Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster and the need to simplify life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S

smoothoperator

It seems like a lot of posters on this board have toyed with idea or are using the Tesla Roadster as their primary/only vehicle. Over the past couple days I have been toying with the idea of simplifying my life, getting rid of all the excess "stuff", moving into a smaller home, and using the Tesla as my only vehicle. While I have had my share of problems with the car, the car is quite liberating. While driving the roadster the thought that "this could very easily be my primary and only car" has popped into my head quite a few times.

There are these tract of Eichler homes (I know they are common in Northern California but quite uncommon in Southern California where I live), and I could totally see my Roadster parked in the carport charging during the day and parked in the 1 car garage at night. Is this a slippery slope of oversimplification? Has anyone actually went through this process? I know its an odd question but I have to think there are other people who have at least thought about doing something like this.

I sent a message to a Roadster owner that (I think) lives a lifestyle similar to what you describe.
Hopefully he shows up here and adds some observations.

By the way, I lived in an Eichler for many years... Lots of light, and simple but only suitable for Mediterranean climates.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1403&d=1297743157.jpg

(Not where I lived... Not my Roadster... Just goofing around with photoshop...)

Attachments

• eichler-tr.jpg
    eichler-tr.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 646
The Roadster is definitely my primary vehicle. I do drive my wife's car to the supermarket or hardware store because where I live, well, not so good on the driving in the parking lot, so it's not my 'only' vehicle.

Yes, this is Eichler central up here. Many have been tweaked recently, turning the central courtyard into a green house which helps a bunch with efficiency (not bleeding all that heat out all that single paned glass). Growing up I was not fond of Eichlers when collecting for my paper route, what with the whole buzzing door thing and all. Though Bill Walsh was so kind and tipped well, it made up for a lot of that.

I sent a message to a Roadster owner that (I think) lives a lifestyle similar to what you describe.
Hopefully he shows up here and adds some observations.

By the way, I lived in an Eichler for many years... Lots of light, and simple but only suitable for Mediterranean climates.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1403&d=1297743157.jpg

(Not where I lived... Not my Roadster... Just goofing around with photoshop...)

Thats an AWESOME picture!!! Thats almost exactly how I envisioned it. I am hoping the member chimes in. I am particularly curious if he has a pv system, and how it looks on an Eichler.

Thats almost exactly how I envisioned it. I am hoping the member chimes in. I am particularly curious if he has a pv system, and how it looks on an Eichler.

Well not quite that "on the money". Probably not an Eichler, and maybe no PV. But, as I recall he lives in a loft with minimal possessions and uses the Roadster as his only personal vehicle. I think his sister made a custom spandex suit for his dog so it could ride around with him in the Roadster without scratching the interior.
Mostly just the concept that a Roadster could be part of a minimalist lifestyle.