TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Roadster Secondary Battery

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by racevpr, Feb 16, 2016.

1. racevpr

racevpr Member

The second Roadster battery resides behind the passenger headlight, behind a wheel well curtain.

It is a 12 Volt, 8 Amp Hour AGM battery, which is a sealed, maintenance-free design, instead of a wet cell which requires
    periodic maintenance. This battery receives a constant charge from a DC to DC converter in the main propulsion battery pack.

These batteries are designed to last no more than 3 years in ideal temperature controlled environments. In a Roadster,
    especially in 4 zone climates, you are lucky to get two years out of this battery.

I changed my battery over two years ago, upgrading the 12V-8AH to a larger capacity 12V-12AH GPS UPS grade battery. This size fits perfectly
    into the battery bracket, and requires two minor modifications - 2) 1/4" spacers for the mounting bracket, and a terminal to F2 Spade
    lug conversion for the 12V-12AH UPS battery. I have had no issues, and instructions on how to install this superior performance replacement battery can be found at:

Roadster Battery.jpg