TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Roadster on Government of Canada Surplus

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Closed Bidding_2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0 (R3OT0009399;AC-TC-Tesla) - GCSurplus

This is a rare Canadian-spec car. It's so similar to mine that people have occasionally confused the two!

2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0, 19299 km.

2. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

If I didn't have a Model S in the driveway already this would be tempting. :)

3. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

What are the differences in a Canadian-spec car? Have you seen this car or would be close enough to check it out?

4. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

5. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The speedometer is in km/h and daytime running lights are always on. You can export the car to the US but will probably need to change the speedo panel.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The key fob is different too. The car won't start unless you push the Unlock button on the FOB (up to 30 seconds before you turn the key, or after you turn the key). This is to meet the Canadian immobilizer requirements. However that won't have any impact on importing it into the USA.

Also the various labels on the car are bilingual English/French.

7. eMileage

eMileage Member

8. Steph_S

Steph_S CAN #312 VIN P06173

Looks to be in really good shape. I wonder how much it will sell for. I have bought many things from GCSuprplus before, and although I know they are not a dealership, I also wonder if the car is insured, and if it's available for test-drives.

9. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> You can export the car to the US but will probably need to change the speedo panel. [djp]

The needle angle would probably still be the same (same internals). I don't try to read the numbers - just go by angle.
    --

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I can assure you that the car was very well cared for. Only three engineers were allowed to drive it. It wasn't winter driven. The last time I saw it, it looked to be in mint condition.

11. eMileage

eMileage Member

#11 eMileage, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Diesel powered Roasdter ...

Too bad it's diesel powered... :wink:

Tesla_Roadster_Diesel_Kijiji.png
    -------
    I guess Kijiji might be missing some options... The main purpose of the posting is probably to direct people to the GCSurplus.ca site. Hopefully it's working and the "diesel" fuel type and "other" drivetrain doesn't throw people off. 849 visits to the ad thus far...

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is on the Dupont Registry:

2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0 for Sale - 1905358 - duPontREGISTRY.com

Tesla_Roadster_Dupont_Registry.jpg

Seems more at home amongst the "Gallery of Fine Automobiles...."

12. Steph_S

Steph_S CAN #312 VIN P06173

Congratulations to the lucky bidder who (tentatively) won the Tesla Roadster for $79,100.00. Someone just added a very nice car to their collection! Minimum bid amount was $65,000.00.

If the deal falls through, the Roadster may re-appear on GCSurplus.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So, this Roadster appeared at our charging station this afternoon!

alf.jpg

Meet Alf. His daughter and son-in-law were the successful purchasers of the former Transport Canada Roadster. They live in the Vancouver area. Alf is a member of the Vancouver EV club, and was all too happy to volunteer to fly out here and drive the Roadster back to its new home. So naturally the first thing he wanted to do is top up the charge. We spent some time chatting at the local Tim Hortons while his car topped up. He's now starting his trip out with a leg to Peterborough, and then onwards out west via the Sun Country network.

We also took the opportunity to download the car's log. We were able to see a little of what Transport Canada had been doing with it. Among other things, they appeared to be testing the car's range at different speeds, as there are a bunch of long drives at very constant speeds. The speed is so consistent it must have been done on a closed track. Interesting! (Though maybe not for the driver!)

With the car on its way out west, I guess this means there are now only three Roadsters in Ottawa. :frown:

14. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Great story! Alf certainly had a great adventure.

Notice where the photo at the top of the article came from... scroll upwards!