TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Roadster Travels 313 Miles on a Single Charge

Discussion in 'News' started by donauker, Oct 27, 2009.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#2 vfx, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
    Wow that's great news and it sure seems to be credible. The whole "not in the US so it's not real" may be a bit of a hurdle but I'm sure more of these records will come.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Well you know the Coriolis force gives you more range south of the equator. ;)

Any word what the average speed was during the trip?

3. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Average speed is a key factor. Also of interest is that the vehicle had two occupants.

4. donauker

donauker Member

This quote was rather amusing. I am not sure how you would apply the the ability to locate updrafts and best utilization of ridge lift to driving the Roadster. :wink:

But the practice of keeping the optimum speed nailed down would probably be a plus.

5. J in MN

J in MN S60 P12635

6. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

They are validating what is published in the "Range vs. Speed" graph: Roadster Efficiency and Range.

They should try driving 29 km/h (18 mph) : 410 miles range predicted.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Are we sure there was a passenger or was the co-driver was riding in the support vehicle. Was the roof on? Windows up? AC?

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Any Tesla owners that are involved with hypermiling and cleanmpg.com? While the Tesla is a high performance vehicle, in the hands of a trained hypermiler I see no reason that the 244 mile range couldn't be doubled....or nearly so.

9. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

This is an economy challenge so the record was achieved with two people, Simon and Emilis, roof on, windows up and AC off!
    The temperatures earlier in the event were 41 degrees C (106 Degrees F) and almost certainly hotter inside the car!:eek:
    The temperature on the day of the record was slightly lower around the high 30's C or 90 to 100 deg F.

10. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

I do not think any of us ever considered the Roadster a "punishment" car :biggrin:

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

As many of the commenters pointed out, it's a stunt by a one-off car, not a production vehicle.