Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster on Government of Canada Surplus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Closed Bidding_2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0 (R3OT0009399;AC-TC-Tesla) - GCSurplus

This is a rare Canadian-spec car. It's so similar to mine that people have occasionally confused the two!

2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0, 19299 km.

Tested by Transport Canada
1.The vehicle was acquired as a test asset in March 2010 by Transport Canada to support the department's safety, environmental and performance testing of new and emerging advanced vehicle technologies.
2.Testing was performed by professional drivers on closed circuit testing facilities and in laboratories in North America. Testing performed was non-destructive.
3.Tests were conducted to assess the effects of North American driving schedules, auxiliary electrical loads and temperature on the performance of battery electric vehicles. Significant portions of the testing were performed in support of the development of industry standards, i.e. SAE J1634: Electric Vehicle Energy Consumption and Range Test Procedures. These procedures outline the driving schedules, test procedures, data acquisition requirements and calculation methods required to assess battery electric vehicle energy consumption and determine range. Cold weather testing was conducted as outlined in the test procedures at -7°C. The vehicle was also tested at colder temperatures (down to -20°C), deemed representative of a typical cold winter temperature in most major Canadian cities.
4.Testing was also conducted on the vehicle, under the auspices Canada-US Regulatory Cooperation Council, to support the development of standards for pedestrian alert sound systems for electric and hybrid vehicles. Testing was conducted in accordance with SAE 2889-1: Measurement of Minimum Noise Emitted by Road Vehicles, in a hemi-anechoic test chamber.
5.At the time of purchase, the vehicle was the only fully battery electric passenger vehicle that complied with all applicable Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS). As such, it met North America's stringent safety standards, and could be operated on all roadways in Canada.

The key fob is different too. The car won't start unless you push the Unlock button on the FOB (up to 30 seconds before you turn the key, or after you turn the key). This is to meet the Canadian immobilizer requirements. However that won't have any impact on importing it into the USA.

Also the various labels on the car are bilingual English/French.

Looks to be in really good shape. I wonder how much it will sell for. I have bought many things from GCSuprplus before, and although I know they are not a dealership, I also wonder if the car is insured, and if it's available for test-drives.

> You can export the car to the US but will probably need to change the speedo panel. [djp]

The needle angle would probably still be the same (same internals). I don't try to read the numbers - just go by angle.
--

Diesel powered Roasdter ...

Too bad it's diesel powered... :wink:

Tesla_Roadster_Diesel_Kijiji.png

-------
I guess Kijiji might be missing some options... The main purpose of the posting is probably to direct people to the GCSurplus.ca site. Hopefully it's working and the "diesel" fuel type and "other" drivetrain doesn't throw people off. 849 visits to the ad thus far...

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is on the Dupont Registry:

2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0 for Sale - 1905358 - duPontREGISTRY.com

Tesla_Roadster_Dupont_Registry.jpg

Seems more at home amongst the "Gallery of Fine Automobiles...."

Last edited:
Congratulations to the lucky bidder who (tentatively) won the Tesla Roadster for $79,100.00. Someone just added a very nice car to their collection! Minimum bid amount was $65,000.00.

If the deal falls through, the Roadster may re-appear on GCSurplus.

So, this Roadster appeared at our charging station this afternoon!

alf.jpg

Meet Alf. His daughter and son-in-law were the successful purchasers of the former Transport Canada Roadster. They live in the Vancouver area. Alf is a member of the Vancouver EV club, and was all too happy to volunteer to fly out here and drive the Roadster back to its new home. So naturally the first thing he wanted to do is top up the charge. We spent some time chatting at the local Tim Hortons while his car topped up. He's now starting his trip out with a leg to Peterborough, and then onwards out west via the Sun Country network.

We also took the opportunity to download the car's log. We were able to see a little of what Transport Canada had been doing with it. Among other things, they appeared to be testing the car's range at different speeds, as there are a bunch of long drives at very constant speeds. The speed is so consistent it must have been done on a closed track. Interesting! (Though maybe not for the driver!)

With the car on its way out west, I guess this means there are now only three Roadsters in Ottawa. :frown: