Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster in zero degrees temps; What precautions 4 battery protection ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster is stored in garage and plugged in to charge at all times.
What other precautions should one take to protect lithium batteries and 12 v aux. battery in zero degree outside weather ?
Any suggestions or problems that other owners may have encountered ? Tesla service reps. indicate there are no concerns.
Thanks,
Dean

If the car is going to be in storage for a few months you can change the charging mode to "Storage". This lets the charge level drop to about 20% and holds it there. A lower charge level is healthier for the battery over the long term.

The cold shouldn't be a problem. The pack will preheat itself before starting to charge.

I know this was a battery Q about leaving the car parked outside, but main thing I think of is tires when temps go below freezing... if you're running Advan Neovas the spec mentions using or storing above 14 degrees F to avoid tire damage. They are intended for summer performance.

Otherwise I think the ESS looks after itself very well as Canadian owners can tell you from year-round use (on different tires).

If you are stretching close to full range travel, allow a little bit of extra buffer until you get a good feel for your energy use due to heater use, wintry conditions, etc.