Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla roadster does record lap at Spa-Rancorchamps!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice!
recharger.jpg

XAVIER MAASSEN VICE CHAMP IN B: Meuse-Rhine Journal
[SIZE=-1]Xavier Maassen beat the EV record at Spa with a Tesla Roadster on the 7km long F1 course in the Ardennes. Maassen had success in the Zero Emission Tesla Roadster super car. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
http://www.xaviermaassen.nl/news-blog/xavier-maassen-scherpt-ev-ronderecord-op-spa-aan
{Translated from Dutch} Last week was the kickoff done on the F1 circuit of Spa Francorchamps. The old record of 4:56 was broken decisively. Le Mans driver Xavier Maassen completed the 7.001 km long circuit in 3:11.50. A time many gasoline vehicles would be proud of! Maassen clocked a world record during his average of 135.05 kilometers per hour.
2011_10_19_9999_175.JPG

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Wasn't the prior "big square box" just a 24 or 30 amp fixed level device?

As I recall, the UMC as we know it now arrived soon after RFMCs ceased being made.
(How many of those got made? Maybe a couple dozen?)

RFMC was not a Tesla product, but I suppose you could be talking about it when you mention a "big square box" that has similar features to the Tesla UMC.

Last edited:
Wasn't the prior "big square box" just a 24 or 32 amp fixed level device?

As I recall, the UMC as we know it now arrived soon after RFMCs ceased being made.
(How many of those got made? Maybe a couple dozen?)

RFMC was not a Tesla product, but I suppose you could be talking about it when you mention a "big square box" that has similar features to the Tesla UMC.

this is what i have:

CIMG0057.jpg
CIMG0060.jpg
CIMG0058.jpg
CIMG0061.jpg

Yes, I am fairly sure that original / old box isn't as flexible as the newer UMC (or RFMC for that matter.)
Your old box got obsoleted by the newer model that can generate different amapacity pilot signals based on the type of plug end put on it.
(Most options are for North America though.)

The newer UMC can do 40A as well (more than your 30A box).

Last edited:
More Hmmm... The store for UMC says "North America Only" yet we see it in use in that European video.

Then we see a picture of a USA 30A box with a "Euro" name.

Some of these boxes seem to be ending up on the "wrong side of the pond."

I guess they provide the new style UMC for European customers via the EU stores, but the online web store sells only to North America.
As we saw in other threads, the EU version has slightly different behavior, and different plug ends.

I wouldn't really call the old big one a "UMC". The "Universal" to me meant it could accept a wide range of plug ends and currents.
The old box was more of a "one trick pony", and had a different name like "MC240" (just plain old "Mobile Connector", not "UNIVERSAL Mobile Connector"...) In many cases, only one type of plug end was hard wired on the old MC240, whereas the UMC has the intermediate "California Connector" (twist lock) so you can switch plug ends easily.

Nationaal: Xavier Maassen vestigt met Tesla ronderecord op Circuit Zolder (update) - Racingworld.be

Xavier Maassen Draws Tesla lap record at Circuit Zolder (update)
2 '01 "209, which is the time that the Dutch driver Xavier Maassen was necessary for the Tesla Roadster' ROC 'the four kilometers to go to Circuit Zolder. On October 1 this year was on the same circuit for the speed record for hydrogen karts tightened, and the relatively short term, the circuit including alternative forms of racing (along) to promote. The annual green event Clean Week 2020 opens with the path to a sustainable track, and from a structural point is now the basis the daily reception of electric vehicles.
Tesla wants a shortlist of European circuits to finish a lap record each time the power to put down. Last week was kicked off at the circuit of Spa-Francorchamps and Zolder yesterday's turn. Le Mans and Belcar Pilot Xavier Maassen put the 4 km long circuit in 2'01''209. Maassen clocked a world record during his snelhed average of 118.80 kilometers per hour, at the wheel of a production car by Tesla Motors was previously used for the so-called Race Of Champions (ROC).

Maassen said after the attempt: "I removed most of the Tesla. The second attempt was good, and I do not think I could dive under two minutes. Wondering what the pilot and the boundary of the electric vehicle break 2 minutes in this circuit. For me there is no doubt: the Tesla Roadster is the best car for this kind of record. "

Circuit Zolder press

It's a google translation of the article, hope you understand

Anyhow this means the Tesla Roadster won't stop breaking records!

Human translation and summary (from the video):
The driver mentions that "the motor overheats after 3 laps". All the professional drivers interviewed appeared quite optimistic about the possibility of 100% electric racing, once the technology is ready. One guy also said that racing is the best laboratory for new technologies such as hybrid and 100% electric power trains.
The driver said it was quite interesting to drive along with only the tire noise. At some point they showed an electric race track and joked that some drivers were practicing for future 100% electric races!
They did mention that it takes "3 hours" to recharge. They also listed the various stats for the car (acceleration, range etc...).

Bob Lutz was saying in recent interviews that EV racing lacks something when there isn't much noise.
Race fans need to get used to a less ear piercing competition.

Also, he said that he didn't think auto makers should support (ICE) so much racing anymore because the competitions are so regulated and controlled that innovation is not happening like it once was (other than trying to make minor innovations around the rules.)

On the other hand, EVs aren't routinely doing 200+MPH, so an 'unrestricted' EV race series with few rules allowing all motor types, battery types, etc could be a new thing to consider (and I think they are.) Of course the team with biggest budget is likely to win, but sometimes even a more innovative 'little guy' can triumph.