Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster necessary stock item

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Headlight bulb on my Roadster had blown. I called Service Center in Phila to see if I could stop in to have a bulb install(Non HID( (Halogen Bulb 9005XS / HB3A).
I was told they did not have any in stock, they would have to order. I explained how I cannot drive for days with my headlight out. I then asked what type of bulb is it. He said he didn't know.
Long story short. It's extremely frustrating to call your automotive dealer and they don't stock a light bulb for your vehicle. I feel as though the word Roadster at a Tesla dealer is a foreign language. :confused:
I ended up removing the bulb and purchase a new bulb from NAPA for $15. Thank You NAPA...

Headlight bulb on my Roadster had blown. I called Service Center in Phila to see if I could stop in to have a bulb install(Non HID( (Halogen Bulb 9005XS / HB3A).
I was told they did not have any in stock, they would have to order. I explained how I cannot drive for days with my headlight out. I then asked what type of bulb is it. He said he didn't know.
Long story short. It's extremely frustrating to call your automotive dealer and they don't stock a light bulb for your vehicle. I feel as though the word Roadster at a Tesla dealer is a foreign language. :confused:
I ended up removing the bulb and purchase a new bulb from NAPA for $15. Thank You NAPA...

I would have went with HIDs after that bulb blew! Stocks are horrible and dangerous. When I upgraded to the TRS HIDs I also upgraded and matched my high-beam bulb to the same temp as my HID. TRS said that H9 high beam bulb people just don't make anymore and very rare. He sent me an H11 bulb that retro-fitted in there quite nicely.

My CPO Roadster headlights got a lot of gunk (sand, dirt, etc.) in them so instead of opening them up and cleaning them, they just replaced them with the HID lights as part of the warranty.
Thank you Tesla! ;)

It's not unusual that Roadster parts may need to get shipped, but they should be able to FEDEX it from another location (prob Rockville). I've not had any trouble with Philly, but always make sure I go through the Service Manager (Nick). Two annuals, one set of rear tires, one HID headlight upgrade, one switchpack - very happy overall.

Maybe you got a newbie, or there was some miscommunication?

Btw, I believe the old stock bulbs were discontinued, and the Tesla replacement (previously an upgrade) is the full housing with all new bulbs etc. I have found it to make a massive difference in visibility. With the original bulbs, low beams were only ok if no traffic was coming the other way. Old high beams were quite good, but too different from the lows for my eyes to adjust quickly...a little unnerving.