guess that the 2.0 and 2.5 roadsters would also need a DC to DC converter, right?

By the way, sounds like a great idea to get the 12 volts directly from the pack and makes me wonder why Tesla went to a separate 12 volt battery for 2.0 and 2.5 roadsters. Maybe it was somehow less expensive to separate it?

I was told that it was a regulatory requirement. All the emergency systems (brake lights, hazard warnings, etc) run off that 12V battery so even if main pack goes out, those keep working.

Of course, I may have been told bullshit. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester