Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster Sport Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't seem that complicated to me. In fact I think most people would naturally expect a Roadster Sport to slightly outperform a normal Tesla Roadster. That is what we are paying for on the Sport model.

The way the actual numbers work out the acceleration of a non-Sport Roadster in performance mode equals a Sport Roadster in standard mode.

Last edited:
I still don't get it. My understanding is that Performance Mode doesn't release more power from the battery to the motor. It's always max. The difference is in other areas, but not the power that's allowed to flow. And since the Sport model has 15% more max power and torque, then regardless of the setting Standard vs Performance, the Sport model will always provide more power/torque when you floor the accelerator as compared with the non-Sport model.

If I'm wrong, then my understanding is incorrect, and I'd like to be corrected with the real facts. Anyone know for sure?

It still seems like you are misreading something. The sport model *does* always provide more power/torque when you floor it as compared with the non-sport model (unless power limited due to temp, etc).

The sports model still has a performance mode because the components still has a temperature operating envelope, and performance mode will still allow operation further into that envelope, as well as allowing the batteries to be charged to max. This means performance mode, is still going to give better numbers on the same car than standard mode (at least while the batteries are topped off, and before the PEM overheats completely).

Even without that though, it operating in its standard mode (batteries not charged >80%, stricter thermal limits) is about as fast (according to these reports) as the normal roadster operating under the loosened conditions with batteries charged to 100% (they can give a bit more power discharge at the top of their charge).
It of course gets even faster when you set it to performance mode.

All that said, I wouldn't put too much meaning into a catchy off-the-cuff quote and instead just think of it as the same car, same system design, but with the higher power motor and the other PEM/ESS 2010 improvements, plus the suspension change.

It still seems like you are misreading something. The sport model *does* always provide more power/torque when you floor it as compared with the non-sport model (unless power limited due to temp, etc).

The sports model ... operating in its standard mode (batteries not charged >80%, stricter thermal limits) is about as fast (according to these reports) as the normal roadster operating under the loosened conditions with batteries charged to 100% (they can give a bit more power discharge at the top of their charge).
It of course gets even faster when you set it to performance mode.

This is my understanding. It would be useful to know the numbers. I just never assumed that performance was that much greater at 100% charge than 90% charge. It would have to be a 15% increase in power (voltage, right?), and I don't think it's that much. That's what would be required for the Sport at 90% charge to be equal to a non-Sport at 100% charge. Other than the thermal limits, which don't matter for a single 0-60 run, the state of charge and the max performance capabilities of the two cars, are the only two variables that affect what we're trying to measure here.

Here are the first pictures of my Tesla Roadster Sport. Special thanks to Ted at Tesla Motors and his handy cell phone camera !!!

Flickr: Peak Oil Garage's Photostream

3730889586_2212305d4a_d.jpg

3730091445_fc6ba1c718_d.jpg

3730091039_b79df0818d_d.jpg

After two months with the car, I find the steering wheel and non-power steering just about perfect - so I think that complaint in the review is an "it's different than what they're used to" thing. The only time I wish different is making that turn out of the driveway after backing out of the garage.

I'm a touch jealous of the adjustable suspension, as I have found a couple of places on the junky San Jose streets that could use the suspension in my '08 a bit stiffer.

Here are the first pictures of my Tesla Roadster Sport.

The performance tires on the black wheels look nice! Also, is that a different bracing arrangement on the underside of the hood?

Is that the only Sport badging? Nothing different on the back?

Exec leather seems to be missing from around the instrument cowling. (And no contrast colored steering wheel)

Last edited:
Is that the only Sport badging? Nothing different on the back?

Exec leather seems to be missing from around the instrument cowling. (And no contrast colored steering wheel)

I have no idea on sport badging. Those were the only pictures Ted took with his cell phone.

As for the missing executive leather elements, I cannot really tell from the pictures. Contrast stitching does appear to be there.
The picture of the steering wheel only shows a small corner of it, but it does not reveal the lower half that should be the second color (red).

This car was just a glider when those pictures were taken. Many some elements are finished in Menlo Park.

This was about a month ago. John Rokos told me the first batch of carbon fiber hardtops did not meet their standards, so they were sent back to the company that does that work. They are not putting pressure on this company because Tesla Motors wants it done right, not fast. That is the approximate summary of what I remember. No time frame provided.

I heard from TEG that my Roadster Sport had a sign on it today that indicated ready for shipping.

Truck picks it up on Wednesday and expecting delivery late Thursday.
Wayland Invitational starts Friday in Portland Oregon.

It feels like December 23rd or 24th to me right now.:biggrin:

Roadster Sport unique badging

UNIQUE BADGING

Roadster Sport badges on Power Electronics cover, doorsills, and rear bumper
Looks like there's also a contrasting "S" in the "TESLA" stitching on the seats.

3784534122_8b228d30da_b.jpg
Door sills

Rear bumper

contrasting "S" on the seats

Does anyone have a photo of the special badging on the PEM cover?

There is nothing special on my rear bumper or PEM.
Only the door sill and the S on the seat is a different color, although I am not sure if the S is a sport thing or a 2010 thing.

I was told they forgot to put something on my car and they are sending it to the local service manager in Seattle. But I forget what it is.