TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Roadster recall

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by graham, May 28, 2009.

1. graham

graham Active Member

Tesla Recalls 75% Of Its Roadsters

2. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

Wow, shame they'll have a ding in their reputation due to Lotus assembly. Worse still, it's simply an under-torquing of crucial bolts? What a cheap-shot they've been dealt!

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

ouch indeed

4. Grin

Grin Member

I've been told by Tesla that letters and emails will be sent out later today to those affected.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#5 doug, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    Do they really have to fly out technicians? Can't they contract with local shops (perhaps Lotus dealers)? I guess it's hard to guarantee the work that way, though.

6. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

#6 DaveD, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    Seattle owners won't need a technician to fly up here. Tesla's Seattle Service Manager is a hands-on guy that can take care of this. I had a minor trunk latch problem happen to me on Memorial Day. I called his cell number and left a voicemail, expecting him to get back to me the following day. Instead, I got a call back from him just a few minutes later. He came over to where I work the next day, and had the issue resolved in a few minutes. I have no complaints about Tesla's Seattle service! :smile:

The first time I met him was about a week ago, when I was visiting another Roadster owner. Yet another Roadster owner lives near to the one I was visiting. The Service Manager had finished helping the nearby owner with some issue, and stopped by to introduce himself to us (and to get a quick charge for the Roadster he was driving). He was eager to discuss any problems or nits we had with our Roadsters.

7. SByer

SByer '08 #383

All cars have reca- uhm, service campaigns. This one sounds pretty darned minor compared to most. Sounds like a fairly quick and easy fix.

8. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

Shouldn't Lotus have to pay all of the expenses for this recall since it was their manufacturing facility that screwed it up?

9. SMCM

SMCM New Member

Minor details... I am impressed with how Tesla going to take care of the owners. This above and beyond service and quick action is not common among manufacturers.

10. graham

graham Active Member

A little more information:

Lotus Recalls 2009 Elise and Exige After Tesla Roadster Problem Reported

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

most of the comments on the source article seem to see through the sensationalism

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It's a Lotus problem that Tesla found and told them about it. Now Lotus is recalling cars as well.

Tesla are the heros here.

13. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I wonder if Lotus will have to reimburse Tesla for the costs of fixing this issue.

14. SuperB

SuperB Member

I have a Tesla as well as a Ford GT. The GT had an issue with bolts as well and Ford took a year to do anything, basically trying to wait until the cars were out of warranty, but they eventually fixed them.

Tesla appears to be on the ball here, just wish they had fixed this when they were out just a couple days ago so I didn't have to wait again.

Tesla hired Lotus, so it lands on Tesla to fix the Roadsters. Same thing with the Ford GT, Ford didn't make the bolt that failed, but it was up to them to correct the issue.

15. graham

graham Active Member

Not really much new information:

Tesla Motors recalls 345 Roadster sports cars - Los Angeles Times

But it is interesting:
    Why does it effect 27 Lotus cars and 345 Tesla cars? Is the suspension that Tesla uses uncommon for Lotus? Or are Lotus cars not selling well these days?

16. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

The question was not WHO will fix the car, but who was responsible for the cost of fixing the car. I believe it would come down to the contract wording between Tesla and Lotus.....

17. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

The clause which states that key Lotus personel are required to stand in line and get their nuts tightened.

Honestly. What a screw-up!

...Or not enough of one.

18. billarnett

billarnett Member

Tesla is just being super-cautious and making sure everything is 100% OK. They knew that only a handful of the cars were likely to be affected but decided to recall them all anyway just to make sure. And sent a tech to your home to do the job to further reduce the inconvenience to the owner. That's the kind of customer support that makes me really happy to be a Tesla customer!

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

i agree that what Tesla has done is quite good, but... what?