Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster - new key needs what ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Roadsterfolk -

So I've misplaced my key for my 2008 Tesla Roadster Sport. I'm sure it will turn up at the house some month, but in the meantime I'd like to drive it.

Called Tesla (San Rafael) today about getting a new key. They had to get my number to call me back so they could research what the answer was.

They just left me a voicemail and said I should get my insurance involved, because they are going to have to replace several parts on the Roadster - the implication is it's going to cost several thousand dollars.

Huh?

Is this just another case of Tesla corporate-memory forgetting how to work with the Roadsters? I don't remember anyone else talking about this level of complication to get a new Roadster key.

Hi Roadsterfolk -

So I've misplaced my key for my 2008 Tesla Roadster Sport. I'm sure it will turn up at the house some month, but in the meantime I'd like to drive it.

Called Tesla (San Rafael) today about getting a new key. They had to get my number to call me back so they could research what the answer was.

They just left me a voicemail and said I should get my insurance involved, because they are going to have to replace several parts on the Roadster - the implication is it's going to cost several thousand dollars.

Huh?

Is this just another case of Tesla corporate-memory forgetting how to work with the Roadsters? I don't remember anyone else talking about this level of complication to get a new Roadster key.
I remember getting a second key recut from a regular locksmith and reprogrammed at the SC when we took delivery of our CPO with only one key originally.

Yes, I've had a new key and it didn't cost all that much, a couple hundred IIRC. In fact, I found the service invoice:
Concern: Customer states: Cut and program one new key
Cause: Cut and program one new key
Correction: Diagnosis - General
Cut and programmed one new key per customer request.
Part Qty Unit Price
KEY CUT SET, R2 (2005581) 1.00 31.15
Transmitter,RKE systm,434 MHz,Rdstr2 1.00 58.98 (6003342)
31.15 58.98
Labor: 0.50 @ 175.00 = 87.50 Pay Type: Customer Pay
Total $177.63.

Funny story. When I picked it up, they gleefully handed me the new key, and I drove home. Then I realized I STILL only had one key! Went back and forth with them a few times, and eventually found the spare key wrapped up in the towel we keep in the car for de-sanding the dogs when we go to the beach. I was only reminded of this when I was looking up the invoice.

The prior owner ordered the parts for rekeying before I bought it (while Roadsters were still being manufactured). He found the old key so never had anything changed, but he said it was about $700. A box that went into the car for about $450 and 2 key blanks at just over $100 each. Labor might have been more.

I don't know if that was required to replace a lost key or if it was a precaution against someone using the old key.

If you don't have any key, I guess it is more complicated than if you have 1 key and need a second. At the least, probably these parts:
  • 2 new keys
  • 3 new locks (one under driver's door, one at trunk, one ignition)
  • 1 new immobiliser box
Then towing, plus labour for the above. I can see that easily going past $1,000.

When I bought my car a couple months ago, only one key was provided. Knowing how I am with misplacing things, a second key was high on the priority list!

Here's what it took for the Houston SC to do it:
Remote Keyless Entry Kit w/ Immobiliser (part# 6000581) - $67.53
Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items - $218.75

The SC had to drive the car over to a nearby locksmith to have the keys cut, for just a few dollars. I now have 3 keys - 2 new ones programmed to the car, and the old one is only good for unlocking the door (maybe turns the car on? haven't tried).

We should also clarify here that this isn't some quirky "Roadster" or "Tesla" thing, this is pretty standard with a modern car.

Previous car was a Lexus SC430 and it was the same thing. If you have a Master key, it's no problem at all to buy a blank on eBay for $18.00, take it to a locksmith that can cut "Laser Cut Keys" (I don't know why they call them this...they DON'T use a laser to cut them), then you can use the old Master key to program the new key...and use it to program the keyless entry (which is a separate programming step).

But, if you DON'T have a Master key...you're SOL. You're buying new keys, and a new keyless entry ECU (to the tune of $1,200+) to get the car with a working key again.

When I picked up my BMW M-Roadster in 1999, they told me that if I lost all my keys, and then lost the backup keys stored at the factory, they would have to replace a number of computer components in the car and parts and labor would be thousands of dollars.

We should also clarify here that this isn't some quirky "Roadster" or "Tesla" thing, this is pretty standard with a modern car.

Previous car was a Lexus SC430 and it was the same thing. If you have a Master key, it's no problem at all to buy a blank on eBay for $18.00, take it to a locksmith that can cut "Laser Cut Keys" (I don't know why they call them this...they DON'T use a laser to cut them), then you can use the old Master key to program the new key...and use it to program the keyless entry (which is a separate programming step).

But, if you DON'T have a Master key...you're SOL. You're buying new keys, and a new keyless entry ECU (to the tune of $1,200+) to get the car with a working key again.

I know this is an OLD topic, but I had to make an account just to comment. This could not be more wrong. I own a locksmith business, your fancy SC430 would take about 20 minutes to make a key for, at your house, if all keys were lost. My price would be $350 for one new key. Sorry bud, you got got by the dealer.

And they are called "laser" cut because there are two different kinds of cuts, a plunge where it pulls out and goes back in for every cut (which for the most part isn't doable on a high security keyway) or laser cut, which is when the cutter just drags from one cut to the next.

I know this is an OLD topic, but I had to make an account just to comment. This could not be more wrong. I own a locksmith business, your fancy SC430 would take about 20 minutes to make a key for, at your house, if all keys were lost. My price would be $350 for one new key. Sorry bud, you got got by the dealer.
Steve, perhaps you can tell us what to do when one of our Roadster keys quits working. I still have one working key but the other died and a new battery makes no difference.

Does anyone know the name or number of the key blank that is needed to cut a Roadster key?
I went to a Locksmith and the person there (who was probably not the brightest bulb in the box) told me that they "didn't have Tesla key blanks" so they can't cut it.

Does anyone know the name or number of the key blank that is needed to cut a Roadster key?
I went to a Locksmith and the person there (who was probably not the brightest bulb in the box) told me that they "didn't have Tesla key blanks" so they can't cut it.

Does this mean you found another car?

The key blank is for the Lotus, and isn't exactly the same as any other car in the US, but some can be made to work.

Check out this for info.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/lotus-elise-oem-key-94666/

Hi Mike.
How are you and your wife? How is the repair coming along?

Yes, I did get another one (Fusion Red). Just got it the other day, so haven't even gotten around to going to the DMV.
It sadly only came with one key, so I am looking to get some emergency replacements made.
Do you know whether the Lotus keyfobs would also work with our Tesla's?

I hope all is well with you and thank you for all the help.
Kind regards

Reactions: Roadster