Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster deemed a last decennia classic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
E24 a business newssite has an exclusive carsection where they test good cars. They deemed Tesla Roadster one of the cars that will be remembered in 50 years as one of the classics from those 10 years. Take a look at the company it has in the article.

Cobos

E24 a business newssite has an exclusive carsection where they test good cars. They deemed Tesla Roadster one of the cars that will be remembered in 50 years as one of the classics from those 10 years. Take a look at the company it has in the article.

Cobos

The're right about the Tesla but they also think the 'New' Fiat 500 will be remembered?!
The 'New' Fiat 500 will go the same way as the 'New' VW Beetle. Remember the 'new' VW Beetle - - - yep, neither do I:wink:

The're right about the Tesla but they also think the 'New' Fiat 500 will be remembered?!
The 'New' Fiat 500 will go the same way as the 'New' VW Beetle. Remember the 'new' VW Beetle - - - yep, neither do I:wink:
I actually think the Fiat 500 makes sense. Regardless of it's historic routs it works as a car now. It's pretty cheap, can be had with lots of nice equipment like white leather and stuff. It's also a genuinely small car with all the advantages that has for city use. In addition to good safety and decent performance.

The new Beetle at least in Norway was way too expensive and too large. At this point I'm quite sure there are more old beetles than new beetles driving around.

So I really think the Fiat 500 is one of the best retrocars.

Cobos

The New Beetle was the first revisit styling of an old model. When it debuted here in the US it was wildly successful and paved the way for others like the new MINI and now the 500.

That makes it a milestone of some kind, no?

As I recall, VW announced that the New Beetle (which I call the Faux Beetle, as in Faux News) was a big success even before the first cars hit the showrooms. It's called marketing hyperbole. I never saw many on the street, and even now I see more real Beetles than Faux. I wonder how the sales figures of the Faux compare to those of the real one.

The original Beetle owed much of its appeal to US customers to the fact that it was completely unpretentious. It didn't have huge tail fins or big chrome trim panels. Of course the low price, high quality, and excellent mileage compared to the Detroit dinosaurs, didn't hurt.

The Faux Beetle is, by contrast, all pretense. It has a front-mounted upright transverse inline water-cooled engine with front wheel drive, instead of a rear-mounted, horizontally-opposed flat air-cooled engine with rear wheel drive. Sitting in the driver's seat I was unable to touch the windshield, so distorted is the body by the attempt to make it look something like a real Beetle.

A close cousin to the Faux Beetle is the fiberglass kit cars made to look sort of like a type 35 Bugatti formula car, based on an old VW chassis.

The real Beetle changed the automotive world, more than any car since the model T Ford. The Faux one is going out of production, and its replacement looks nothing like it. I doubt if the Faux will be long remembered.