TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Roadster charged wirelessly

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Raffy.Roma, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

2. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    Nice idea, but 1-1/2 kW kinda sucks.

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Maybe that charging an EV wirelessly is not a powerful way of charging but I would like to install it anyway in my garage. So I could always charge my EV when it's parked. Then, if I need to charge faster, I could use a cable.

- - - Updated - - -

But from Google it does not seem easy to find a dealer selling wireless charging systems. Maybe that some TMC friends in the USA know how to find dealers selling wireless charging systems?

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I may be wrong, but isn't the conversion efficiency of wireless/inductive charging much lower than direct charging? When plugging in the S in your garage is already so convenient, I don't see the benefit or appeal of wireless charging at home. Very cool tech, of course, but expensive to install, slow and inefficient.

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@stevezzzz

You are right it looks that the conversion efficiency of wireless charging is not so good (1/3 loss), but maybe it could be improved by raising the source of energy and taking it closer to the car?

6. shrink

shrink Member

These guys claim 90% efficiency for wireless charging:

Efficiency | Plugless Power

Efficiency
    Efficient power transfer means your EV recharges as quickly as with the cord

Plugless Power recharges your electric vehicle as quickly as traditional corded methods by utilizing efficient inductive power transfer technology.

The Plugless Power technology has achieved over 90% efficiency as measured from your home’s 208/240V electrical outlet to your vehicle’s existing on-board battery charger. This loss of efficiency, which is present in similar electrical devices, does not lead to increased charging times for your EV. Your vehicle will continue to recharge in the same amount of time needed by traditional corded methods, which can range from two to eight hours depending on the size of your vehicle’s battery.

7. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

#7 Raffy.Roma, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    @shrink

I also just found out Plugless Power. Very interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Then I was thinking that for Tesla cars having adjustable suspensions this system could have even a better efficiency. In fact it would be good to lower the car as much as possible while charging to have a better efficiency (better coupling to the electromagnetic field).

8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I really do not see the point as it takes me less than 10 seconds to charge with a chord. 5 seconds when I get out of the car to plug in and 5 seconds to unplug. For this 10 seconds of work I am "rewarded" with a 10+% efficiency gain and 5X the charging rate. After owning a roadster for 28 months I have found it is quite easy to plug in and not a problem at all.

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@David

If you were sharing your garage with other people in a building and you were afraid of being stolen the chord maybe you could prefer to charge your Roadster in a more discrete way by doing it wirelessly.

10. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

The main point of wireless charging for me is aesthetics and safety. No cables hanging all over the place, nothing to trip over or block your movement around the cars. As a secondary point would be automatic charging every time, without having to remember to do it. I've forgotten to plug in on occasion (usually because I need to unload the car of stuff, which I cannot do with it plugged in without having to jump over the cable).

I'd trade some amount of efficiency for those points.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Ride height is not adjustable. Shocks and sway bars only.

12. richkae

richkae VIN587

Wireless charging might have a place at a taxi stand or street parking where you don't want to be dangling cords, or street parking where the charge port is on the wrong side of the vehicle.
    In my own garage I would rather have a cord.

13. asgard

asgard Member

Here, in the Bay Area I've had people unplug my car when it was not done charging and use the cable for their own. I can see Plugless as a solution to this problem.

14. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Agree. Then if you have a solar power system the energy loss would also be negligible.

15. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Not sure I understand where you are coming from here. Solar panels are still expensive and adding extra panels to handle the inefficiency to me is a lose lose. Plugging in is quite easy and high powered. But if this is what most want then more power to you.

16. JohnGarziglia

Need to figure out a way that such a system could be embedded in a road or highway, and the car charged while driving over the coils. Would it be expensive to build? Sure. But such a system could be an electric car game changer.

17. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

#17 Raffy.Roma, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gratz.