Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster auction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://auction01.charitybuzz.com/s...m_id=300116&lotsindex=0&show=10&order=default

"Car #234 will be yours in this historic first year of production. You'll have an exclusive opportunity to tour the final assembly area in Menlo Park giving you and a guest exclusive insight into this revolutionary piece of engineering. This package also includes Tesla Motors apparel and an invitation to the next Tesla Motors Road Show drive event. Reservations and delivery only available within the contiguous 48 states, out-of-service area fee may apply."

Petra Nemcova and the Happy Hearts Fund Ask You to "Save The World, Drive a Tesla"

Up to $120K now, still 14 days to go.

(Sorry James your $109K seems too low)

Charity auctions frequently fetch higher than "retail" price as someone wants to support the charity and will pay a premium to buy that way.

This is sort of interesting. That auction represents a contract for the buyer and seller.

The spec sheet attached includes the HPC and the upgraded wheels and a lot of options at the old prices.

Could be interesting when it comes time for the auction winner to order.

Although at $120,000+ I think Tesla will have to be flexible. Then cannot nickle and dime this owner.

This is a charity auction, right? You would hope the winning bid would be well above the actual cost. Is Tesla donating the whole car, or are they essentially selling it to the charity at a fixed price and the charity gets to keep the difference?

This is a charity auction, right? You would hope the winning bid would be well above the actual cost. Is Tesla donating the whole car, or are they essentially selling it to the charity at a fixed price and the charity gets to keep the difference?

I was told by the charity that the winner gets a tax deduction for anything over $109,000. So I assume that Tesla is selling a car and the charity gets any premium over $109,000.

I was told by the charity that the winner gets a tax deduction for anything over $109,000. So I assume that Tesla is selling a car and the charity gets any premium over $109,000.

I don't believe that this would be an indication of one way versus the other. It is standard IRS contribution deduction policy that you are only able to deduct the amount paid which is in excess of any value received. Also the page does list it as Donated by: Tesla Motors.

Given their cash crunch, is it really prudent for them to be giving away Roadsters like that?

I can see it as a PR opportunity, but as far as I can tell they haven't been saying much about this to anyone. (We just sort of stumbled on it).

I really think $109,000 goes to Tesla Motors and the rest goes to the charity. The person at CharityBuzz.com told me that the car goes into production as soon as Tesla gets the money. I had contacted them to find out the VIN of the auction Roadster.

Does anyone remember what the sale was last year? I thought it went for 160 and then was given back to re-auction and then went for 130 or something.

Now it's worth asking if it's the 10K less stripped down model.

Wonder if FLXX was watching

Tesla Customer update…. The Jason Calacanis Weblog
In November, well after the markets crashed, a Roadster was sold at the Happy Hearts Fund auction in New York City for $160,000. The first buyer then donated the car back to the charity and they resold it that same night for $150,000.

Petra Nemcova and the Happy Hearts Fund Ask You to "Save The World, Drive a Tesla"
The first ever 100% electric sports car, made by Tesla , went for $160K. The winner donated it back to Happy Hearts, and it sold again for $150K. The live auction raised a total of $700,000.

Looks like at least 3 auctions now:

charitybuzz | Save the World, Drive a Tesla - lot #300116
Donated by: Tesla Motors
Lot Closed: Feb 12, 2009 1:06:00 PM EST
Estimated Value:$108,000.00

charitybuzz | liveBID-Tesla Roadster Package - Lot #81808 (Roadster #234)
"Donated by: Tesla Motors"
Lot Closed: Nov 17, 2008 12:10:00 PM EST
Estimated Value: $160,000.00

charitybuzz | liveBID-Tesla Roadster Package - Lot #17201 (Roadster #141)
Donated by: Friends of The Happy Hearts Fund and Petra Nemcova"
Lot Closed: Oct 10, 2007 5:02:00 PM EDT
Estimated Value: $125,000.00

The owner can actually write off the whole car....if it is only used for charity purposes and never for its origional intent. If the car is titled and driven as a normal car...then anything you paid over the value of the car is what can be "written off"

I believe this is the way things work. (all the years at barrett-jackson taught me this)