Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster on SpeedTV's "My Ride Rules!" - Wednesday nights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured he must have won when he invited a bunch of friends over for a live "show watching party".
Would you do that if you lost?
Absolutely would have. Got my 15 minutes of fame and more importantly, put Tesla & EVs on a stage not usually interfaced by the EV community. If I lost, I had my spin-doctor, Monday-morning-quarterback analysis on 'why!' ;-)

Hey Dr. Taras, where did you get the statistic for the number of moving parts, and does that just include the drive train? and what was the number again? 13? 18?
17 moving parts in the "motor" not engine. I'll leave it up to one of the smart guys who reads these posts to point you to where you can find that info (& to fact check it). In my new-found Hollywood fame, we call those people groupies! ;-))

Rather be a fan or enthusiast instead of groupie, but here is a response:
Yes, You Want This Car - Tesla Roadster - geekrebel's posterous
...The entire powertrain has only 17 moving parts of which 15 are in the gearbox which is a clutchless 2 speed setup where 1[SUP]st[/SUP] will take you to almost 70 while 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] tops out at 130 mph...
So that "17 moving parts" quote was for the original prototype (2 speed gearbox) powertrain (whole powertrain, not just motor) that never made it into production.

An Engineering Update on Powertrain 1.5 | Blog | Tesla Motors
VFX said:
...Gearbox 1.0 and Motor were said to have 17 moving parts. What is the new count in 1.5?...
BrettBaier said:
...The answer is 12 moving parts...

I suppose it depends on what you are counting... Wheels? Half Shafts? C-V joints? Differential Gears? etc...

Wow, the number of crackpot comments in that thread gives me pause... One suggesting perpetual motion machines with scoops in the hood that generate power as you drive (violates first and/or second law of thermodynamics). Another suggesting covering the car with solar cells to charge it continuously in daylight (the sun delivers about 1 watt of power peak per square meter, so the surface could deliver a few watts total in reality).

12 moving parts. Would be interesting to see the breakdown. Exactly how do you define a moving part? Does one separate the rotating parts from bearings and list them in their own categories? How many comparable moving parts are in an 8 cylinder ICE's engine/drive train? 2000?

Last edited:
Wow, the number of crackpot comments in that thread gives me pause... One suggesting perpetual motion machines with scoops in the hood that generate power as you drive (violates first and/or second law of thermodynamics). Another suggesting covering the car with solar cells to charge it continuously in daylight (the sun delivers about 1 watt of power peak per square meter, so the surface could deliver a few watts total in reality).

Yes, the early blogs and forums used to be overrun with that stuff a few years back. Thankfully I think people wised up and were otherwise enlightened.

(the sun delivers about 1 watt of power peak per square meter, so the surface could deliver a few watts total in reality).
That can't be right. I've certainly seen solar panels much smaller than one square meter that claim to deliver much more than 1 watt of power. Example .75 sq meters, 100 watts Amazon.com: Instapark® 100W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel, 100 Watt: Patio, Lawn Garden Certainly not cost effective but a few of these on a vehicle sitting in the sun all day should translate into a few miles of range. DC Auto Show: Destiny 2000, the Solar Fiero Photo Gallery - AutoblogGreen

The sun delivers about 1 watt of power peak per square meter, so the surface could deliver a few watts total in reality.

The Sun delivers over 1kW of power per square meter on the surface on a sunny day. I had to work it out a few times for an astro exam in January and I think the simplistic theoretical figure was 1.4kW. Solar panels are however only roughly 15%? ish efficient, so that's why a small area has such a small available power. One interesting question we had was to work out the insolation on an area occupied by a coal power station. If you could convert all of the solar power (impossible, 100% efficient conversion), that area would put out more power than the equivalent coal power station. Cool stuff, physicists know how to have fun.

Another suggesting covering the car with solar cells to charge it continuously in daylight (the sun delivers about 1 watt of power peak per square meter, so the surface could deliver a few watts total in reality)
Hmmm... can you say Fisker
(look for fine print disclaimer stating it is just for cabin cooling - but look for innuendo that it charges the car)

Never made it? I thought the first 42 cars had that gear box? In any case, just shows you how long I've been around (old man) this Tesla thang! :redface:
Well, those first ones were "locked in 2nd gear". I am not sure if that means that they removed some parts. In any case, those don't exactly count (IMHO) since they retrofitted them with the more simple drive-train as soon as they could.