Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi New here,
I would hoping someone could please help me, I am working on a very special project, I am converting an airplane to be electric, using a Tesla Roadster 1.5 motor. Could someone please tell me, the difference between the 1.5,2.0 and 2.5 motors. How does the 2.0 and the 2.5 gain the addition horsepower over the 1.5 version? Is it different motors, different internal components or software? Also what are max rpms, and what rpms do they make max horsepower and torque?

Very interesting project! Curious how you acquired a Roadster motor and the reasoning for using it in this application? I don't know of the Roadster motor being used anywhere outside of a Roadster, except maybe the first Model S prototype. Have seen quite a few custom builds with Model S motors, as they're more available and have aftermarket support.

I think the difference in motors is between the 1.5 and 2.x regular cars and the 2.x "Sport", with the difference reportedly being in hand-winding more turns into the Sport motor windings. They are otherwise interchangeable, though I expect the inverter uses different control settings. Max RPM is something around 14,000 RPM; max Torque is near zero RPM.

Curious, what are you planning to use for an inverter to drive it? You can't simply apply jumper cables to a battery...

Luck up on a brand new unit. The weight to horsepower ratio is incredible, not to mention instance torque. Just like to get the 288hp .
Have you looked at the specs for heat dissipation? The motor can't produce 288hp for very long before it overheats. You might be able to take off and climb for a minute or two before reducing output to 50 - 100hp for several minutes to cool off. It probably has a better horsepower to weight ratio than the Model S and Model 3 motors because they are liquid cooled. My recollection is that there's almost no difference between the three Roadster motor versions (1.5, 2.x, 2.x Sport) other than outboard cooling channels. The Sport version had a hand-wound stator as the only difference but was otherwise the same.

Reactions: gregd
I am using a modified Model 3 inverter. Thanks for info. I was hoping, someone has put a 1.5 on dyno. Love to see a horsepower, torque curve.
Have you looked at the specs for heat dissipation? The motor can't produce 288hp for very long before it overheats. You might be able to take off and climb for a minute or two before reducing output to 50 - 100hp for several minutes to cool off. It probably has a better horsepower to weight ratio than the Model S and Model 3 motors because they are liquid cooled. My recollection is that there's almost no difference between the three Roadster motor versions (1.5, 2.x, 2.x Sport) other than outboard cooling channels. The Sport version had a hand-wound stator as the only difference but was otherwise

Great information, I am currently building a highly modified Zenith CH701,
. With the intent to compete in the US national STOL events.
. This aircraft was designed for a hundred horsepower. I would only need the additional horsepower for takeoff, only about 5 seconds, the this aircraft only needs about 65 horsepower to maintain cruise speed. I am going to modify the motor from air-cooled to water cool. With a ac heat exchanger . It will be incorporated in the battery,inverter cooling loop. The roadster motor is 30lbs lighter, then model 3 motor. I am also using it because, I found a brand new unit. I couldn't pass up. My intention is to do all the engineering on the roadster motor, and adapt it over to model 3. I can't find any technical info on the roadster motor. That's why I started post.

Very cool project! I hope you keep us posted on your progress. I'm surprised you're converting it to water-cooled. I would have thought being air cooled was an advantage of the Roadster motor. What size battery will you use? It takes a pretty heavy battery to put out 215kW. Have you done other electric conversions?

Thanks for comment, the roadster motor is for proof of concept, From an engineering perspective its going to be a lot easy to adapt the gear reduction, I am going to take lessons learned and adapt technology and carry it over to model 3 motor,the battery packs are custom module each at 10k , each can be removed and installed based on current missions. Whether or not it's in competition or flying cross country.
I used to have R&D company. I specialize in alternative energy and propulsion systems. I have systems located worldwide.