Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster RC car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I know what they mean.

One of those perspective shots with the hotwheel very close, the RC model further, and the real car far enough back that all look the same size.

Like this sort of thing:
ferrari-355-on-aylmer.jpg

Yes, TEG and Dave have figured out what I meant. There's probably a technical photography term for what I have in mind, but not being much of a photographer, I don't know what to call it. I'm not even sure it's possible; the depth-of-field for such a shot would have to be very large, I'd imagine.

EDIT: maybe the term for what I'm thinking of is forced perspective.

Last edited:
Yes it's a forced perspective miniature. I have done it in many forms many times.

It would be an exercise that would result in a picture of three identical cars next to each other. Each one with a bit more surface detail. Ultimately not very interesting to look at.
Only exciting for the photographer that went to the trouble and few geeks that were in on the technique.

Must say, having had a go with one, it's a bit anemic :frown:

I was expecting something with a bit of get up and go, like my Tamiya Falcon from the 1980s (was nowhere near the fastest but probably what got me into EVs back then). In fact when I put the Roadster in performance mode and plant my right foot, I now know what it feels like to be the little plastic guy that was driving that thing :biggrin:.

I think there'd be a great tie up with them to make a truely fast r/c car that could stick it to the 370Z, M3 and F1 models out there that have no right running on electrons. Some electric ones will do well over 100 mph* but that is down to hobbyists pushing the limit. I'm sure a self-build, fast Roadster would inspire a few kids (and big kids).

*specs

Brushless TC4 by AutoPartner RC/autopartner.se

Mamba Max 7700 motor setup
DesirePower 5S 3700mAh 25C LiPo batteries
135.3mph/218kmh